• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hauihi Suzumiya official dub logo Released

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netstryke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:40 am Reply with quote
Well the official dub logo for "The Melanocholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" has been unveiled.
and my prediction that I did a week and a half ago for an dub logo was close.......I guess.

What do you guys think?

The official Logo

My mock-up Logo

BTW....what's that in the "o" of the official logo? An ingrown hair or somethin'?
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quote
Netstryke wrote:
BTW....what's that in the "o" of the official logo? An ingrown hair or somethin'?

LOL... no. That is the Japanese hiragana for 'no'... as in "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu". I'm too lazy to type out the kanji and hiragana.... but yeah, you get the picture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
i like the mock up.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Netstryke wrote:

LOL... no. That is the Japanese hiragana for 'no'... as in "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu". I'm too lazy to type out the kanji and hiragana.... but yeah, you get the picture.

No, it's not "no" or any other Japanese character. Look more closely. It might be a remnant of the other SOS logo.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Kind of difficult to tell at that resolution, but it looks like a の to me. Seeing it's in the "of", that would be logical.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah remember in the opening credits where the title is shown there is a spinning の

So is that official logo going to be what's used on the R1 DVD case?
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Looking again, I think I was focusing on the black part, not the white part.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
i think that's actually the logo of the SOS Dan, the little mystery thingy symbol.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
i think that's actually the logo of the SOS Dan, the little mystery thingy symbol.

Are you guys just joking now? That is the Japanese の.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drakonslair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Stupidman007 wrote:

Are you guys just joking now? That is the Japanese の.

I dont know the one in the image definately looks like a full circle to me with no break in it, It looks similar but I dont think its の
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
crap i cant see the writing cause of language packs.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
drakonslair wrote:
I don't know the one in the image definately looks like a full circle to me with no break in it, It looks similar but I don't think its の

It's definitely a の. The official title/logo which appears both in the anime and on the cover of the novels has the exact same symbol (circle with a "no" inside).
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I already posted this in the Haruhi Suzumiya Website thread on the talkback page, but since there's a specific thread for it here, I'll just copy and paste what I said there.

If you zoom in on the "o" in the word "of"...

You'll see that the white part is clearly the character の (no), and the black part is a question mark.
drakonslair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
drakonslair wrote:
I don't know the one in the image definately looks like a full circle to me with no break in it, It looks similar but I don't think its の

It's definitely a の. The official title/logo which appears both in the anime and on the cover of the novels has the exact same symbol (circle with a "no" inside).

That might be true Im just saying that it does not resemble the ascii version of "no" or any version I've seen. Its a bit small though so its hard to tell. As I said before there is no break in the circle where I would expect one and the very bottom part looks kinda filled in. I might be due to using proper Japanese brushes when drawing the character.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
i never saw the original logo but for this logo its very close to the official. i fact your mock up kinda looks like a prototype that could of been used.

on a related note do you have some skill or familar with commercial art or logo design? it in my major and I've ben studying so i know a bit.

your use of the colors are good. a lot of simple mono or duo colored logos are most memorable and successful. (mobil, nana, viz, animation collective, nickelodeon, cartoon network) the two color work because theyre in contrast. the typography could use work in the red letters but the haruhi part is the part i love most and i think should stay. the red silohette should be moved a bit father in your mock up like in the official because it clashed with the red type.

im not a teach or anything but i could see with some work and pratice you would be okay in logo design. sorry but i couldnt help but comment on a example of art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2