• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADV film's dubs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed that ADV licenses many good anime series but they always come out with bad dubs along with it, while the other companies such as Funimation and Bandai always come out with good ones? Does ADV have a poor choice in VA's or someting?
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Examples please?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Has anyone noticed that ADV licenses many good anime series but they always come out with bad dubs along with it, while the other companies such as Funimation and Bandai always come out with good ones? Does ADV have a poor choice in VA's or someting?

Personally I don't think that ADV has bad dubbing other then I remember Peacemaker getting on my nerve and switching to subs. Other then that I can recall any other titles are certain series in particular that you were talking about? Actually let me go look at my wall of dvds and hope something jogs my memory....

OK so some titles that I didn't like ZOE....this might have to do with the overall show and not the dubbing, and Noir dubbing had a few characters that bother me but nothing as bad as Peackmaker....But compartively to series like Chrono Crusade which has a great dub, NGE, Gilgamesh....say what you want about the story the dub was very good and had many different characters, and Rahxephon which had an another exceptionally great dub. One show I just finished was Cromatie High, and I thought that was a very funny dub, and for a show that had so many jokes I thought the dub was going to be lackluster, but not so.

Quick Edit: Fullmetal Panic: First series had a great dub, regardless story pacing.

Delta

Honestly most anime companies do a great job with their dubbing and subs.....other then Bandai (I want my correct ZETA GUNDAM SUB not dubtitles.)

Last edited by Deltakiral on Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enjeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I would like examples too. Also I would have to strongly disagree with you on this. I think ADV has some of the best VA's in the american industry.
From Luci Christian, Jessica Boone, Hillary Haag, Vic Mignogna, and others.
Luci Christian I believe did the role of Kaname Chidori almost as well as Yukino Satsuki. Jessica Boone has incredible range. From her roles as Arumi in Magical Shopping Arcade to Chiyo in Azumanga Daioh. Vic Mignogna has been in more series in the last 5 years than probably any other VA.
So I think this is all a matter of opinion. You just happen to not like the way the ADV voice actors sound. To call them poor, I believe is quite out of line.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't listen to many of the English tracks, but must say that the new ADV Macross dub isn't all that bad. I also tried the Peacemaker dub since it was a 5.1 mix, but found it so bad that I watched the Japanese 2.0 mix instead. The ZOE original Japanese cast is amazing, and the Kuwashima Houko is one of my all time favorite va. I heard a bit of the RahXephon dub and couldn't stand Ayato's voice. I need to watch shows like Azumanga and Chromartie in Japanese since many of the jokes get reinterpreted when dubbed in English. Overall I don't think ADV is particularly better or worse than many companies. They occasionally will remix a 2.0 Japanese track into a decent 5.1 English (Kino's comes to mind) track.
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Unlike a lot of people, I rarely watch anime in its original Japanese language. It's just easier for me, and I hardly ever really dislike dubs. So I can't compare ADV's dubs to the orginal Japanese and I'm not at all an expert of voice acting, but I think ADV's dubs are good from what I've heard. I especially liked the dubs of RahXephon and Azumanga Daioh.

Also, FUNimation and ADV seem to have some of the same voice actors.. So if FUNimation always comes out with good dubs, then ADV's can't be really be too bad, can they?

When it comes to dubs, it's mainly just people's opinions. Even if many people like a dub, there will be people that don't like it. If you don't like certain dubs, it'd probably be best just to listen to those anime in Japanese with subtitles.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Enjeru wrote:
To call them poor, I believe is quite out of line.

Not really. As far as he/she is concerned, they're a poor choice, or poor actors, but in statements such as that in regards to these sorts of things, it's all opinion. You don't have to have "In my humble opinion exclusive to myself and only me, possible" before anything is said.

I wouldn't call it out of line, because really, I kinda don't like ADV dubs either and don't honestly think they're very good, and I can say this because it's my money and time that potentially could go towards it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I disagree, I've loved many of their dubs and one of the best dubs in my opinion, Full Metal Panic, was done by them. Kino's Journey also had a great dub., was well acted and the characters fit, and Kino's isn't an easy show to accomplish that with. Chrono Crusade is also one of my favorite dubs, Rosette and Chrono and especially Aion were voiced perfectly, although I can understand how some found Rosette's voice annoying, it takes some getting used to but in the end I loved it. I will agree with Delta though, Peacemaker wasn't a very good dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Enjeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Enjeru wrote:

Not really. As far as he/she is concerned, they're a poor choice, or poor actors, but in statements such as that in regards to these sorts of things, it's all opinion. You don't have to have "In my humble opinion exclusive to myself and only me, possible" before anything is said.

I wouldn't call it out of line, because really, I kinda don't like ADV dubs either and don't honestly think they're very good, and I can say this because it's my money and time that potentially could go towards it.

