• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Buy cutting back on anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonboko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
With the loss of Media Play and all other sellers of anime in our area, we turned to Best Buy. The selection and atmosphere of the store were not as good as our beloved Media Play, but prices were decent so eventually we said "OK, lets be happy there is still someplace to get anime".

Today we went into Best Buy, hoping they might have the first volume of Shana with the CD and to just browse to see if there was anything else new that might be interesting.

To our horror there was only two shelves of anime! At one point there was nearly an whole half aisle at our store. Its not like it was because they were moving things around, that was everything they carried.

Is this just my local Best Buy or is this now the trend at all of the stores?
Webki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I haven't checked my Best Buy at home, but near my school (in Albany), the Best Buy doesn't have that much anime. In fact, I think the Kung Fu movie section is just about as big as the anime section is. It's a shame, but I did notice that the anime they carried was some good choice selections, plus they seemed to have all the new stuff. I haven't been there since Shana has been released, but I'll check next weekend for it, probably.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I haven't noticed this, all of the Best Buy stores I've been to had the same half-aisle of anime, lots of great stuff with decent prices on everything. And I would know, I just went in the one close by my house two days ago to get the special ed of GitS 2nd Gig Vol. 7.

I hope whatever is happening to your local Best Buy doesn't start happening to the ones near my house.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, some Best Buys are fast and some slow when releasing anime DVDs...

It took 2 weeks to get Mythical Detective Loki vol.7 out, but they released FMA vol.13 and the Movie 1 week early. It kinda depends on how your Best Buy runs. I'd check back a tad bit later(1 or 2 weeks).

Plus for Artboxes, etc... they aren't the best place to get those honestly, it's kinda a risk whether or not they have it.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
Well, some Best Buys are fast and some slow when releasing anime DVDs...

That's very true, and that's what irritates me about Best Buy. They don't seem to honor the street dates for the anime releases for some reason.

As for them cutting back anime? The Best Buy stores in the Cleveland area that I visit on a regular basis (the ones in Mentor, Macedonia, Parma, and Mayfield Heights, OH) have a full section of anime releases. So at least in those four Cleveland-based stores I don't see any indication of Best Buy cutting back. I don't believe there's a nationwide cutback of anime; probably just those stores that might be struggling in sales.
NessFreaK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
thats 2 more shelves than I've ever seen in my town Wink

at futureshop in only city in the province with anime, i can usually find about.... 2 random volumes of like 4 series: Samurai champloo, FMA, GitS: SAC and and if your really lucky, NGE
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
well fye bought out mediaplay/suncoast/samgoody so your media play store may reopen, i was just informed that the suncoast at my local mall is reopening this thursday after it closed about 8 months ago. this is good news to me as im hoping they have a grand reopening sale and i can catch a nice deal.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought Sam Goody owned FYE the same way they owned Media Play after they bought it from Best Buy.

Anyhow, there are three Best Buys that I happen to drive past and stop at: one on the way to and from work, one that's not too far from where my daughter takes violin lessons, and one over the hill that's actually closest, but I never really drive past it. The close one has very little anime, nothing but the most obvious of the mainstream titles, about a shelving unit and a half. The one by the violin lesson has got an entire aisle: if I wanted to pick up something more than a couple or three monhts old, I have to go there or ask somebody to order it in, which has been disastrous on the couple of times I've tried.

Some places maybe sell anime, some places maybe sell... I dunno, pro wrestling videos. I had a district manager last time I did retail (which was ten years ago, your mileage may vary) who was obsessive about going over sales reports and getting stock levels set up exactly right so that he wasn't wasting shelf space. He had huge fights with my store manager, who thought we couldn't sell stuff we didn't have, and would have fits when the DM yanked the high end stuff to go to stores that sold more high end stuff than we did. My understanding is that anime (and other kind of niche markets) have got relatively low profit margins, so I'm sure that if they're not moving product, they're going to dedicate the shelf space to something that moves better or that they make more money on or both, and that Best Buy's got a DM that does nothing but go over sales reports and determine which stores sell anime and how much shelf space they can dedicate to it in a particular location.

So- if there's another one a reasonable drive away, check them out, they might have a different selection.
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
well samgoody/suncoast/mediaplay are all linked and they were going bankruptish and then FYE bought them. i was told by an employee. i found this out because the replay card from samgoody/suncoast/mediaplay is no longer in use and now they all use the FYE backstage pass.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
All of the Best Buys in my town have at least 4 shelves of anime.

Really, its going to vary by area and how much anime the store tends to sell. If they don't sell much, then they aren't going to give it much shelf space, but if they sell a lot, then they'll give it more shelf space so they can sell more.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
I don't usually shop at Best buy because of the distance but the nearest one near me has a decent selection last time I was there. Perhaps you should ask the manager or something to see whats going on?

This is also coming from someone who hates Best Buy. They still have a good anime selection unlike Walmart they need to improve a lot more still better than nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
More then likely it's your store that is cutting back.....the BB that I visit most often has a few shelfs whereas as the BB by my work generally has a lot more. It's generally has to do with what sell at what store.
Tonboko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
RPGamer246 wrote:
well fye bought out mediaplay/suncoast/samgoody so your media play store may reopen, i was just informed that the suncoast at my local mall is reopening this thursday after it closed about 8 months ago.

That would be so awesome! Before it closed it was my area's main choice for anime shopping because new anime was all $20 and there was the Rewards system so we would wait for tripple points nights and get 15% off everything. Very Happy

I think what happening is since there is no longer a Media Play store, people have just started to buy more online (and with sales like the one rightstuff has, I can't blame them).

Thanks for all your replies.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
The Best Buy closest to where I live has a whole assload of anime. So it might just be in some stores then.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shinigami_Adell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Well the nearest Best Buy to me has two shelves of anime as well. It has been that way ever since I have been going there.(which is a short time) A Media Play around here closed last summer and they had a pretty good anime selection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2