• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Extras Don't Get Any Respect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
Is the hey answerfans segment ever going to come back? I miss it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think as long as a show is out there in the mainstream, who cares how edited for TV it is, ESPECIALLY if the uncut version is on DVD? As long as it's on TV for millions to see, I'm happy. Plus, most anime needs to be edited to get on North American TV anyway, at the very least for time.

You may not care, but other people who want anime experienced in its unadulterated form cares.

It is required for terrestrial broadcast due to being "public" airwaves regulated by FCC content rules, but there's nothing legally preventing any cable station from showing anime uncensored. I saw Ninja Scroll movie completely uncensored on Cinemax. Toonami, AS or CN or whatever does not have to be so prudish, especially not now, especially when they are all scheduled sporadically, and all air late night/early am anyways. Anime on TV is not mainstream anymore, since the primary method of exposure and the vast bulk is online. Yet, they are still afraid for some reason.

Yes, premium networks like HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, Encore, etc show things uncut and commercial-free, but channels like Cartoon Network have standards so that their channel is fit for kids and parents. I thought they treated shows like Naruto and One Piece (under FUNimation) just fine. They only cut was was necessary, and while it would be nice if they could run anime uncut, the fact is, they don't and they won't. If there's an uncut release out on home video (which there usually is for non-toyetic shows), who cares if it has to be a little edited? This isn't 1995 anymore. If it's on TV for millions to see, it gives the medium, and ESPECIALLY the show in particular exposure to non-anime watching demographics. What's wrong with that?

Toonami doesn't censor their shows at all, other than bleeping out f-bombs and such. They do cut down the openings and endings, but this is necessary to fit the show in the timeslot without cutting any of the show itself.

Anime is still on TV, just not in the great capacity it used to be. I'm sure it's also popular streaming, especially on Netflix and Hulu, but obviously, TV broadcast is still the best outlet to reach the largest audience possible (especially the younger demographic).
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
LOL. Pokemon sells way better in Japan than America. And America has like 3.5 times the population Japan does and it still can't outsell Japanese sales for the games. Laughing The fact a country with such a small population sells more than America is proof of the franchise popularity in Japan.

Wrong, sir. Let's take a look, shall we? Let's use sales main games/remakes/third versions, as well as side games. The side games are undeniably more popular Stateside than in Japan

Pokemon Red/Green/Blue sales: 10.23 million in Japan, 9.85* million in the US

Pokemon Yellow sales: 3.16 million in Japan, 5.10 million in the US

Pokemon Gold and Silver sales: 7 million in Japan, 7.6 million in the US

Pokemon Crystal sales: 2.10 million in Japan, 1.65 million in the US

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire sales: 4.99 million in Japan, 5.60 million in the US

Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green: 2.91 million in Japan, 4.24 million in the US

Pokemon Emerald: 1.80 million in Japan, 2.44 million in the US

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl: 6.04 million in the US, 5.82 million in the US

Pokemon Platinum :2.69 in Japan, 2.47 million in the US

Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver: 3.96 million in Japan, 3.8 million

Pokemon Black and White: 5.64 in Japan, 4.9 million in the US

Pokemon Black and White 2 million in the US, 3.02 million

Keep in mind, this is only the US. Not North America. According the VGChartz, the series has sold 87.07 million in North America and since the US is the bulk of the NA video game industry, at least 90% of those sales are from the US. 69.46 million is how much the franchise has sold in Japan. And as for the *, since Green never got released outside of Japan, we can assume that if we take Green out of the picture, the games sold better than they did in Japan.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
>_> Maybe if you only watch dubs from Adult Swi-

Yeah, he's right. He didn't say most dubs on TV. He said most dubs, period. Also, Adult Swim has like the majority of anime on US TV. You know, get your head out of 1998, will ya?

Quote:
Judging how well received Nostalgia Critic's Sailor Moon, Linkara's Power Rangers, and JesuOtaku's Digimon videos are I'm gonna say no. >_> Those videos would only appeal to people who only saw the dub because anyone whos seen the original versions of those shows would be able to call them out for all their inaccuracies and flat out wrong statements sicne theyre judging the shows based on their American versions x_x

Power Rangers isn't an anime and is like 60% American/Australian/whatever isn't Japanese at least. The only thing that is Japanese about it is some stock footage from Super Sentai, the Sentai suits themselves and some bad guys. Only the later PR started to be CLOSER to Super Sentai, but still. They are talking about Power Rangers, not Super Sentai. As for Digimon and stuff, I agree with you, but you TitanXL expys need to learn to differentiate Super Sentai and Power Rangers. For all intents and purposes, Toei and Bandai consider the two franchises separate. Why you cannot, I do not know.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Toonami doesn't censor their shows at all, other than bleeping out f-bombs and such. They do cut down the openings and endings, but this is necessary to fit the show in the timeslot without cutting any of the show itself.

