• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanachan01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Subaru19 wrote:
The translated version of CLAMP's Tsubasa Chronicles.

I have a good reason for not liking the translation of this manga. Del Rey did probably the shoddiest manga adaptation in the world. they scanned pages so that you can't read the text, they transliterated Fai's name three different ways. The translation makes the story really hard to follow. Sometimes the text doesn't even make any sense. I'm sure the original doesn't suffer from these issues, but still. there's no excuse for this kind of mistake making.

I bought three volumes of this manga hoping that eventually they would work out the translation/scanning issues, but nope. Nada. No change in three volumes. I nearly had a fit. Especially because CLAMP work is some of my favorite stuff out there.

Del Ray usually does very good translations and printing. They also include a lot of extras. I have volumes one and two of Tsubasa, and they turned out pretty good. My version also transliterated Fai's name only as "Fai." It's possible that the bad printing quality is due to a bad run, and I don't knwo about Fai.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
Subaru19 wrote:

I have a good reason for not liking the translation of this manga. Del Rey did probably the shoddiest manga adaptation in the world. they scanned pages so that you can't read the text, they transliterated Fai's name three different ways. The translation makes the story really hard to follow. Sometimes the text doesn't even make any sense. I'm sure the original doesn't suffer from these issues, but still. there's no excuse for this kind of mistake making.

I bought three volumes of this manga hoping that eventually they would work out the translation/scanning issues, but nope. Nada. No change in three volumes. I nearly had a fit. Especially because CLAMP work is some of my favorite stuff out there.

Del Ray usually does very good translations and printing. They also include a lot of extras. I have volumes one and two of Tsubasa, and they turned out pretty good. My version also transliterated Fai's name only as "Fai." It's possible that the bad printing quality is due to a bad run, and I don't knwo about Fai.

Actually it was his last name. I can go back and look at it, but I clearly remember "flolite" and "flowrite" and the name in the back was different. One of these cases was in a small panel, but I feel like any good QA could have caught the error. Admittedly the stuff translated by Lillian Olsen is very good. I've always enjoyed her work. So not all the stuff Del Rey puts out is bad, but in this case I still feel like the translation came up short. I like the extras, in fact I think the extras are really neat, but I feel like even those can't make up for the translation errors.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Bomber Girl by Niwano Makoto. It's Horrible let's just leave it at that.If you've read it, you'd know what I'm talking about. Anime cry It's not even worth a dollar.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing that in stores a few years ago. I never opened it and looked at it as the cover looked horrible and I had no desire to confirm it.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I remember seeing that in stores a few years ago. I never opened it and looked at it as the cover looked horrible and I had no desire to confirm it.

Yeah I agree the cover is retarded,unattractive,horrible, the illustrations are ugly. The book was downright ugly, this was the ugliest,stupidest manga I have ever had the mispleasure to read and come across to see. I was 13 or so when I read that and I've regreted it ever since. DO NOT READ THIS MANGA. lols I saw the other peoples posts and it contained Kill me Kiss me, Princess Ai. Those are seriously alot, I mean ALOT BETTER than this one.
You made the right choice of not even bothering to open it HitokiriShadow. That book by the way was given to me as a gift, eventhough its ugly I appreciated the that she remmebered me, It's the thought that counts. Although it is ugly [very].
Saviour Atrhun Zala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
For me it was the FLCL manga... they tried to recreate the wackiness but it didn't quite work....

I agree.the manga FLCL was no where near as funny. I thought it was just kinda out there in the boring way
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
[quote="KAtchan15"][b]Bomber Girl [/b]by Niwano Makoto. It's Horrible let's just leave it at that.If you've read it, you'd know what I'm talking about. Anime cry It's not even worth a dollar.[/quote]

Lol. Thats one of my guilty pleasures.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:
Bomber Girl by Niwano Makoto. It's Horrible let's just leave it at that.If you've read it, you'd know what I'm talking about. Anime cry It's not even worth a dollar.

