• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5 favorite characters in anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This is to tell who is you top 5 favorite characters in anime. Like in the top 5 worst five thread please give a reason why he/she/its your favortie character like this:

in no order theres

1. Nana Ozaki of Nana. she's strong willed and has pride and working towards her dream. she always has her priorities straight and mostly knows what she wants in life. She keeps hachi in line as well and is a great friend to her.

2. Lum of urusei yatsura. Its not just the tiger skin bikini i envy but her sometimes wildness and she keeps chasing her requited love. Im simlar in persona people used to say. She just has that loveable and sexy aspects that draws you in.

3. Saki Kasukabe of genshiken. If i knew her in real life id probably still be friends with her. and just like ohno i wold try to get her to cosplay. Saki's presence in genshiken makes a interest contrast from the rest and comedy ensues. She's one of the most interesting and stylish. plus she can be funny and has that love hina punch going on. but she has many sides to her to. one of the best characters i love

4. Ran Kotobuki of super gals. A gals gotta have heart, pride strength or whatever in every episode. some of these quotes in the series are actual lessons people should know. she wild like me and a kogal. i love kogals! she live for each moment and seizes each day as if its her last. that admirable. just looking at her makes you cheery. plus she can kick butt like no ones business.

5. Rukia of bleach. Cool. just so cool. at the beginning she kicked butt. i only seen up to 20 sumthing in bleach but im sure shell kick future butt! she has the skills but she gave her power to ichigo which took balls to give up YOUR power to someone.
Webki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty, there might be a topic kind of like this, but this sounds like a good time.

So, on to the characters:

1) It was a tough choice, but Haruhi Suzumiya took the prize. I loved both the series and her so much, that I can't get enough of it. I recently placed an order for a nice figure of her in her bunny suit giving the thumbs up with a guitar in her hand. Awesome figure... will have it by the end of the month. So, Haruhi is definitely my favorite anime character.

2) How can you love Haruhi and not Kyon? Number two goes to this incredibly sarcastic teen. I love his witty comments and super-sarcastic jibes. The things he says to himself are usually hilarious, and he pretty much always leaves me laughing.

3) First, second, and third were all close. So once I figured out the other two, this one was pretty easy. Third goes to Youko Nakajima, from The Twelve Kingdoms. Her character is such a strongly developed character. Not only that, but her general countenance just makes me love her. She was definitely fit to spoiler[be the queen of Kei].

4) Kaname Chidori ranks in at number four. She's a very well-rounded character. She has her funny moments, her iconic Japanese schoolgirl moments, and her ass-kicking totally-awesome moments. Then throw in the fact that she is a spoiler[whispered, which I am hoping will be explained more in whatever FMP series will come after TSR], and you have an awesome character. She can be shallow as well as deep, and the many sides to her keep you entertained throughout the three seasons that FMP has run thus far.

5) So it should come as no surprise that my top five characters come from my top three anime, as I enjoy an anime mostly because of characters. So, number five goes to Sgt. Sousuke Sagara. *Salutes* This extremely serious, yet highly lovable Sergeant has two girls fighting for him, yet has no idea. It's a classic set up, but he just pulls it off so well, that you can't help but like him. Then throw in all the comedy that you derive from his cluelessness, and it is absolutely side-splitting. Who didn't laugh during "A Goddess Comes to Japan" Parts I and II? No one is able to sit straight-faced through those, largely due to Sousuke.

So, there are my top five. I love them all to death, so this list probably won't be changing for quite some time.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
The following anime characters - I have adopted as deities:

1. Suzumiya Haruhi - Goddess of the Universe
All hail Haruhi. Fear her dormant power. Do not cross her. She may destroy our universe. Beware. Power, Beauty, and Talent. Aside from her melancholy, she's near-perfect.

2. Belldandy - Goddess of Temperance
She is the kind of character who would take care of anyone. Of all characters, Keiichi is the lucky one.

3. Sailor V - Goddess of Beauty
Despite her ditzy blond-ness, she still possess grace and beauty, worthy of being associated with the planet Venus.

4. Chiyo-dad - God of Smite
The immortal cat. Do not insult him, or he shall smite thee.

5. Kirby - God of Consumption
Consumes with disregard and eats anything; yet he uses that power to defend his world.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I'm really not the type of person suited to making a top list... this is gonna be tough for me.

Kino - I've already professed my undying love for Kino and just about everything about her in several other threads. She is my picture of a perfect character: extremely smart, wisdom far beyond her years, capricious, strong, poetic, and yet still human.

