• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are people selling this on Ebay?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Quote:
Possibly the dumbest thing I've seen sold was some guy who sold his cat's toenails for about $1.50.

How about this? $157.50 for a french fry... Although, it is a very unique one.
There goes my last lingering shred of faith in human intelligence. What kind of moron pays money for something like that?

And what in the heck are they going to do with it? Shocked
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Quote:
Possibly the dumbest thing I've seen sold was some guy who sold his cat's toenails for about $1.50.

There goes my last lingering shred of faith in human intelligence. What kind of moron pays money for something like that?

And what in the heck are they going to do with it? Shocked

Well, i would guess microwave it then eat it, and it better taste good for $157.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Quote:

Looks like a turd I dump into the benjo than a penis.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:06 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
For those informed, the simple solution is to boycott ebay and let it die!

/anti-ebay

Rolling Eyes

Excuse me? Ebay is a wonderful and often the only source for things you simply don't get anymore in a store. Books that are out of print for example, or games (those you played on a board and with a dice, the older folk might remember) And (absolutely legal!) stuff from pro-sellers is generally much cheaper than in a store. Why should I pay 30 percent more for the same harddisk? Plus it allows small dealers to compete with the big chains. And isn't it nicer to sell your old garbage on ebay instead of throwing it away and even if it's only because you know that however obscure it might be, there is probably somebody who will be extremely happy to get it? We should boycott all this just because ADV doesn't like it? Like hell I will.

/very much pro-ebay

Meh, maybe my irony detector is just broken.
zliplus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Mindless Watcher wrote:
Azathrael wrote:
For those informed, the simple solution is to boycott ebay and let it die!

/anti-ebay

Rolling Eyes

Excuse me? Ebay is a wonderful and often the only source for things you simply don't get anymore in a store. Books that are out of print for example, or games (those you played on a board and with a dice, the older folk might remember) And (absolutely legal!) stuff from pro-sellers is generally much cheaper than in a store. Why should I pay 30 percent more for the same harddisk? Plus it allows small dealers to compete with the big chains. And isn't it nicer to sell your old garbage on ebay instead of throwing it away and even if it's only because you know that however obscure it might be, there is probably somebody who will be extremely happy to get it? We should boycott all this just because ADV doesn't like it? Like hell I will.

/very much pro-ebay

Meh, maybe my irony detector is just broken.

I think Azathrael is being perfectly serious about boycotting ebay, and not because "ADV doesn't like it." Instead, the point is that ebay is filled with scams, bootlegs, and various other illegal activities.

My apologies for assuming Azathrael's meaning - please correct me if I'm wrong in any way.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
zliplus wrote:
I think Azathrael is being perfectly serious about boycotting ebay

No need to quote whole posts. Well, I can honestly say that most people I know use ebay the way I've outlined above. And not all of them are computer-literate enough to know that starting bittorrent is cheaper than buying bootlegs. Of course, if you only use the search function on ebay to look for bootlegs you'll find only bootlegs. A call to boycott ebay isn't very much in touch with reality anyway, to put it mildly. I would put it somewhere between "boycott General Motors" and "boycott the internet". Well, his loss. Or, in the case or General Motors, his gain.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

It's climbed to $350 with 7 days left. That guy might actually get his 20 Million at this rate.

And anybody who thinks actively boycotting eBay to be an intelligent move is frankly being a retard. Not using it is fine and the same goes for not having a paypal account or credit card or something but when you say to yourself "despite the fact that I can easily save money, time and effort by using eBay to get items I otherwise would have almost 0 chance of finding, I'm going to boycott eBay." then you're being an idiot. Yes, it has plenty of scams and stupid auctions but you are legally protected in the event of a non-paying bidder or non-shipping seller and I must say that it would take some creative wording to dupe someone into buying a penis shaped french fry without them knowing what they're paying for. Just read the listing and check the reputation of the seller.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
My advice, don't buy anything off ebay unless you know it's a verified R1 release (or R2 if that strikes your fancy).

Well, also watch out for bootlegs that claim to have Region Code 1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2