• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Anime and Manga at Japan Media Arts Festival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
All four of the movies are Miyazaki movies, interesting.

Yeah it does seem kind of weird that four of the anime were all by Miyazaki, but those are all really good movies though. I heard Steven Spielberg was obsessed with Castle of Cagliostro and called it the best action movie ever. I find it hard to believe that Cowboy Bebop wasn't on the list. But its pretty cool how Evangelion was number one after being considered the best anime ever since it came out.[/i]
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
Why do people always find it surprising that Cowboy Bebop isn't as big in Japan as it is in the U.S.? Yeah, Cowboy Bebop is something special, but ya know, my favorite band Finch was something special too, and they never caught on with the mainstream.

Me, I'm stunned that Bebop was on there as a write-in as it was. That's good evidence that this was a list voted on by less mainstream voters, yeah?

Pretty cool to see Nausicaa so dominate there, but I thought Spirited Away and Mononoke would fare better, since they far outsold Nausicaa. But hey, again, the list doesn't seem that mainstream.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Why do people always find it surprising that Cowboy Bebop isn't as big in Japan as it is in the U.S.?

It's even lesser known here in Taiwan. Take a look at my poll result.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
milcor1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:37 am Reply with quote
Ick. I don't think FMA deserves to be even in the top 10 manga list.
mako

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:31 am Reply with quote
I actually think that voters of this survey were rather general public, not specifically anime fans, considering that many of the titles in the top 50 lists are rather old.

I think Japanese people grow up watching anime as every-day TV shows, not specifically as “anime” (well, at least when I was growing up, I think it was the case). I used to watch “Heidi”, “Candy Candy”, “Nippon Mukashibanashi”, etc, when I was growing up, but I wouldn’t call myself then particularly a big anime fan.

If I am to vote, I’d probably pick one of those old anime shows that I used to watch. I think a lot of people who voted were like that.

One thing that I thought people might have not noticed is how people voted. There was a list of works/titles for each section where people had to pick titles. For example, “NARUTO” wasn’t in the anime list, although it was in the manga list. (So, I don't think they were able to vote for Naruto anime even if they wanted to.) The lists contained works/titles from 1950s through 2000s (6 different decades).

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the information on the voters' age breakdown, but their site showed that the decade that collected the most votes was the 1980s. (note that there were four sections: art, entertainment, anime, and manga; and the vote number was for all four sections together)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:42 am Reply with quote
mako wrote:
I actually think that voters of this survey were rather general public, not specifically anime fans, considering that many of the titles in the top 50 lists are rather old.

I think Japanese people grow up watching anime as every-day TV shows, not specifically as “anime” (well, at least when I was growing up, I think it was the case). I used to watch “Heidi”, “Candy Candy”, “Nippon Mukashibanashi”, etc, when I was growing up, but I wouldn’t call myself then particularly a big anime fan.

Exactly. A friend of mine and a hardcore otaku (let's call him "M") who is currently studying in Japan met a Japanese girl who's curious about otakudom four months ago and had a conversation:

(Snip)
M: "I do watch anime."
Girl (excited): "Anime! Which one?"
M: "Moe-kei anime."
Girl: "What's 'moe-kei anime'? Like Sailor Moon?"
M: "I don't think SM is one. Most of them have few or just one male protagonist with many cute girls. Another signature is their schedule: often 24:00 to 27:00 (03:00)."
Girl: "Such as?"
M: "Eh, I don't think you'd know...the most popular one right now is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu."
Girl: "Never heard of that. Have you watched Dragon Ball?"
M: "Yeah, sure, but it's over a decade ago."
Girl: "......"

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:59 am Reply with quote
lol that's true dormcat. I think it pretty goes for the same people here in the U.S. Anyway, I'm glad CCS made the list, since I really love that series. coughiwanthamtaroonthelistcough
*shot*
moin126

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote
akira manga? why isnt that one in here, It was the most detailed and compelling manga to read!!
also strange, no rurouni kenshin in the top?...
gundam-wing? wich i consider the best gundam series
seed was a bit .... ehm gay(srry)
Flcl? Naruto is also very good..
bebop?...
but what hurts me the most is just ghost in the shell winning over akira.. With cool ass tetsuo.. omfg..
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote
moin126 wrote:
akira manga? why isnt that one in here, It was the most detailed and compelling manga to read!!

Akira placed fifteenth.

moin126 wrote:
also strange, no rurouni kenshin in the top?...

Placed sixth in write-in votes.

moin126 wrote:
gundam-wing? wich i consider the best gundam series

The problems with Gundam Wing are too many to list here right now, but suffice it to say it was actually a very poorly-written series with inconsistent or shoddily-written characters and a plot that tends to lose direction or progress in an illogical manner at times.

