• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xanth Split Infinity Anime Film Coming Soon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You probably should read his Incarnations series, then-especially before Disney ruins it.

Read it. Started out good (and I'm one of the few people who seemed to like Bearing an Hourglass), but by the last book it needs no Disney help to be ruined. And Eternity, including its little paean to pederasty, did that job just fine.

Yes, I'm a disillusioned former Anthony fan. There are lots of us.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
I'll admit he's just practically phoning in Xanth at this point, but I still respect his ability to make sci-fi and fantasy appealing to people other than just D+D geeks and trekkies. Anyway, the underage sex in "And Eternity" actually had to do with the story, which is more than I can say for the crap coming from Larry Clark.
With that in mind, though, I'm surprised they didn't adapt the Mode series into anime. They could get the Lain crew involved.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd say the Mode series would make a far better anime than his other books. It's got clothing, it's got a teenager, it's got a bishie, it's got mecha and fantasy and weird concepts - it's also pretty episodic. Could be the next Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, you know?

Btw, anyone who's unfamiliar with P. Anthony's books - He really is a brilliant guy, a great writer and simply chock full of amazing creativity, but unfortunately he's also a horny old dude. I'd love to know what his wife thinks of what he writes. Or his kids, for that matter. The most illustrative of his .... issues ... is "Firefly," an adult novel... My god, I finished reading it and immediately attempted to erase it from my memory. Mad
Kamon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
It's been more than 15 years since I read the Apprentice Adept series, so I honestly don't remember much about it, except that I enjoyed it, and that my aunt Rowena did all of the cover illustrations for the series. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheShadow99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the mode series was the best myself... Though I think the horrible Xanth adventure game qlinched my disdain for Xanth...

I watch all new anime (for at least an episode) so I'll see how it goes...
Ostsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
And he was already the Ken Akamatsu of fantasy novels (which takes some doing, given the genre. He's worked hard for that honor, though).

So Ken Akamatsu tackles complex issues such as rape, racism,
poverty, and war? Rolling Eyes

I guess you've read Bio of a Space Tyrant. . . The first Piers Anthony series that I read, back when I was 14.
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Ostsol wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
And he was already the Ken Akamatsu of fantasy novels (which takes some doing, given the genre. He's worked hard for that honor, though).

So Ken Akamatsu tackles complex issues such as rape, racism,
poverty, and war? Rolling Eyes

I guess you've read Bio of a Space Tyrant. . . The first Piers Anthony series that I read, back when I was 14.

Need to read the latest in that series concering the Tyrant's daughter who leads the human race out of the solar system.

A lot of Piers Anthony's more extreme stuff was in his short stories which are out of print. A used book store is often a great place to find his short stories.

We are talking about nasty stuff such as torture and people of a certain race being bred to be farm animals by another race of people.

A number of Piers Anthony stuff has been put into live action. An episode of the recent incarnation of the outer limits for instance. A number of stuff I have read and seen seems to have been inspired by his works.

The man has done a lot of book series and a number of the series actually intermesh together.
Raja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
One wonders if they plan on fixing all of Anthony's little continuity errors if this gets made into a series. Remember how in the first book, one of the "Mr. Exposition" characters stated directly that one's level of magic power in Phaze is directly proportional to one's skill level at the Game in Photon? Only people on the uppermost tiers of the Game in Photon would be/have counterparts who are Adepts in Phaze? And then in later books we see old & out of shape adepts (the Black Adept especially, if I recall correctly).

The first three or so Xanth novels were pretty good, if I remember correctly, but then it was as if he was just going through the motions to crank out a new one. Bio of a Space Tyrant annoyed me because of the heavy-handed use of allegory -- of COURSE the colonization of the solar system would follow the history of the planet Earth in as close detail as possible. And the Incarnations of Immortality, while based on an interesting premise, had even more continuity glitches than Apprentice Adept. I finally gave up on his stuff after reading the short story about the cows, and the one with the torture. Gyahh.
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:13 am Reply with quote
Raja wrote:
One wonders if they plan on fixing all of Anthony's little continuity errors if this gets made into a series. Remember how in the first book, one of the "Mr. Exposition" characters stated directly that one's level of magic power in Phaze is directly proportional to one's skill level at the Game in Photon? Only people on the uppermost tiers of the Game in Photon would be/have counterparts who are Adepts in Phaze? And then in later books we see old & out of shape adepts (the Black Adept especially, if I recall correctly).

The first three or so Xanth novels were pretty good, if I remember correctly, but then it was as if he was just going through the motions to crank out a new one. Bio of a Space Tyrant annoyed me because of the heavy-handed use of allegory -- of COURSE the colonization of the solar system would follow the history of the planet Earth in as close detail as possible. And the Incarnations of Immortality, while based on an interesting premise, had even more continuity glitches than Apprentice Adept. I finally gave up on his stuff after reading the short story about the cows, and the one with the torture. Gyahh.

Well actually in the Incarnations of Immortality those weren't exactly continuity glitches but different character views of the same events. After all the incarnation of evil would view things differently then the other incarnations. Plus some characters had the ability to alter the past.

As for being out of shape adepts not all the games used physical skill. A smart adept could make sure most if not all games were mental were the physical game players would get wiped out easily.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2