Light Yagami - He's my hero, it's true. If he were real, I would die to protect his secret. When I was reading the first few books of Death Note, the only thing I could think of was: "Holy shit, this guy thinks just like I do Shocked " I'm under no illusion that I'm as smart as Light, but I was absolutely speechless to read the manga and see how it all played out in the writer's mind.

Kyon - Not much I should have to describe here, describing how he describes things as 'sarcasm' doesn't do him enough justice. He's a smart guy who handles the situations not like an anime character, but like a human would.

Gon - He's stubbornly optimistic, simple minded, and not particularly that strong in the grand scheme of things; despite that, his personality is just as they described in the Hunter Exam: he draws people to him. He may be all the things listed above, but he's also a realist, and he's so simple minded, he can often come up with the correct solution because he's not overthinking the situation. It's very difficult to portray a character that is optimistic to his last breath and still a realist, and Gon is all that and more.

Roy Mustang - I can't say I enjoyed his attitude with Ed, but the rest about him was absolutely awesome. He has a sense of justice that's impossible to argue with, and has dealt with harsh situations with the most appropriate response possible. His goal, and the friends he managed to accumulate to help support him, and the attitude they all take it with are hard to describe, but 'touching' might work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
i only seen up to 20 sumthing in bleach but im sure shell kick future butt!

I feel like I'm telling a five year old that Santa Claus doesn't exist by even commenting on this statement. The following isn't a massive plot spoiler or anything but I don't want to get modded for an innocent comment; spoiler[Not to say that Rukia is or becomes a crappy character but ass kicking in the physical sense definately isn't her department.]

Anyway,

1. King En and Enki from Twelve Kingdoms are two of my favourite characters. I'll consider them as one slot since the Kirin of each kingdom is technically part of the King and their lives are intertwined so I'll just stick to that.

2. Yusuke Urameshi from Yu Yu Hakusho. Badass without being overly cliche and enough of a good guy without turning sappy. Since Yu Yu Hakusho runs pretty parallel with shows like DBZ, depth isn't something to be used to descriibe its characters but I definately how Yusuke was done.

3. Yamato Akitsuki from Suzuka. He reminds me of myself in a lot of ways. Not that I'm narcissistic but I like charactes I can relate to quite well. And there are lots of experiences that Yamato goes through that are quite like my life.

4. Yano Motoharu from Bokura ga Ita. The aloof chick magnet with a snarky sense of humour. Acts a lot like a composite of myself and a good friend of mine. His character is also one of the reasons why I like the show so much.

5. Morita from Honey and Clover. I've only seen a little of the series but this character is too random not to like so far. Just randomly chasing Hagu around with the toadstool and making a website about her being some kind of mythical Japanese troll thing. Quite amusing. I also like how he just disappears for weeks at a time and comes back with random food and gifts.
dxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
i do not know who are my five favorite characters. but i know my favorite one.

Mugen from Samurai Champloo. Why? i just find him so great, that combination of ken-jut-su with capoeira makes him a powerfull oponent, he is awsome! When i see the way he figth I feel impresed because megen's ability is something amazing; imagine yourself figthing with those "shoes" in your feet. You gotta be a master to be able to move so quickly with those.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
mine will be a combination of those I look up to as well as those that I just think are flat out cool.
Ok, after a couple minutes of thinking about it, I'll keep it at 5, but these are in no particular order due to the fact that I simply can not decide which is more likeable than which.

Ryou Ninomiya from This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. I haven't seen the conclusion to this series yet, but Ryou is an extremely likeable character for me. He seems to take everything with a feeling of ease and never seems to lose his cool at all. On top of that, he's an orphan who takes up his responsibility for his own well-being as well as his obligation for his little sister. He doesn't seem to rely on anyone (exception may be on Kimi's cooking dinner and what not) and doesn't seek sympathy from anyone. He also seems to know what to say and when to say it. Also, his remarks toward his little sister, Kimi, that throw her into a state of akwardness crack me up.

Katsushiro from Samurai 7. A young, inexperienced samurai who made it his purpose to stay true to his word. When he failed, he accepted the failure and strived to redeem himself later. Throughout the series, the amount of growth and change he went through was emense. Though I was kind of dissappointed that spoiler[he didn't get Kirara in the end, but hey, she liked older men, so what can he do? Razz ] He was the samurai that I found myself rooting for in this series.

