• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[semi-OT] Death Note: The Last Name SPOILER

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerulean88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
i first wanna thank Tony K. for telling me where i should put this topic =)

I'm surprised that there was no news about the premiere of the movie 2 days ago (3rd Nov). The 3 main casts, Fujiwara Tatsuya, Matsuyama Kenichi and Toda Erika together with the director came to Hong Kong to promote the movie and had a press conference here. I went to see them but having about 2000+ other people, most of which are teenagers holding up banners, jostling around and screaming is not exactly a pleasant experience hahaha but at least i did get to take pictures and see them so it was really cool =3 Some people got autographs though but those people have probably been waiting for more than 5 hours and so are in the very front row. They were like waving their autograph books etc around and the casts took them and signed them!! Lucky them.

I'm not sure if this applies for the US as well but the DVD for the first movie has come out on the same day as the movie premiere 2 days ago.

About the movie. All i can say is that it's awesome! The new ending to the anime is not so bad either. There were bits that made the audiences laugh so much like spoiler[L wearing that funny mask.]

But then alot of my friends thinks that the manga is so much better. There are various bits that they've changed/added such as spoiler[they're not introducing in Mello and Near. As those of you who's read the manga will know that Remu killed L and he turned to dust by doing so. In the movie however Remu kills both Watari and L (but L was faking it). And then i think they did a better job in the manga when Light gave up his death note, thus losing his memory about it rather than in the movie. And then the bit where L dies, in the manga everyone was around right and Light was like all caring and everything, catching him as he falls and then he made this evil smile, that was in the movie except that they were both alone. And after that they added in a new twist (which i will not mention here as that is really the biggest spoilers of spoiler). Besides that it's kind of weird how they're making L take so much risk in the movie, which is so not him at all (manga wise). Because at almost the same time in the manga, L should by then already trusted Light at almost a 100% but then he took the risk in the movie by writing his own real name (that he'll die peacefully from heart failure) in the Death Note due to the fake rule Light has asked Remu to add into the Death Note, and so he still suspects Light for being kira till the very end even after Light and Misa proved to L that he's not Kira and she's not the 2nd Kira.]

Is there actually a definite release date for US cinemas announced already?
hayakunero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
I like the movie 's ending better than the manga's.
And I laughed at L's hyottoko mask, too. Laughing Anyway L was great!!

映画の終わり方の方が漫画よりよかったんじゃないかなぁ。Lの仮面もおもしろかったよ。あれは笑った。
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Would someone PM me the ending? I'm curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cerulean88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
I like the movie 's ending better than the manga's.
And I laughed at L's hyottoko mask, too. Laughing Anyway L was great!!

映画の終わり方の方が漫画よりよかったんじゃないかなぁ。Lの仮面もおもしろかったよ。あれは笑った。

Really? Alot of people don't like the ending in the movie cause they basically spoiler[just merged the first part and ending part together.] Hahaha yeah~ everyone in the theatre always bursts laughing when he comes out wearing that mask Anime hyper
hayakunero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
cerulean88 wrote:

Really? Alot of people don't like the ending in the movie cause they basically spoiler[just merged the first part and ending part together.] Hahaha yeah~ everyone in the theatre always bursts laughing when he comes out wearing that mask Anime hyper

Are you Japanese or do you live in Japan?
I haven't heard anyone Japanese complaining about the movie ending yet. And as far as I know, almost all the Japanese fans who watched the movie said that they liked the movie ending better than the manga counterpart.
ほとんどの人は映画の終わり方よかったっていってると思いますけど、ちがいますか?
cerulean88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
cerulean88 wrote:

Are you Japanese or do you live in Japan?
I haven't heard anyone Japanese complaining about the movie ending yet. And as far as I know, almost all the Japanese fans who watched the movie said that they liked the movie ending better than the manga counterpart.
ほとんどの人は映画の終わり方よかったっていってると思いますけど、ちがいますか?

The location i wrote in my profile is pretty much where i currently reside atm. And sorry but i'm rather sensitive about my nationality but all that i can tell you is that i'm mixed. I perfectly understand what you always write in japanese btw so i guess that explains some things.

That's what i find rather odd, why is no one like you said, complaining or even talking about the ending of the movie yet. Well there are some of my friends who prefer the ending in the manga and some liked the ending in the movie but then i guess that really depends on you yourself. I myself have not read the manga entirely from start to finish but i do know what happens here and there. But i personally liked the ending in the movie. I think if they introduced Mello and Near, it would ruin the whole thing as it would just be like having a less smart L handling the case all over again. Lots of fans were so disappointed when L dies in the manga and i have some friends who actually stopped reading it from that point on for it got really boring for them to continue on, they were rather hesitant to even watch the movie.
hayakunero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:36 am Reply with quote
Sorry. I didn't intend to pry into your personal life. But I thought you could understand Japanese. (And I was right. Cool )

L looked the main character in the movie to me. L was cool, smart, great ....
やっぱり、日本語わかるんですね。これからもよろしく~~。詮索する気はなかったんですけど、余計なこと聞いちゃいましたね。すみませんでした。
the last nameではLが主役みたいでした。

