• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Connecting and relating to characters

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
Actually, what made me start thinking about this was Azathrael's comment on the Honey and Clover question thread.

This isn't really a "which character are you" thread, it's more of a "which characters are you able to relate and connect with" thread. I like to think of myself as an individual, so I just never feel right saying "I'm this character"... but there are definately characters I can relate to.

I was actually watching Welcome to the NHK when I thought of this. It's an anime that, so far, I'm loving. I was thinking that if I ever were to go into depression, I don't see the possiblity of ending up like the main character being too far out there (fortunately, I am far from being in depression, I have a job and am going to school...). I was looking up information on hikikomori, and apparently, it has some connections with Asperger syndrome and ADD (both of which I have been diagnosed with, I don't think my ADD is as severe anymore though...). So, maybe it comes as no surprise why I'm able to relate... although, I still haven't seen that much of it (only 2 episodes)... I'm wanting to see more though...

Genshiken is another one where I have really been able to relate to characters. Not all of the characters, but there were a select few I was able to. Being an anime fan I guess is one of the main connections... and dealing with people who aren't fans... ya, was really able to relate with them.

There's also more... some of the more fictional based ones, like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, I see myself being able to relate towards its characters, because I can often see myself doing the same thing in some of the situations, if I were ever to come across them (uh, not very likely in with Higurashi though...).

I guess this comes as no surprise, and is probably one of the prime reasons people actually like the anime they do, but all of the anime that I feel I can really relate towards its characters I tend to fall in love with. This is true of any form of story telling though I guess...
adonais

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
If I had to pick one, it would easily be Satou from NHKnY. Not because I'm a hikikomori (I'm not), but because I've gone through similar stages in life (the gaming mania phase, the depresison phase, the recluse phase, etc) and I can recognize exactly who this guy is and how he's feeling.

I hope we don't get too much angst here now, but I'm suspecting it's true that it's a lot easier for real human beings to connect with slightly dysfunctional and humanely flawed anime characters, than with all those marvellous heros and fantastic personalities.

Another one I share some sentiments with might be Kino of Kino's Journey. Not because I'm an androgynous gunslinger (I'm not), but because I'm a traveler, who left my home behing long ago and have been moving around for several years now, working and living in different foreign places. I don't really do this out of choice, but nevertheless, sometimes I feel like I share a particular astonishement with Kino at discovering the weirdness and idiosyncracies of some folks and some countries. No matter how seasoned you are, if you keep traveling, you'll never cease to be amazed. I have felt that, and sometimes you need to put on the poker face, just like Kino Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1