Jo from Burst Angel. Jo was one of the the most ass-kicking chicks I've seen. Afraid of nothing, she fought against overpowering enemies and put them all in their place. Even when spoiler[she realized that she was a living battle-weapon created by RAPT,] she didn't hate herself for that, instead she sought to use her abilities to do something good for the world. I'm a big bad-ass-chick fan, and Jo is one tough vixen, even if a bit on the butch side.

Gene Starwind from Outlaw Star. Gene was not only the definition of cool, he was a self-confident young-adult who never gave up. He always fought to acheive his dreams and bounced back from any set back. Sure he had a lot of coaching on his way, but that just made him more real and easier to relate to.

Chloe from Noir. In a world of guns, bombs, etc, Chloe not only survived, but triumphed using only blades, how could I not love a character like that?! But seriously, Chloe was a character that really misled me and at the same time drew a lot of sympathy; BIG SPOILER, if you have not seen all of Noir and/or plan to, do not read this: spoiler[I found Chloe to be pretty evil yet cool at the same time, but once I saw where exactly she was coming from, I understood that her way of life was the only way of life she had been taught. She was not necessarily evil herself, it was just that that was all she knew since she had been trained as an assassin since she was a small child. Then, when she saw that she had a companion, Kirika, she had a new reason to exist and she would do anything to bring Kirika to her side. However, when Kirika stopped Chloe from killing Mierielle, it completely destroyed Chloe's dream, and thus lead to her ironic demise. I seriously had the teary-eyes coming on by the end of episode 25.] So Chloe makes my fav's list by both bad-assness as well as emotional impact.

And there's mine.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
Wait. Do the responses in this thread count as lists?
bluepita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:
Wait. Do the responses in this thread count as lists?

My understanding:

If you just write your favorite characters with no explanation, then it is a list and against the rules. However, if you list them with a justification that gives well thought-out reasons, you are good to go and have contributed something to the conversation. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I sort of have a thing against "top whatever" threads. It's nothing against the people at all. I just find it hard to rate my anime or people in them. I mean our interests can change day by day and I find it hard to to chose "my favorite anime" or "my top 5 anime characters." Every time I do I feel like I'm leaving someone or some title out that deserves the credit. Anyways, enough rambling get to the topic. Here are 5 of my favorite characters, trust me there's more. See if I can list 5 not listed yet.

Sorata from "X" the tv series--- I wish I could face the world with as much dignity and fortitude as he does. He always tries to cheer everyone else up and faces each task with the utmost devotion to his friends. spoiler[I mean he's told as a child he will die protecting the woman he loves. He knows he's gonna die in battle. Yet he faces this head on, and when he finds that girl embraces his detiny. That's heoric for you.]

Rekki from Haibane Renmei--- Her characters is just filled with emotion. As you find out her tragic past (from when they became haibane at least) and why she seems detached you really start to see her true character. She's very much the mother to Rakka but yet carries her own sorrow. I found her to be a very "real" character, someone you acn relate to. spoiler[I'm glad she got her white wings in the end.]

Yusuke Urameshi from YYU--- I know he's been mentioned but he is just that cool. It's also very noble how he fights simpy to better himself and not to prove anything to anyone. He fights for himself and that's it. It's nice seeing his softer side every so often. Don't forget about Hiei or Kurama though. I think Yusuke is who he is because of his interactions with those 2. Reminds me a lot of Ichigo from Bleach.

Aoi Sakuraba from Ai Yori Aoshi--- I love the way she is so honest and faithful. Her best quality is not her devotion to Karu but to her ideals. spoiler[She made a promise to herself to always be with him and goes against what anyone else thinks to accomplish that.Throughout the series she faces hardships but remains true to her promise to support him. I think that kind of loyalty to someone and your own dream is very commendable.]

Ban Midou from Getbackers--- (considering my avatar who didn't see this coming) Ban is very much the lone warrior at heart. He's badass no doubt but he's more then that. He's very calculating, a bit cold at times, but also practical. He fights for himself much like Yusuke or Ichigo but the difference that sets him apart frm them is Ginji from Getbackers. Yusuke and Ichigo may draw support frm their friends but it's more then that with Ginji. Ginji completes him, and I don't mean in a sexual way. Ginji is more or less his sanity as I think of it. Ban can be very cold in a fight and a bit jaded, but when Ginji comes into the picture you see him lighten up and the comedy come out. He also is very quietly devoted to those he calls his friends.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Light Yagami - He's my hero, it's true. If he were real, I would die to protect his secret. When I was reading the first few books of Death Note, the only thing I could think of was: "Holy shit, this guy thinks just like I do Shocked " I'm under no illusion that I'm as smart as Light, but I was absolutely speechless to read the manga and see how it all played out in the writer's mind.