Of course it's a matter of opinion and I respect other's opinions. However, opinions hold more water with reasoning behind them. Just to say they are "poor" and have no reasoning behind it is unfair. Do you think they lack acting talent? Do they have trouble matching mouth-flaps? Do they lack proper inflection in their voice?
If someone can't answer any of those questions and still does not like their talent, then just say you don't like them. Attacking their ability with no reasoning is just like a child saying "well they suck." "Why?" "Because!".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
ADV's dubs have always rocked.

Need I mention Samurai Gun, Chrono Crusade, and Eva? Smile
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Enjeru wrote:

Yes thats what I exactly meant. ADV has good VA's but the roles they choose for them does not suit them, an example would the dub for Macross. For the voice of Hikaru(Rick Hunter in Robotech) they chose Vic Mignogna who happens to be a great VA, but he just didn't suit the part most of time, Hikaru sounds like a kid with an adult's voice and the tone of his voice doesn't really match with certain situations going on.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Yes thats what I exactly meant. ADV has good VA's but the roles they choose for them does not suit them, an example would the dub for Macross. For the voice of Hikaru(Rick Hunter in Robotech) they chose Vic Mignogna who happens to be a great VA, but he just didn't suit the part most of time, Hikaru sounds like a kid with an adult's voice and the tone of his voice doesn't really match with certain situations going on.

Um, Hikaru is still pretty much a kid being forced into an adult's role. That's partly one of the points of the whole series. For that reason I've found Vic's voice quite appropriate, and most of the other roles fit very well, too. The one role in that dub I've found a bit lacking is Monica Rial as Misa Hayase. (Liked her work in a lot of other dubs, but she's far better at more reserved or cutesy roles than high-strung ones like Misa.)

Not all of ADV's dubs have worked for me, but they've been "hits" more often than "misses." There are certainly far, far worse (and less consistent) dubbing companies out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
ADV's dubs have always rocked.

Need I mention Samurai Gun, Chrono Crusade, and Eva? Smile

Don't help when they use the same vioce actors for everything.

"Hey waitaminute, howcome Rosette Christopher sounds like Nene Romanova??"
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
I haven't noticed any real problems with the ADV dubs I've seen.(Rahxephon, Chrono Crusade, Evangelion, Gasaraki) Other than the fact that Hillary Haag needs to learn to control her voice when she screams.

Also, I don't really mind this, but some ADV dubs have a lot more swearing than the original Japanese versions. The Rahxephon dub has like a 5:1 ratio compared to the Japanese version in terms of swearing.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Wait, since when did Bandai "always" come out with good dubs? Sure, Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain were great, but what about Love Hina (which is a dub so bad even hardcore dub fans don't want to watch it), Escaflowne, Fantastic Children, or My-Hime? (I actually don't mind the MH dub, but a lot of other fans hate it.) Scrapped Princess was good, Please Teacher and Please Twins were acceptable, but in general, when it comes to Bandai's dubs, "consistently good" is not how I'd describe them. Plus, I've heard that all the Gundam series are pretty much rush-jobs from Ocean Group, a dubbing studio with a mixed track record on quality. EDIT: can't believe I left this out, but Bandai's Crest/Banner of the Stars is widely revered/reviled as having one of the worst English dubs ever.

Okay, Bandai aside, on to ADV...I used to dislike their dubs, but as I've watched more and more, I've come to appreciate and enjoy them. I never liked some of the older ones like Eva, Pretear, Arc the Lad, Excel Saga, Nadesico, and Steel Angel Kurumi--the scriptwriting and directing just wasn't quite as refined back then, name pronunciations (which are a major thing that I look for in dubs) were painfully bad, and the acting/tone just didn't sit too well with me. Oddly enough, I can point to the controversial Ghost Stories dub as a turning point; it introduced me to the talents of their actors, and showed how much ADV had progressed since the older releases. From that point, I gave more of their dubs a chance.

In general, the dubs in their releases from a couple of years back, like Nuku Nuku Dash! and Chance Pop Sessions are at least average, judging from the spot-checking I did when watching them. And on some series, I've decided to re-watch completely in English, like Angelic Layer, which I never thoguht would be as good dubbed, but the cast pulled it off. Nanaka 6/17 I found just as enjoyable in either language, thanks to Monica Rial's strong age-shifting performance as the lead. I plan on checking out more of the RahXephon dub the next time I watch it, and the Comic Party Revolution dub again proves ADV's ability to make less-than-stellar Japanese dialogue funnier in English. And this may be heresy, but through 23 episodes, I've actually enjoyed Azumanga Daioh more in English; although jokes are re-written at the expense of accuracy, it makes things more natural and easy to follow, and VAs do a great job capturing the characters' personalities. And nothing against the Japanese Chiyo, but Jessica Boone's interpretation was a bit less grating to the ears.

So as we're about to roll into 2007, their levels of acting quality, scriptwriting, and direction have improved enough that I'm willing to watch some or all of a given new ADV series in English, especially if I've already seen it via fansubs.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3