I understand trimming the OP and ED to fit the timeslot for commercials, but um, the bleeping the cursing is still censorship. They censor nudity and fanservice. They censored Deadman Wonderland. They will definitely be censoring Evangelion 2.22.

Quote:
Anime is still on TV, just not in the great capacity it used to be. I'm sure it's also popular streaming, especially on Netflix and Hulu, but obviously, TV broadcast is still the best outlet to reach the largest audience possible (especially the younger demographic).

I don't think it helps with broad exposure anymore. Because it's very late night/early am, and episodes are sporadically scheduled, it means it takes a lot of effort to actually catch some new show. There's little incentive to watch, unless you happen to be up at late, past midnight flipping channels or are already a diehard Toonami fan. All the shows are already available on Funimation's site, uncensored too (after home video release). I think if you actually want to help get some attention and provide some incentive, then aside from having better scheduling, my reply to enurtsol regarding content also applies:

Yeah, I pretty much figured that. But, the attitudes are changing. This exact issue came up with Yahoo's aquisition of Tumblr. Every analyst and press article ask the same question with regards to Tumblr's NSFW content. It seems like after one major stumbling block involving search, they are moving forward with ads. I recall one marketing firm or something expert interviewed saying even mainstream advertisers could find some way to work with it. Sankaku and 4chan also manages to have ads after all. I think main stumbling block might be perception by the sponsors about "cartoons", because in reality the demographics are certainly not kids. They're all mostly male young adults i.e. teens and above

YamadaKun wrote:
Quote:
LOL. Pokemon sells way better in Japan than America. And America has like 3.5 times the population Japan does and it still can't outsell Japanese sales for the games. Laughing The fact a country with such a small population sells more than America is proof of the franchise popularity in Japan.

Wrong, sir. Let's take a look, shall we? Let's use sales main games/remakes/third versions, as well as side games. The side games are undeniably more popular Stateside than in Japan

It does well in the US and most everywhere, but I guess from his point, on a per-capita basis, as a percentage to the population, it's hard to beat Pokemon's popularity in Japan.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
No, I think it's more to do with money and branding. It has nothing to do with being unreasonable. That Seiyuu's performance maybe hot in Japanese fanbase, but how popular is it in overseas? How are they going to make money in overseas while handling promotions and logistics? How well their oversea licensee is going to promote the performance and make serious money for them? Nobody wants lackluster exposure and wasted cost.

That's not what I meant by my comment. I was referring to Kouji mentioning how scattered the rights to a single anime series can get and how ridiculous it must be to have to go to every single rights-holder and negotiate terms with them. If they want to release a complete DVD/BD with everything tied into that anime, it can be an ordeal, like dealing with one selfish kid.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Lots of great info about the interworkings of anime licensing and broadcasting from Justin. I'm glad that some of those out-of-print titles that were impossible to get due to licensing issues in that 2007-2011 range are now available.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I understand trimming the OP and ED to fit the timeslot for commercials, but um, the bleeping the cursing is still censorship. They censor nudity and fanservice. They censored Deadman Wonderland. They will definitely be censoring Evangelion 2.22.

Yes, but has [adult swim] ever allowed f-bombs and nudity? Pretty much every non-premium cable channel censors both. It's perfectly normal. Them censoring Deadman shouldn't be a shock. The show was on mainstream TV, and it had a good timeslot too, with good ratings. It's much more popular now than it would be otherwise. A little bleeping and blurring is no big deal at all, and expected on TV. Anyone who DIDN'T expect the show to be censored apparently is not familiar with basic cable...

configspace wrote:
I don't think it helps with broad exposure anymore. Because it's very late night/early am, and episodes are sporadically scheduled, it means it takes a lot of effort to actually catch some new show. There's little incentive to watch, unless you happen to be up at late, past midnight flipping channels or are already a diehard Toonami fan. All the shows are already available on Funimation's site, uncensored too (after home video release).

The first couple hours are holding strong. There's a reason the reruns are on later (even I stop watching after SAO). Wink Even they get strong viewership given their timeslots.

Shows on TV give the programs more exposure. The ratings on Toonami show that it's definitely still important.

