• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach English Dub Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:33 am Reply with quote
cablebob2002 wrote:
the first episode of bleach in english was ok but i didn't like the fact that they made rukia say she was a soul reaper and not a death god like it is on tv tokyo,and there were some other parts they changed that just didn't vibe well with me

Yeah like everyone has posted the japaneese refer to them as Shinigami which doesnt have a direct english translation. The closest term is death god which really isn't accurate since they have nothing to do with death. Its basically their job to handle the souls of the deceased sending them to the appropriate place so a reaper of souls is MUCH more accurate.

Also I believe Tite Kubo the creator has officially said he prefers Soul Reaper over Death God, AND the japaneese dvd's use Soul Reaper on the boxes as far as I am aware.

Personally I loved it. I was a bit hesitant after listening to the dub but i figuired hey its only 30 seconds and it sometimes takes the voice actors a while to get into charachter.

I absolutely LOVED Rukia's voice. Michelle Ruff did a perfect job, she went from sweet to sarcastic in a heart beat and was a perfect portrayl of her role. As far as Ichigo's voice for the most part I was happy. Towards the begginning he sounded kinda blah like he didn't have much of a personality but he got much better as the episode progressed.

It will be intresting to see how the others sound. I REALLY want to hear Orihime's voice
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
anyone know when the DVDs will come out? ( know it's kind of early, but I might as well try.)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Nov 29 2006 DVD 1 comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Removed the last two posts containing a URL to "a certain site" because there are still plenty of fansub-ish things you can watch there. While they've certainly cracked down on that sort of problem, they are still there, nonetheless. Please avoid linking to it. Thanks.
Zrana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Lou wrote:
I heard from another Bleach fan that Tite Kubo himself actually created the English translation for Shinigami as "Soul Reaper." I have no idea whether that's true or not, but it seems plausible and if it's true then all you haters are banging your heads against the wall for nothing since the man who created Bleach may in fact be the one who popularized the term you think is so "wrong."

If it's not true, here's something else for people to chew on.

I was taught that 'shinigami' itself is a term created to represent the concept of Death or The Grim Reaper to Japanese people. In other words, that makes "Soul Reaper" a translation of a translation if you will. Also, that 'god' isn't very acurate either, since in English when we say 'god' we think of some all powerful being, but for Japanese it's just one of many types of supernatural spirits.

Anyways, it just means this:
Grim Reaper = shinigami = Soul Reaper
or
Grim Reaper = Soul Reaper

And really? Are those two terms all that different? The don't seem so to me.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
Keryth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Ok bleach dubbed sucks no wait it doesn't suck I just hate it but most who have watched the subbed up to the current episode that has been released in japan probably do I know all my friends do. I think it is great even though I don't like it. It brings the series to those who don't have internet or a computer to download the fan subs and to the people who are either too lazy to read subs or can't read. So woot for cartoon network for replacing some of the crap they have with a great series. As long as no one forces me to watch it I don't have to burn Cartoon Networks HQ to the ground Laughing
wao

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote
This article got translated on a Japanese blog, too. Only two comments, but one guy says it's not bad and while it doesn't surpass the original, it's a great job for an English (anime) dub. And that it's a lot better than Hikaru no Go and One Peace [sic]'s english dubs.

Although I suppose this link'll be removed because it's got a y*utube link... well, at least you all know! (That site regularly translates stuff related to Japanese anime, including forum discussions)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9