• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(OT) Arrangements in Your Rental Store?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote
Now that school is out, I am pretty much free for an extended period of time. SO I decided to go to blockbuster to go rent some stuff (laid back on the anime this time). I noticed that the blockbuster near my house finally sorted out their titles by genre, with anime having its separate shelf. The last time I was in the place was probably two months ago. Before yesterday, anime, action, horror and sci-fi had all been in the action section. Now they've sorted all those genres out so there's no confusion and having to look through alphabetical order through a whole bunch of titles to find the anime I want to see. At another store where I rent Japanese titles, anime has it's own 15 shelf section or so. Since this store is Japanese in the first place that can be expected, however the their inventory for anime is mostly VHS.

In your rental store (if you rent anime from the store and they have it), is the anime sorted out into its own section? Or is it just put into another genre and you have to look for it?
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
In your rental store (if you rent anime from the store and they have it), is the anime sorted out into its own section? Or is it just put into another genre and you have to look for it?

The rental shops in my town, and actually any of the shops are the reason I spend so much time online looking for anime. The last time I visited the Blockbuster the only anime available was some DBZ, a couple of Ghibli flicks, random volumes of Rurouni Kenshin, and maybe a couple volumes from about just two or three other series, I think one was Karas. I'd be happy with a whole shelf.

It's like when the last volume of Fruits Basket manga was released, I had forgotten to preorder it so I decided to check some local bookstores. Barnes&Noble had half a rack of manga, and the majority was Love Hina, Chibi Vampire, and Naruto and all just a few random volumes from each. No new Furuba in sight. Had to order online and wait 5 days to read it.

Last edited by undeadben on Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Blockbuster generally has an anime section, but Hollywood Video puts the anime in the Special Interest section. Other then most places I go have an anime section, other then Circuit City which still places anime in the Sci-Fi section; and that just pisses me off since I can't ever find what title I want.

Oh yeah none of my local rental stores even carry VHS anymore, so these are all in DVD format, none of the B&M (rental) have Blueray or HD-DVD only my netflix lets me get these format.......that is if I had the player.

Delta
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote
Well before Darkstone Anime Store hit here i went to the Blockbuster near here and they've had an anime section for almost 4 years now although its almost never changed and had been VERY slim on the selection. And throughout the store was a random amount of anime like the Inuyasha movies, any Ghibli film and Pokemon was everywhere and Voltron was in the children section....but thanks to Darkstone i hadn't went there for a while, but now Darkstone and that Blockbuster is gone, so...........i dont rent anime anymore.

But my uncle has the mail thing with Blockbuster so he gets movies in the mail and he's got Desert Punk right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
Anime has its own section at my favorite Blockbuster, but a lot of other random titles seem to end up in there, too. Aside from actual anime DVDs, that particular division is also home to Invader Zim, Avatar the Last Airbender, Teen Titans, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Godzilla, and Power Rangers. And instead of being in anime section where they belong, I've seen Kodocha, Tokyo Pig, and (the uncensored) Sailor Moon movies in the "Family and Kids" section.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
I never go to Blockbuster; it's a complete waste of time for any serious anime fan. My local Blockbuster is even missing mainstream movies like The Lord of the Rings because they refuse to order more stock when people lose or steal their copies. Blockbuster probably deserves to die a horrible death for their piss-poor selection and long standing anti-consumer policies. I won't miss them one bit.

I rent most of my anime from Netflix and a few random titles from Dragon's Lair, which is a local store in San Antonio that stocks literally thousands of anime DVD rentals and a few Sci-Fi titles.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I never go to Blockbuster; it's a complete waste of time for any serious anime fan. My local Blockbuster is even missing mainstream movies like The Lord of the Rings because they refuse to order more stock when people lose or steal their copies. Blockbuster probably deserves to die a horrible death for their piss-poor selection and long standing anti-consumer policies. I won't miss them one bit.

Y'know, you're right. Blockbuster has a VERRRY poor selection and most of their movies are horrible. They don't even have rentals from any good shows. South Park? Nope. Beavis and Butthead? Nuh-uh. Drawn Together? No way, hose. Chappelle's Show? Hell no. All they have for shows are crap like Family Guy and AOSTH(Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog). I'm lucky to see that they have Tokyo Godfathers there which amazes me a lot. All they have at my Blockbuster are Rurouni Kenshin, Yu-GI-Oh!, and I can't even think of any more.

The only movie I rent from there now is Children of the Corn 666: Issac's Return. And I buy most of my anime or watch them on Youtube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
Back before the advent of DVD, I used to rent anime like crazy. We had a membership at every rental shop for the nearest 3 towns (Save for, ironically, the anime/game rental shop, becuase they were terribly expensive.) Anime was generally in the Special Interest section, next to wrestling, martial arts, and Playboy tapes. The selection was pretty decent, but never updated.

Then the DVD thing happened, and the stores went on a massive spree to clear the VHS out of inventory. This meant the anime section went out the door... but they didn't really buy any DVDs to replace it. I gave up on rentals pretty quick after that. I just buy everything these days.
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
in anime section where they belong, I've seen Kodocha, Tokyo Pig, and (the uncensored) Sailor Moon movies in the "Family and Kids" section.

I saw that uncensored Sailor Moon in the kids section at a Hollywood Video- I laughed so hard (not out loud). I went there later and they completely disappeared.
I saw Kodocha at the anime section at my Blockbuster- hmm.

I'm surprised to hear about your guyes stores- I feel lucky. We have Kodocha, Cromarite, Gilgamesh, Samurai Champloo (just vol .1), Fullmetal Alchemist. I don't go there often- I hardly watch any of these series and they cost a lot for rentals. Never updated too though.

Last edited by haruhifan1200 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes. I did forget to mention that all the anime at my Hollywood Video store are in the Special Interrest section along with all those documentaries and music related videos. I like Hollywood video because they have the same titles as blockbuster AND more, like GITS.
Dark Inferno King

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Unfourtunaly, my blockbuster has the least amount of anime on this earth, and i hate my local blockbuster for that!
Song_Bird

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
There are anime sections at the two Blockbusters I frequent. One has a small section right across from the foreign films. In the other one it’s more along the lines of a full aisle and a half. The selection isn’t to bad although it could be better.
bluepita

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I went to Blockbuster for the first time in several years this week. I only glanced for the anime section, since I was definitely there for a live action movie. However, I never found it, so it's either not there or very small. It's odd because the last time I was there (say three years ago), they had an area devoted strictly to anime about 2 sections big. I have to say, other than classic movies, the selection wasn't very good. At first glance, it seemed like it, since there were a lot of different titles. On looking closely, you'd find out that they had maybe one DVD from each series they had, and it wasn't the first one.

We used to have an actual place here whose main purpose was renting anime, but it went out of business this year. Damn shame too.
coffee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
The Blockbuster near me has its own anime section behind the video games. Granted they've had the same titles for the past 5 years (gits movie, spriggan, pokemon, vampire hunter d, love hina movies, miyazaki films, and the likes) but at least they are separated. I never rent from there anymore because they havn't added any new titles other than spirited away in 4 years, and the overall selection sucks. Netflix and rightstuf ftw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doug19992000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The last time I went to a Blockbuster the only title they had was Ninja Scroll. And the Hollywood Video up the street only had some hentai scattered through the store in different sections.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2