Never heard of this manga but for some reason now Wink I'm terribly afraid to ask what is all about. Utter horror or guilty pleasure: it seems it triggered different reactions. Laughing
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
smoochy wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:

Never heard of this manga but for some reason now Wink I'm terribly afraid to ask what is all about. Utter horror or guilty pleasure: it seems it triggered different reactions. Laughing

LOLZ!! yeah true, I guess that guys, which I'm pretty sure smoochy's a guy hahaha, Guys like it probably because of the huge boobs and sexy body that the main charcter "Rashomon Emi" [just by the sound of this name you know that the book is bad hahaha], she's a bounty huntress and the book is filled with gruesome violence and tit envy jokes hahaha. I can't blame the guys for liking this manga though, [her boobs are huge]. Overall, the horrible illustrations and bad storyline, makes this book unsatisfying. Anime cry but guys will find this book tolerable due to the boobs and stuff . lol Wink

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
-trawling back to the beginning of the thread- Aww, I loved Loki Ragnarok! I've read scans of the first manga series and I own the first volume of the sequel, which is indeed a lot easier to understand after you watch the anime. Unfortunately, Loki is incredibly hit-or-miss, so you'll either be charmed by the cheesy cuteness of it or just think it's stupid.

Anyway, the worst manga I've ever read is probably Samurai Deeper Kyo. Fortunately I got it free because my downtown manga shop was having a going-out-of-business sale. It looked cool from the summary on the back, but the characters were uninteresting, the women were all sluttish, and the story didn't seem like it would end up going anywhere at all. Maybe I'll sell it to make room for more Saiyuki <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Subaru19 wrote:
hanachan01 wrote:
Subaru19 wrote:

Actually it was his last name. I can go back and look at it, but I clearly remember "flolite" and "flowrite" and the name in the back was different. One of these cases was in a small panel, but I feel like any good QA could have caught the error. Admittedly the stuff translated by Lillian Olsen is very good. I've always enjoyed her work. So not all the stuff Del Rey puts out is bad, but in this case I still feel like the translation came up short. I like the extras, in fact I think the extras are really neat, but I feel like even those can't make up for the translation errors.

Actually it was his whole name they got wrong (It's Fay D. Flourite, not Fai D. Flowrite), but it's not Del Rey's fault for that since the official spelling of his name didn't come out until the first character guide came out when the US translations of TRC was already around the fifth or sixth volume (I think they actually mention this in one of the volumes). You don't know the hell of figuring out the correct spelling of a non-Japanese name in Japanese. Most of the time, you will get it wrong, although it's odd that Del Rey never asked Clamp about it.

Also, Del Rey's translations is above par. I follow TRC in Japanese because I can read it and it's cheaper that way and read the English translated ones and they pretty much got it right.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:01 am Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:

LOLZ!! yeah true, I guess that guys, which I'm pretty sure smoochy's a guy hahaha, Guys like it probably because of the huge boobs and sexy body that the main charcter "Rashomon Emi" [just by the sound of this name you know that the book is bad hahaha], she's a bounty huntress and teh book is filled with gruesome violence and tit envy jokes hahaha. I camn't blame the guys for liking this manga though, [her boobs are huge]. Overall, the horrible illustrations and bad storyline, makes this book unsatisfying. Anime cry but guys will find this book tolerable due to the boobs and stuff . lol Wink

Laughing Now I understand everything. Laughing Thanks for enlighting me, cause now I will definetly avoid this manga but do my best not to forget the name of the main character (which is funny, we must admit that Laughing ). Either way, I also understand the various reactions that this manga triggered. Laughing So most probably the girls will hate it and the boys will like it. Therefore.. utter horror or guilty pleasure. Laughing Wink
Subaru19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:

Actually it was his whole name they got wrong (It's Fay D. Flourite, not Fai D. Flowrite), but it's not Del Rey's fault for that since the official spelling of his name didn't come out until the first character guide came out when the US translations of TRC was already around the fifth or sixth volume (I think they actually mention this in one of the volumes). You don't know the hell of figuring out the correct spelling of a non-Japanese name in Japanese. Most of the time, you will get it wrong, although it's odd that Del Rey never asked Clamp about it.

