• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AnimePlay DVDs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I just found out about these cool interactive anime DVDs by a company called AnimePlay. These are not listed in the encyclopedia. Do you think they should be? Also has anybody played these DVDs who can tell us a little bit about them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:
I just found out about these cool interactive anime DVDs by a company called AnimePlay. These are not listed in the encyclopedia.

They technically fall under the class of "video games", so that's why they're not there. Most commonly they're called renai games or visual novels. The ones you're talking about are titles released by Hirameki Int.

4KrapSucks wrote:
Do you think they should be?

Yes. At least the ones that have been adapted into anime, I feel should be.

4KrapSucks wrote:
Also has anybody played these DVDs who can tell us a little bit about them?

Yes I have. They may not be what you're thinking they are though. It's basically like reading a book. A book with (generally) very high quality artwork, music, and where you can make choices that affect the outcome of the story. I've only really played romance titles though, as most of them are. I did play Galaxy Angel which is a combination of a visual novel and a stratigical RPG shooter game, but it has not been released in the US yet (is planning to be though).

Out of the ones that are available in English, by far, my favorite title would be Hourglass of Summer. It's sad how little attention this game gets, possibly because the anime wasn't that great, people did not play the renai game. I highly recommend it though. I've heard a lot of good things about Ever17 too, but have yet to pick it up. I'm going to have to get that one eventually too.

Hirameki Int.'s website is here. They're currently running a sale for "buy one Animeplay PC/DVD, get one AnimePlay DVD free", so now would be a good time to buy if you're interested.
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Have you played Amusement Park?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it was okay. Although the story was good, it was basically the same thing with each girl with a few minor changes. The endings were all exactly the same. The game was rather short too. I'd highly recommend Hourglass of Summer over Amusement Park
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Phatom an ova that came with a game.....and I also thought there was a standalone OVA. I don't think they should be in the encyclopedia since they are almost like games.....but then again I thought anime was define as any animation created in Japan.
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Amusement Park is a dating sim game so let me take a wild guess at the "ending". Were the girls hot at all?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Wasn't Phatom an ova that came with a game.....and I also thought there was a standalone OVA.

Phantom the Animation - Game Bundle comes with the AnimePlay DVD. I don't know anymore than that.

Deltakiral wrote:
I don't think they should be in the encyclopedia since they are almost like games.....but then again I thought anime was define as any animation created in Japan.

"Any animation created in Japan" would technically include all Japanese video games I think. They're all animated using computer graphics so I think they would technically qualify. I did present something similar to this to the encyclopedia before. Abunai made a good point why they shouldn't be added though.

But this isn't the reason I'm going for though. I'm going by that since manga is often adapted into anime and is in the encyclopedia, then I think video games that have been adapted into anime should also be in the encyclopedia.

But then I guess novels would also be able to come in too. Personally, it's just because I really like renai games that I think they should be allowed, and I think they have enough connection to anime that it would be reasonable. But eh, if they don't get added, I don't really have any problem with that. Also, manga has closer connections to anime than video games do so I can see that. But I think video games would come second after manga, and third would be novels.

4KrapSucks wrote:
Amusement Park is a dating sim game so let me take a wild guess at the "ending".

If you're implying sex, no, that wasn't the ending. Contrary to popular belief, not all dating sims revolve around just getting to have sex with the girls. Imo, many of them (often the most popular ones like Air, Kanon, Kiminozo, Higurashi, Fate/stay Night) have extremely well thought out stories, characters, etc. that are capable of being just as good as any anime's, if not better.

4KrapSucks wrote:
Were the girls hot at all?

You can decide that for yourself.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
This post does not exist. I accidentally created two posts trying to edit one. I don't know why I have three posts in a row. I clicked on reply.

Last edited by 4KrapSucks on Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
These are hardly video games.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:
I clicked on reply.

Which is why another post was created. Wink
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
They should be right behind the post I was replying to.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:
They should be right behind the post I was replying to.

Click EDIT.
4KrapSucks wrote:
These are hardly video games.

I hardly consider that a post, but that a completely different discussion.

Definition:An electronic or computerized game played by manipulating images on a video display or television screen.

So it's a videogame because you have the ability to change the images that occur on the screen.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah, you must be talking about the ones I found in the adult sections of many video game stores in Japan. I asked about these myself to some of the guys there and they told me that these DVD's are not movies but games. My guess is that you can play these on a DVD player instead of having to use a console or a computer, duh Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1