• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Though for starters, the episodes are ordered as they were in order to release information about the series at opportuned times. Thus, non-released information is left open to speculation and some mystery -- until the specific episode is shown. For example, Koizumi's powers - by eps. 07, we were shown some of his abilities. However, we weren't shown the background to that power, the limits, and full capabilities until near the end in eps 13.
Well, duh. Wink

I mean "duh" in a different "duh," though. Namely, it's been repeated already in this thread, a lot, not "duh" as in "obvious"; of course, it's not your fault to not want to read through 67 pages of a thread. I'd suggest to go back around the forties and there'll be a big, detailed, colorful thing posted by some kind soul that summarizes the what and why of the out-of-order. From there you are most welcome to further your own interpretation.

Here's hoping the American companies will be smart and show it on DVD the way it is meant to be shown!
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:
For those who play Stepmania...

If anyone is interested. :3

1: Where to get it
2: What skin is that Razz
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd suggest to go back around the forties and there'll be a big, detailed, colorful thing posted by some kind soul that summarizes the what and why of the out-of-order.

If you can go get it for me - that would be great. Otherwise, fuggedaboutit. Twisted Evil
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
If you can go get it for me - that would be great.
And great it is.

This too, for easy navigation of the earlier parts.

They're both at about the end of the page.

Just look at the big, colorful posts by frentymon. All credits to frentymon, of course, for such noble efforts and spot-on observations.

This way, the thread won't suffer from cycles of circular circles.

Edit: solve a little mess in the url thingies
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
KyuuA4 wrote:
If you can go get it for me - that would be great.
And great it is.

This too, for easy navigation of the earlier parts.

They're both at about the end of the page.

Just look at the big, colorful posts by frentymon. All credits to frentymon, of course, for such noble efforts and spot-on observations.

This way, the thread won't suffer from cycles of circular circles.

Edit: solve a little mess in the url thingies

OMG, it was on 36 - you liar. Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

But yes - I shall enjoy this and transfer it over to A4.

Linked Haruhi Episode Thing wrote:
Plotwise, I think Episode 7 is much more important than Episode 6 or Episode 8, but putting an exciting Side Story on a mini-hiatus attempts to distract the viewer from this fact, and tries to undermine the importance of Episode 7.

Episode 7 demonstrated the use of powers by both Nagato and Koizumi in tandem. Plus, it was a further introduction to the world of Data Entities, by showing not all of them are humanoid.

Quote:
I'll now be bumping my rating of "Very Good" back up to "Masterpiece".

All Hail Haruhi. Bask in her unlimited power.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
1: Where to get it
2: What skin is that Razz

1. I made it. It is not available for release yet.
2. DDR NewNOVAE aka DDR Supernova
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:

1. I made it. It is not available for release yet.

Heh, well we can only wait to see what kind of dance moves you put to this....gonna play it on extreme (stll can't get that one guy's Oshiete Sensei-san from Bottle Fairy on Hard ><) like what I usually do, best way to train your, and I hate to put it this way, fingering skills (I know, I was laughing as I was thinking about that sentence).
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity has anyone heard of news of a Haruhi Suzumiya Live (like when they did Love Live Hina or Azumanga Live)? I ask 'cause I think hearing many of the character songs in a venue would be cool-sounding.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I just got done watching the last 3 episodes of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu with my friends at our anime club where I live. I am truly impressed and I am very pleased with the series as a whole. I was especially blown away by the school festival episode with Haruhi's rockin group performance. The scenes were animated wonderfully and Haruhi looked great in her bunny outfit. Laughing

My rating of "Masterpiece" on ANNs rating system for this show still stands. Smile
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I was especially blown away by the school festival episode with Haruhi's rockin group performance. The scenes were animated wonderfully and Haruhi looked great in her bunny outfit.

Personally, I was more a fan of Yuki and her Black Mage outfit. Somehow, I get the feeling I'm never gonna see another Black Mage school girl alien whipping out some hardcore guitar skillz ever again Rolling Eyes

Yeah, that whole scene started with a feeling on my part that can't even begin to be described with 1000 Shocked faces

I've been thinking about it every since I saw it, and I think it's my favorite scene from any anime ever. Cool I never even read the lyrics seriously for the first 4 or 5 times I watched it, but if you haven't read them yet, they're as absolutely fantastic when put into the context of the story and when they're said in the anime as most of the references are. Absolutely perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Personally, I was more a fan of Yuki and her Black Mage outfit. Somehow, I get the feeling I'm never gonna see another Black Mage school girl alien whipping out some hardcore guitar skillz ever again Rolling Eyes

Little things like that make this series one of a kind.