Also, Del Rey's translations is above par. I follow TRC in Japanese because I can read it and it's cheaper that way and read the English translated ones and they pretty much got it right.

Well, to be fair I've never read the original Japanese so if it's as disjointed in Japanese as it is in English than I apologize to the translator. I personally found it really awkward to read in English. But my major quip about Fye's name was the fact that there was no quality checking going on. Certainly it's fine if you don't come up with the official transliteration, which is sometimes impossible I'll agree, BUT your transliteration should be consistent even if it's wrong.

EDIT: I also realize this is really nitpicky, so if I sound like I'm being unfair it's probably true. ^__^ I really respect manga translators including those who translate under pressure. It's just my opinion that they should always have someone on backup to check for what slips through the cracks. From what I can tell on other Del Rey series they DO have quality checkers and adaptors that work with translators... anyhow sorry. Anime smile
Zetsuei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Gemini Angel wrote:
Brain Powered. I couldn't even get through the second volume it was so bad. It made zero sense first something happened and then it says something like 1 year later then it happens all over again either I got a bad copy or they repeated a chapter purposley.

lol, I gave up after half a volume because it was so random and stupid.

Anyway Black Cat for me. "Best selling manga"? (says the ad on top of this very site). WTF?
It's nothing but plagiarism from several series and the little bit that isn't is generic crap you find in virtually all shonen series out there.

And One Piece. Hideous and pretty much the corniest story ever along with cliched to hell plot twists and . Not to mention nearly 40 volumes of ZERO character interaction aside from poor attempts of manzai comedy that were basically 3 different jokes repeated over and over and OVER again until you couldn't take them anymore.
The only thing that kept me reading was the general adventuring theme and the halfway interesting fights. Skypia and Water 7 even had semi-interesting stories (and Water 7 had for the first time ever any real interaction between the main characters) but when they went for Enies' Lobby it got as crappy as ever (Spaghetti fighters? WTF?).
It could have been alright as really goofy and random comedy but for that it takes itself far, far too serious at times, like all the "sad" (generic and cliched) backgrounds and such.
But the saddest thing about it is that the manga is worth gold compared to the anime. Like half of each episode is "filler" like useless dialogue and shots that don't contribute even the slightest bit to plot progression or even covering that manga.
It's far worse than one year of filler because there at least the canon part is relatively safe from filler.

Another crappy manga is Ouran Highschool Host Club. The art is generic and pretty ugly but it's worse that the main character is probably the most boring girl ever who loves to state common sense to a group of others who freak out over stuff like instant ramen.
This is about as boring and stupid as you can get.

Saikano also sucks pretty bad. Created seemingly for the sole purpose of making the reader cry, the entire drama is far too forced, phony and absurd for you to really care.

Argento Soma takes the cake for animes gone manga. The anime is among my favorites but the manga tries to cram all of that into A SINGLE VOLUME and completely and utterly fails because of that.

One of the greatest disappointments was Monster. The first 10-11 volumes were really good, in fact volume 9 was plain awesome. But then it started to decline, the pace dropped considerably and the plot wasn't progressed by the main character anymore (who got pushed aside into the background) but by a billion of random, new introduced characters. All with their own little story and none of them really connected.
Not to mention each of them was beyond boring and needlessly made everything confusion and complex for no reason whatsoever.
The ending was among the worst crap ever. It had one great plot twist but besides being a VERY poor Stephen King rip-off it made no sense whatsoever and it was more than clear that Urasaw ran out of ideas and was facing a deadline he didn't know waht to do with. So he had to pull some random BS out of his ass.
Not top mention Runge was one of the most pathetic and annoying characters in any manga.
SPOILERS
spoiler[At first he was sorta cool with his whole "saving files in my computer like brain thing" but the more he got on the wrong track, blaming the wrong person and falling for Johan's tricks, WHILE STILL INSISTING TO KNOW EVERYTHING AND BEING TOTALLY ****ING ARROGANT ABOUT IT, he turned into nothing more than a bad joke.
Also I can't understand how someone could say with a straight face that it was badass what he did at the end and that it would be more than enough to make up for his previous idiocy (I heard that a lot on other boards).
]