Wow, that seems a bit extremist there but I actually kind of feel the same way about him myself. I don't know if I would die for him if he were real but I still do greatly admire him based on the first 7 volumes of the manga that I've read. He's actually a bit scary but I don't think that he's actually evil like I would imagine many other people would think. Besides his undeniable hotness, I wonder how many other people will actually admit to liking him for the way he thinks as well? I don't know if he'll make it into my top 5 list until I've either read all of the manga or seen all of the anime, but I think it's almost certain he'll be in my top 10.
beezis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
This is such a toughy for me. There are just so many characters I find entertaining, others that I can relate to and even others that just plain kick ass! Well here it goes.

#1.Van Fanel from Escaflowne has been, ever since I first saw the series on YTV way back when, one of my all time favorite characters. I found that he was just plagued with so many problems in his life, spoiler[his brothers betrayal, his fathers and mothers subsequent deaths, his home being burned to the ground] and eventually managed to see through all that

#2.Tatiana Wisla from Last Exile. I really thought she was a great. She takes the entire series to change into what you see at the end and if you went episode by episode you would barely notice it.

#3.Haruhi Suzumiya is just so.... ljkarghlknra.

#4.Franz d'Epinay from Gankutsuou is just everything you would want in a best friend.

#5.Sagara Sousuke from the Full Metal Panic! series ranks in at #5. He is bad ass when he needs to be, awkward most of the time and always down to earth. He also undergoes a wonderful change in character in the last installment of the series that makes everyone like him even more.

Damn it, that was hard doing the rankings since I love all those characters and others almost as much
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
1-) Kazuki Shikimori from Maburaho. Because he has every girl of his college and does not do anything.
2-) Shini Ikari from Evangelion. He is just too stupid to be real, he did not take advantage of Rei' breast.
3-) James from Pokemon. Because he is as gay as Shinji.
4-) Mr. Hanky. Es un cerote, o sea, un cerote feliz.
5-) Serenity from Yu-gi-oh. Because she is a good girl,too much.

ah? wait... I am sorry, these are my most hatefull characters. Here are the real ones:

1- Mugen from Samurai Champloo. i just find him so great, that combination of ken-jut-su with capoeira makes him a powerfull oponent, he is awsome! When i see the way he figth I feel impresed because megen's ability is something amazing; imagine yourself figthing with those "shoes" in your feet. You gotta be a master to be able to move so quickly with those.

2- Lain from "Serial experiments Lain". I like mysterious girls, she is so enigamtic that she attracts me! Ah, and I like the Lain in the wierd, not the lain in the real world... well, they are actually the same jaja !!!

3- Shin Chan from "Crayon Shin-Chan". His ass makes me laugh.

4- Ranma from "Cinderella Boy". Is the best male character I have ever seen because the way he was drew, it seems to me that reflects all his actitude.

5- Number five is difficult, i like character like Yoh Asakura and Anna Kyouyama (Shaman King), Kaneda and Tetsuo (Akira), Medabee (Medabots), D (Vampire Hunter D) and Alucard (Hellsing).
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty difficult to make a list of my favourite characters from anime, but let's see... (randomly)

1. Sorata from "x/1999" (the tv series) - Here I would have to agree with what psycho 101 said about him.

psycho 101 wrote:
Quote:
I wish I could face the world with as much dignity and fortitude as he does. He always tries to cheer everyone else up and faces each task with the utmost devotion to his friends.

I totally agree with you. And not just that. He is brave in assuming his feelings for spoiler[Arashi and the way he chooses to protect her makes me admire him even more.]He is always there for whoever needs him and he is capable to let his feelings aside and do what is right. On the other hand he is a really funny guy and I enjoyed every scene in which he appears.

2. Shannon from "Scrapped Princess" - Now this is a guy who is really strong but has no sense of his value as a fighter. He respects all his oponents though sometimes he makes rush things. (but who's not every now and then a little impetuous?!) Though he has trouble believing in other people that are not his sisters, he is always ready to give credit to everyone that deserves it. I'm thinking here at his feelings for spoiler[Cz and Zefiris]. What I admired the most at him was the fact that he wanted to do everything to protect Pacifica even if this meant to go against the whole world. A true hero.

3. Tsuzuki from "Yami no Matsuei" - I saw this series by a mere accident but I enjoyed it quite a lot so... Why is this guy on my list? I liked him from the first episode. He has a thing for sweets (just like me) and at the same time he is a guy who sees the beauty of the world. He sees every miracle of life and he wants to protect all those he cares about. He doesn't care that he might have to suffer for this. He is able to understand the pains and suffering of the others and not talking about his problems as if they were the most important thing in this world. Though sometimes he is rather pesimistic, I like him very much because he constantly struggles to be someone better, to have faith and believe in something good and pure.