By the way, did anyone notice Haruhi and Yuki in the background of the Festival episode -- during the scene where Kyon splits away from his two friends for the day?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
You'll notice alot of things going on in the background if you rewatch the episode. For example, you can see the band members in the background of one scene running with Yuki and Haruhi following them. That may be the scene you are talking about, actually. However, there are several scenes like that. I think the band members run past Kyon as he's waiting in line as well.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
You'll notice alot of things going on in the background if you rewatch the episode. For example, you can see the band members in the background of one scene running with Yuki and Haruhi following them. That may be the scene you are talking about, actually.

Bingo.

Quote:
However, there are several scenes like that. I think the band members run past Kyon as he's waiting in line as well.

Indeed. This is the first anime in a long time by which I looked at each episode at least 7 times. Plus, I never did watch the episodes in release order or chronological order. Laughing Laughing

Thus, all those small details serve as one reason to the Masterpiece status. Twisted Evil

Selenta wrote:

Yeah, that whole scene started with a feeling on my part that can't even begin to be described with 1000 Shocked faces

Y'know Kyon's reactionary face when he woke up from his snooze and realized it was Haruhi on stage? That should cover the 1000 Shocked .

Laughing
WesW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching this series, and thought it was great, though I'm certianly not alone in that regard. Smile
The writing and directing were both awesome. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time as I did when Haruhi pulled the stunt to extort the computer from the Computer Club president.
The student-film parody provided the perfect opportunity to demonstrate how intelligent and self-aware the writing was, in addition to being hilarious, and provided the perfect hook into the show. I guess it was the strongest opening ep for a comedy series that I have ever seen, and probably partly explains the phenomenal success of this series, both here and in Japan.
The fact that it's the seemingly-ordinary high-school girl with the god-like powers, instead of a boy, is likely another part of the reason. Smile Off-hand, I can't remember another anime where an ordinary Joe(tta) was the star, though of course there are a lot of anime I haven't seen.
The only thing that I didn't feel worked too well was the episode shuffling. About halfway through I just went to the previews and re-numbered the eps to chronological order, and finished the series that way. The baseball episode is the best example of this. I watched it as ep 4, and I didn't understand much of what they were talking about, since esp(ers) and Closed Space hadn't been explained yet. I could go with the chronology gimmick when dealing with comedic elements, but when they started talking about serious topics that I was clueless about, I felt that this was a flaw in the storytelling. When I watched the ep again, in chronological order, it was more enjoyable since I knew what everyone was talking about. This was about the only thing that wasn't masterful about it, though.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
The only thing that I didn't feel worked too well was the episode shuffling. About halfway through I just went to the previews and re-numbered the eps to chronological order, and finished the series that way. The baseball episode is the best example of this. I watched it as ep 4, and I didn't understand much of what they were talking about, since esp(ers) and Closed Space hadn't been explained yet. I could go with the chronology gimmick when dealing with comedic elements, but when they started talking about serious topics that I was clueless about, I felt that this was a flaw in the storytelling. When I watched the ep again, in chronological order, it was more enjoyable since I knew what everyone was talking about. This was about the only thing that wasn't masterful about it, though.

Boo, hiss, burn heretic.

Seriously though, there's a billion anime out there in normal chronological order; I can't even fathom what could be going through someone's mind to want to watch a show like this out of order just so they can think more linearly. This seems quite indicitive of a person who does not wish to rewatch episodes for any reason. Whatever, we've already discussed the absolutely brilliant planning of the episode order a dozen times here, it's just that so many people can't just watch it all the way through slowly and carefully the way it was supposed to be watched. Suffice to say, it's funny to me how nearly everyone who watched this show as it came out and talked about it here, watching each episode slowly and carefully (I personally have seen each episode around 10 times, maybe 15) and multiple times to catch all the references and understand the story as it goes, rated it a masterpiece. Then, the show ends, and the masses sit down and marathon it, complaining the whole way that it's "not as good as they thought it should be", and don't seem to understand or think in the slightest about why the episodes might be in such an order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 68 of 213