People like me who live in areas without proper internet connections (all we can get are crappy mobile hotspots and satellite) find it more convenient just to watch stuff on TV, since streaming isn't a consistent option (sometimes I can do it, sometimes I can't. HD is out of the question). Although we are still forced to get DirecTV or Dish if we want more than 4 channels. Rolling Eyes

Plus normal broadcasting makes it easier for new fans to get into a show or the medium as a whole. This is less likely if you have to go out of your way to find a show online ESPECIALLY if you have to pay for it.
Jave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
If it's on TV for millions to see, it gives the medium, and ESPECIALLY the show in particular exposure to non-anime watching demographics. What's wrong with that?

Let's just call it quality control issue when it comes to the fandom. Just because you have the chance of letting a ton of people into your clubhouse doesn't mean you should. Laughing I know I'm dreading how much worse the American Digimon fandom's going to get once Xros Wars dub hits Nickelodeon. Right now I know if I talk to anyone about Xros Wars they have to have seen the uncut version but in a few months that guarantee is gone.

YamadaKun wrote:
Wrong, sir. Let's take a look, shall we?

All your numbers told me is the Pokéfad has been declining in America for awhile now and despite North America having 350 million more people in it than Japan it still has trouble reaching Japanese sales. Rolling Eyes
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
fascinating column. I was always wondering how the extras on US anime releases worked.
wonderwomanhero wrote:
It seems on most of ADV Films Thinpack DVD sets...the extras from the original discs were not included

You can add the sakura wars tv boxset to the list, although it seems the adv thinpack of Jinki Extend included its extras. I have always thought that the cutting out of extras was to save money, at least on cheaper re releases. U.S. studios like Warner Bros. and Fox do it all the time. Echo Bridge's releases of Pokemon movies( hell, all there releases) are barebones. It seems most single volume releases usually had more extras, at least in comparison to the boxsets we get today.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:

...Oh, by the way, this seiyuu's representatives don't approve of his or her vocal performance being used outside of Japan. Have fun working with them. Razz

Sounds like what happened with Funi & Kodocha... man, while Funi handled it probably the best they could (skipping 1st OP song & muting the Japanese audio in that artists scenes), it was still a complete clusterfuck. I commend Funi for being upfront about it & explaining it on a submenu of the DVD rather than leaving the change unexplained to surprise a viewer...
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
reanimator wrote:
No, I think it's more to do with money and branding. It has nothing to do with being unreasonable. That Seiyuu's performance maybe hot in Japanese fanbase, but how popular is it in overseas? How are they going to make money in overseas while handling promotions and logistics? How well their oversea licensee is going to promote the performance and make serious money for them? Nobody wants lackluster exposure and wasted cost.

That's not what I meant by my comment. I was referring to Kouji mentioning how scattered the rights to a single anime series can get and how ridiculous it must be to have to go to every single rights-holder and negotiate terms with them. If they want to release a complete DVD/BD with everything tied into that anime, it can be an ordeal, like dealing with one selfish kid.

Okay. it can't be helped, right? Each committee member has his/her own interest on the property that each owns a certain part and the licensee can't do anything about that. If a music right holder has different idea about how his music should be used, then there is nothing can be done. Right? Unlike Hollywood counterpart, Japanese animations & films are lot cheaper to produce. In return, individual creators (manga artist, writer, composer, etc) are taken very seriously. It may sound unpleasant to some western fans, but it's a tradeoff in my opinion.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Let's just call it quality control issue when it comes to the fandom. Just because you have the chance of letting a ton of people into your clubhouse doesn't mean you should. Laughing I know I'm dreading how much worse the American Digimon fandom's going to get once Xros Wars dub hits Nickelodeon. Right now I know if I talk to anyone about Xros Wars they have to have seen the uncut version but in a few months that guarantee is gone.

Well, I'm mostly talking about situations like Toonami, or even stuff like Naruto, where only the bare minimum is censored.

Though I personally am looking forward to Digimon Fusion on Nickelodeon, and I've never seen an episode of Digimon (as an actor, it makes me wish I lived in LA, so I could've had a chance to audition for it).
Twage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I completely sympathize with the third asker. For example, I recently ordered Michiko to Hatchin: Complete Series... Part 1. Uh... what?
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I don't think Rurouni Kenshin was very popular since it didn't finish it's Toonami run.

It didn't finish its run because it was about evil Christians using their evil Jesus magic to take revenge for all the Christian who the Japanese killed. Oh Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4