Nevermind the fact that in terms of just sheer influence on the Japanese animation industry and how it remains, to this day, very memorable in the minds of most Japanese fans, the original Mobile Suit Gundam just can't be beaten. Wing doesn't come within several miles of the sort of memorability or clout that Mobile Suit Gundam has, and ultimately this poll is about anime that Japanese viewers and even some industry folk consider to have had the greatest impact on the medium at large.

moin126 wrote:
seed was a bit .... ehm gay(srry)

Do you mind exercising more than two brain cells and coming up with a better criticism of the show than saying "dur it were gay?" That sort of thing doesn't fly around here.

SEED placed thirty-ninth, by the way. Still on the fence on whether or not I personally agree with that, but then again it did spearhead the revival of mainstream interest in Gundam after several years of so-so and even outright poor reception among fans (the era of the unjustly underrated Gundam X and niche-interest Turn-A Gundam, and all).

moin126 wrote:
Flcl? Naruto is also very good..

FLCL I would agree is an interesting exclusion (not from the top ten, no, but from the top fifty). Naruto, however, is ultimately simply another long-running shounen show, and has yet to ultimately prove itself to be on the level of such influencial forerunners as Dragon Ball (which placed eleventh in the anime poll).

moin126 wrote:
bebop?...

Forty-fourth, and second in write-in votes.

moin126 wrote:
but what hurts me the most is just ghost in the shell winning over akira.. With cool ass tetsuo.. omfg..

What hurts me is that your reasoning behind Akira needing to place higher is simply that Tetsuo is "cool ass."

Personally, what intrigues me is how they lumped some franchises together as a single entity, and separated others out. You see separate entries for separate Lupin, Gundam, Crayon Shin-chan, and Fullmetal Alchemist titles, yet all five Sailor Moon series just get placed in one single "Sailor Moon series" placement, and ditto for all the various Brave and Dragon Ball series. Why is it that Zeta Gundam and Gundam SEED are allowed to take up two separate places on the poll, while GaoGaiGar and Might Gaine have to share one spot with about six other series? I mean, perhaps one could argue that the Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball series are direct sequels to one another and thus should not be spread out, but then you have two direct sequels to Mobile Suit Gundam placed in the list independently (Zeta and Char's Counterattack), and just about none of the Brave series are really connected with one another beyond...being named "Brave." It's odd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:45 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
18. Yu Yu Hakusho (you didn't identify this one?!)

Leave me alone. It was late and I had just eaten a gigantic meal. :p Thanks for filling in the holes. I *did* correctly identify Kochikame in both lists, didn't I? I wasn't sure.

dormcat wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
44. Emma (YESSS!!!!)

Guess we've found a fellow here. Wink

I just got a copy of CMX's vol. 1, and they did an excellent job. I still like the anime more, but at least the manga will have an ending.

dormcat wrote:
39. Warau Michael (just adapted to a live-action movie this summer)

Oh. THIS. I've SEEN this (rather, an extended trailer for it), but for North American solicitation, they changed the title to "Arch Angels", and I had no idea that wasn't the original title. I hate it when they do that.
Usagi04

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:43 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon's ranking is kind of sad, it's such a great title. Cool
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
The problems with Gundam Wing are too many to list here right now....

Careful, man. You don't want to open that can of worms. I am trying very hard right now not to make a big argument out of this statement so that the thread doesn't go OT.

The "problem" with GW that caused its exclusion is that so many gunotas reject it because it's so radically different. They want UC Gundam, preferably Tomino's work only.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely disagree that this is a mainstream poll. There are too many niche titles that are on there and wouldn't be if this polled a general audience.

It's a webpoll. I seriously doubt the mainstream population is going to go on some website to vote for their favorite anime. If a festival ran a 'best of sci-fi' poll over here, do you really think that the normal everyday population would go vote in it?

The inclusion of older titles does nothing to sway this, esp since some of the older titles aren't something a normal every day Japanese citizen would watch. There are a TON of anime fans out there, in Japan as well, that are all about the old school.

As for DBZ- A whole generation of Japanese kids grew up on it. It makes sense that it would rank highly, because even a lot of anime fans are going to look back on it nostalgically enough to place it as their first vote. And that generation is in their twenties, early thirties too, making it a huge demographic of people who would fill out an online poll.

And on Cowboy Bebop: I did not expect it to be in the top ten. However, I was incredibly surprised that it was not even an option. The Rurouken and Maison omissions shocked me more though.
Volyund

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprized Berserk is not in the top 10, it did sell 1million of each of the 30 volumes. I guess it's not for the general public but for people who like the fantasy-horror genre manga.

I think Mushishi deserves it's places in both lists.
Slam Dunk too.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I always read the polls in Newtype USA. I assume those answers come from Newtype readers in Japan. Often the original Gundam is in the top ten, or Zeta, which is interesting. If the poll is of a young audience, then why would that be? It's unlikely they would answer that even though they're aware that those titles are historically significant. And yet the poll is also full of faddish answers like saying the best male and female characters are all from Gundam SEED.

It often seems that surveys like this are a mixed bag, part otaku, part anime-niac kid, part casual anime fan, part person-who-only-remembers-what-they-watched-as-a-kid. One can't paint the pollees (word?) with one brush stroke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5