4. Finally a girl. Smile Tohru Honda from "Fruits Basket" - I like her very much (now that I read the manga too, I like her even more). What I liked the most at this character is the fact that she has faith in people, a faith that I sometimes lack. She is capable to see the good things in everything that surrounds her, she is capable of believing in people and in their kindness; she's kind and gentle... a kindness that sometimes we should all have.

5. Subaru from "Tokyo Babylon" and "X/1999" - I was really interested in his evolution. A powerful guy who suffered quite a lot after spoiler[Seishiro's betrayl and murder] but who's able to rise yet again. Though sometimes he seems that he sees only revenge, he is a kind-hearted guy who's able to risk everything for his friends. spoiler[He's very close to Kamui because they have gone through almost the same experience and they are quite alike.]

Well, that's about it but something tells me that this list might change at any moment.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I sort of have a thing against "top whatever" threads. It's nothing against the people at all. I just find it hard to rate my anime or people in them. I mean our interests can change day by day and I find it hard to to chose "my favorite anime" or "my top 5 anime characters." Every time I do I feel like I'm leaving someone or some title out that deserves the credit.

That's why I'm constantly making lists, whenever I'm bored. ^_^;;;

It's a difficult choice to make, but here are my five favorite anime characters:

5. Keiichi Gotoh (Mobile Police Patlabor) - Calculating, manipulative, unassuming, brilliant - these are all characteristics of the captain of the Second Unit of the Special Vehicles Section 2. Gotoh is usually a step or two ahead of everybody else and nobody ever expects it. Why would a guy like that be the captain of a rambunctious, dangerous group of lunatics? Because that's what he wants to be.

4. Lupin III (Lupin III) - LUHPAN THE THIRRRRD! Lupin III is not the gentleman thief his grandfather was, that's for sure. Instead, he's a crass, vulgar, off-kilter idiot savant with a penchant for busty women and challenges to his skill. However, he is the best at what he does, and what he does is steal. He could steal the torch off of the Statue of Liberty, the gavel out of a judge's hands, a tune out of a music box. He could steal the moonlight and bottle it up for his dear Fujiko, who'd most likely want the rest of the moon and reject his advances. Okay, so I'm exaggerating - he's Lupin, not Carmen Sandiego. He doesn't steal lofty things like lakes and giant monuments. But with his usual flair and cunning he can steal just about any artifact, jewel, or trinket out of any museum, mansion, or fort known to man. He doesn't always suceed - often something goes terribly wrong due to a double-cross or overzelousness, but suceed or fail, it's always entertaining.

3. Priss Asagiri (Bubblegum Crisis) - Loud, abrasive, impulsive, short-tempered, often lazy, cynical, and self-destructive. Who knew these would turn out to be the qualities of a geniune, caring, decent human being who just happens to kick ass in a high-performance high-tech battle armor? Priss gets some flak for being the character that Bubblegum Crisis was too focused on, but leaving that aside, I like Priss because she's a rich, full character, and grows somewhat throughout the show. Add to that her brilliant seiyuu, singer Kinuko Oomori, which never fails to bring out geniune emotion in the role.

2. Char Aznable/Quattro Bajeena (Mobile Suit Gundam/Zeta Gundam/Char's Counterattack) - Charismatic. Obsessive. Manipulative. Calculating. Tenacious. There's a reason why Char Aznable is an anime icon, one of the most well-known anime characters in Japan - he's an interesting character. His past, his ambitions, and his talent make him a great antagonist, not just some flat, cardboard cutout villian. His motives may seem to change slightly from time to time, but his overall vision remains, and he'll do anything to fulfill it. Char is driven.

1. Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) - To me, Spike Spiegel is the epitome of cool. A self-destructive, nihilistic cool, perhaps, but cool. The guy seems to have all the moves, all the right style, and all the right skills. He's the main character in my favorite anime television series, which gives him a large boost, too. His whole character arc is one that resonates with me and I can feel for. He's not a perfect person - he's too impulsive and often can't take situations as seriously as they should be taken, but that's sort of part of his charm.

Honorable Mention:

Pen Pen (Neon Genesis Evangelion) - He's a specially-designed warm water penguin who eats ramen, drinks beer, reads the paper, watches TV, and lives in a refridgerator. 'Nuff said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4