• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Desert Punk(Sunabozu)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
so i just finished this series, and i have to say this was pretty damn good. probably one of the best dubs to be made in awhile. not only is the script hilarious, but it's got some cool action sequences. also the ending wasn't what i was expecting at all. this dub is definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so i just finished this series, and i have to say this was pretty damn good. probably one of the best dubs to be made in awhile. not only is the script hilarious, but it's got some cool action sequences. also the ending wasn't what i was expecting at all. this dub is definitely worth a look if you have't seen it already.

I've been somewhat interested in this series for a while now. But I have been busy with the Gonzo titles that came out around the same time....Trinity Blood, Basilisk, and Speed Grapher. Hopefully I will get a chance to see the first episode also, because like you mention the dub is suppose to be really good.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
I watched the first 4 episodes last night, and some of the things I saw happen to Desert Punk really hurt in the balls, and I mean he got stoked because spoiler[he's a perv and certain people took advantage of that.] Winners are justice. I really liked the ending theme song. Only in Japan can sing a song with those kinds of sexual references with some kids in the background. Laughing
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
nice thread tits-mcgee. The theme songs for the first half were awesome but the second half theme songs were skipable. The ending was somewhat random.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Misetings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Anyone know if there are any rumors of a second season or possibly a North American manga release? I loved the show but the ending was just too open ended for my tastes
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

I've been somewhat interested in this series for a while now. But I have been busy with the Gonzo titles that came out around the same time....Trinity Blood, Basilisk, and Speed Grapher. Hopefully I will get a chance to see the first episode also, because like you mention the dub is suppose to be really good.

I've seen the first two Trinity Blood and found it fun and well animated. The setting is neat, and the characters are all fascinating. I've seen the first two Basilisk DVDs and must say I enjoyed the second volume more than the mediocre first DVD. With so many characters, I found it hard to get too fond of any of them. With an hour of extras per disc these DVDs are packed. After four volumes I'm amazed at how many people don't like Speed Grapher. The series touches upon so many social and political themes that I find relevant. I had a real hard time watching Desert Punk. The main character was very unlikable, and most of the time you can't see his face which removes him further. I might give it another chance, but it was hard for me to enjoy this series in the wake of Samurai 7,
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:45 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

Of these four, Basilisk (which favors high-powered action and drama) is the best by a narrow margin over Desert Punk (which favors crass humor and action with a sense of humor). It's close enough in production, artistic, and writing quality to be a matter of taste. Yes, Desert Punk's hero is thoroughly unlikeable, but that's also the point; he's meant to be as anti- as anti-heroes can get, but that's part of the joke and part of the fun. I was quite entertained by seeing how much of a slimy prick Desert Punk could be in every episode, and the interaction with his protege made it even better. The dub was particularly good in that one, too.

Both of those titles are clearly and unequivocably better than Trinity Blood (which is so wrapped up in being stylish that it doesn't pay enough attention to its plotting and writing) and Speed Grapher (serious quality issues across the board, watchable only because of some likeable and sympathetic lead characters and a strong English dub).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Although this was necroposted after 3 months, I'm leaving it. I haven't seen many Desert Punk threads around.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
i love this anime. f'ing hilarious. i haven't seen the entire thing yet, but i plan to. and the dub is a thousand times better than the original japanese voices.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I also love Desert Punk a lot (As you can see with my all new avatar which doesn't really work). Sometimes a bit too crass for my taste, but overall it was one of the funniest anime I ever watched. spoiler[The more serious second part of the series was also a very welcome turn in my opinion.] I just love those Gonzo people!
Ragg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
From the sounds of it, i think i need to give it another chance. I watched the first episode, and was out in 3 minutes. I didn't really like any of the aspects of the show, but I did enjoy Trinity Blood. Hmm, maybe I was in a bad mood, time to revisit....
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Since in my last reply I had watched up to episode 4, in this reply I have watched up to episode 20. I have to say that towards the end, like most very good titles, it has picked up and gotten interesting. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that last DVD anywhere, and I'm not interested in buying it at this point, so I will keep looking. This thing about spoiler[the war and resistance, and Kosuna becoming a mature person and knowing the skills that she needs to survive has made her my favorite character.] Someday I'll finish it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
I've seen maybe the first 5 episodes of Desert Punk, and since Rightstuf is selling the series for $75 for their 12 days of Christmas sale, I decided to pick up the series (legitimately) just because the English dub is so funny. It's not the kind of show I'd normally watch, but I do like stuff like Ghost Stories where the English dub gets radically changed for comic value. I don't know if I even plan on watching it in Japanese. I think I'll probably like Basilisk better, since I prefer the dramatic side of things, but Desert Punk seems amusing enough to warrant a watch.
slow_moe_504

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
Very Happy All I got to say about Desert Punk is that Its one of the most funniest anime I seen in a while. When I seen the first episode on a demo disc I got from Best Buy. I went and bought the whole series the next day. Its a must have anime it's definately worth the the money. Very Happy
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
Ya, I've only seen the first 2 volumes of this and it's freaking FUNNY, every other smart-ass remark makes want to hug the Punk with all my heart. and my favorite episode so far is when he had to spoiler[get rid of the cursed rock] that was the funniest thing I've seen in awhile......

"Ya....that guy, Nucking Futs" Junko
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2