ところで、Death Note the Last nameって英語では「死亡 注意(メモとか) 苗字」みたいな意味になるんですか?どうでもいいんですが。 Very Happy
By the way, does "Death Note the last name" mean sibou chuui myouji in English?
もっかい観に行こうかな。
cerulean88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:02 am Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
L looked the main character in the movie to me. L was cool, smart, great ....
やっぱり、日本語わかるんですね。これからもよろしく~~。詮索する気はなかったんですけど、余計なこと聞いちゃいましたね。すみませんでした。
the last nameではLが主役みたいでした。

ところで、Death Note the Last nameって英語では「死亡 注意(メモとか) 苗字」みたいな意味になるんですか?どうでもいいんですが。 Very Happy
By the way, does "Death Note the last name" mean sibou chuui myouji in English?
もっかい観に行こうかな。

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy alot lately.

L is the main character, along with Light. Death Note the Last Name は「デスノート (死亡ノート)に最後に書かれる名前」って意味だと思うよ。 ここで使っているlast nameは苗字のことじゃないよ。

みたければ見に行ったら?2度見た方がお話しがもっとよくわかるかもよ。 =)

ところで、これは英語のフオーラムだから、なるべく英語で書いてね、もし 日本語でも書きたかったら、下に 英語でやくてくれる?

また わからないことがあったらまた聞いて、もいいよ!=)
hayakunero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:50 am Reply with quote
Thanks for answering my question. Razz
I know "the Last name" doesn't mean family name. I just wondered if a English speaker who don't read Death Note thinks so or not.

Quote:
みたければ見に行ったら?

え~~~? Shocked まあそうなんだけど・・・ You're quite right.
I'll try not to care (worry). 気にしない、気にしない。 Rolling Eyes
cerulean88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
=) i'll definitely be getting both the DVD's once this second one comes out on DVD too.

hayakunero wrote:
I know "the Last name" doesn't mean family name. I just wondered if a English speaker who don't read Death Note thinks so or not.

Well i don't think so though. They would definitely think it as the very "last name" that will ever be written on the Death Note? =p Well lots of my friends have different ideas as to why they might have name it "the last name" but none of them suggested it to mean as a "surname" Anime smallmouth"

Did you read the manga though? What do you think of the ending to the movie compared to the manga?
kerri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote
I hope I am not spamming. I'm just wondering if anybody can help me clear a few doubts. Death Note: The Last Name is the second movie right? Then does that make Death Note the first movie?

Umm.. if this helps explain why I'm so clueless, I haven't read the manga yet.

Please help! Thank you so much!

Last edited by kerri on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
hayakunero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
We watched the movie in a legal way. And I want this thread clean so please don't join if you read and/or watch Death Note illegally. Would you ask anywhere else?
cerulean88 wrote:
=) i'll definitely be getting both the DVD's once this second one comes out on DVD too.

hayakunero wrote:

Well i don't think so though. They would definitely think it as the very "last name" that will ever be written on the Death Note? =p Well lots of my friends have different ideas as to why they might have name it "the last name" but none of them suggested it to mean as a "surname" Anime smallmouth"

Did you read the manga though? What do you think of the ending to the movie compared to the manga?

Thanks again. Very Happy
yes, I read the manga. 毎週ジャンプで読んでたよ。
それから,私は映画の終わり方のほうがすきです。Lの作戦もすごかったし。自分の名前書くなんて、ねえ?漫画の終わり方がなんだかもやもやしてたので、映画の結末見てすっきりした人多いと思うけどな。私もそのうちの一人。っって英語でどういえばいいの?やってはみるけど。I'll try.
I think a lot of people were satisfied with the ending in the movie. I'm one of them.
cerulean88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
kerri wrote:
I hope I am not spamming. I'm just wondering if anybody can help me clear a few doubts. Death Note: The Last Name is the second movie right? Then does that make Death Note the first movie?

Umm.. if this helps explain why I'm so clueless, I haven't read the manga yet.

Please help! Thank you so much!

i know this is really late but yes Death Note would be the first movie and Death Note: The Last Name would be the 2nd and last.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope that in time they can bring the DVD's of the movies over here. I was lucky enough to go back to Japan when they released the first movie but I couldn't do that for the second movie. Does anybody know if they're going to release the movies as a DVD set?
cerulean88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
We watched the movie in a legal way. And I want this thread clean so please don't join if you read and/or watch Death Note illegally. Would you ask anywhere else?
cerulean88 wrote:

hayakunero wrote:

Thanks again. Very Happy
yes, I read the manga. 毎週ジャンプで読んでたよ。
それから,私は映画の終わり方のほうがすきです。Lの作戦もすごかったし。自分の名前書くなんて、ねえ?漫画の終わり方がなんだかもやもやしてたので、映画の結末見てすっきりした人多いと思うけどな。私もそのうちの一人。っって英語でどういえばいいの?やってはみるけど。I'll try.
I think a lot of people were satisfied with the ending in the movie. I'm one of them.

please calm down hayakunero Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I like the ending of the manga too (and the movie) =) though alot of my friends were devastated and stopped reading it after L dies. I think the way Light dies is rather fitting. spoiler[I forgot why L wrote his own name inside the Death Note ]=p umm was it to prove that the Death Note does work?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2