Another truly great disappointment was RG Veda. It started out good and stayed like that for an entire 5 volumes. I was already wondering why people said it would suck so much.
Not the best thing since sliced bread but a straight forward, rpg-ish series with decent fights and story.
But than came volume 6 and on top of that volume 7. Literally everything that was good and made sense was turned inside out and ranodm DeMs that didn't make any sort of sense appeared out of nowhere. People died like flies left and right for no reason whatsoever and the final plot twists were probably the worst BS ever to be seen in a manga.

Mai Hime
is also kinda sucky. The anime was decent (too bad it has way too much forced drama at thend) but the manga is like a compilation of only these bad parts without that good parts.

I almost forgot I's. This is probably the worst "harem" series ever. But actually it's not harem but rather a sub-genre: "failing to confess and whining about it".
Seriously, litterally almost everything that happens in the first 10 volumes is the main character trying to confess to his love interest but ALWAYS FAILING and never stop whining about it. Never. It gets so ****ing annoying that I wish I could either kill the main with own my hands or at least for the creator to commit suicide.
The only reason I read 11 volumes so far is that it has good fanservice (by far the only good thing about this manga).
While volume 11 wasn't about failing to confess it was about failing to tell his love interest that HE IS INTERESTED AS WELL.
I have never, absolutely never seen a more pathetic and idiotic main character.
It's beyond pathetic that these series have virtually no plot whatsoever besides getting the main character and his love interest together and once that happened for real they are simply over.

And finally: GTO.
The first 16 volumes were alright but vastly inferior to the anime (which was really good). Volume 17 for once was indeed awesome but as quickly as it had gotten good, the manga turned to crap. After a rushed BS volume 18 that resolved all the problems from 17 in the poorest way imaginable the series started to practially repeat from the beginning.
It got extremely repetitive, Onizuka got more and more annoying and obnoxious because the awesomeness was just a lukewarm repetition from the earlier volumes and plot devices were omniprsent. I never knew how many students can be permanently missing in but a single class just to appear as DeM in exactly the right time.
The last arc made barely any sense and was nothing than a bunch of corny cliches.

Quote:

Exempting porn, I'd say Air Gear, Tenten, and probably anything Oh! Great does. Gravity-defying samurai ninja boobies only go so far. Probably not the worst manga I've read (though down there), I choose these titles because of the mangaka's ironic pen name, Oh! Great. No, just no.

How much did you read of TT? I hated it at first because the start is utter crap but after 4-5 volumes it gets better and actually turns out really good.
And his pen name is a pun on his real last name: Ogure.
Quote:

Anyway, the worst manga I've ever read is probably Samurai Deeper Kyo. Fortunately I got it free because my downtown manga shop was having a going-out-of-business sale. It looked cool from the summary on the back, but the characters were uninteresting, the women were all sluttish, and the story didn't seem like it would end up going anywhere at all. Maybe I'll sell it to make room for more Saiyuki <3

It has some cool powers and designs but besides that you're right >_>
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Okay, as a big fan of One Piece, and as a reader who was greatly impressed with Monster, I beg to differ sir. One Piece does get a little monotonous every once in a while, but it certainly doesn't get boring. There's always something new to find out about characters here and there, not to mention exotic lands and just the excitement of adventure to keep some people hooked.
Monster, just has people reading on and on, because they want to know what is behind the twist of what one thing is going on that is tied to another. Plus this thing about Johan, I was just dying to find out the past about him and what would ultimately happen to him, and why there were those who were committed to serving him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 21