• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach English Dub Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
lol all the narutards and bleachtards need to hush, the english voices are decent enough. Rukia sounds a bit too old at first but since she is suppose to have lived a long time despite her appearence I suppose it is fine.
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
therealssjlink wrote:
No for my concerns. I am really wondering what they are going to do with Urahara and Yoruichi. Urahara speaks like a girl while Yoruichi speaks like an old man (obviously on purpose..). I do not if they will be able to make that come out sounding good though in the english one...anyone got any thoughts on this?

I can definitely see Urahara working if they just ham it up (barring the serious moments, of course). For Yoruichi (and Kuukaku), the only thing I can think of is just making their speech really blunt.

I'm more curious as to how they're handling Rukia's normal speech. She's a little old-fashioned in the way she speaks.
humantyphoon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
the english dubs dont have to sound the same as the japanese dubs. someone decided that that voice actor would be good for the part and thats their opinion. so far from what I have heard I dont really like the english dub, but it could get better over time.

when I think of the japanese voice of ichigo I think of a street punk or a delinquent. but when heard the english voice i thought the ichigo in the american version might be openly gay. the ichigo i know from the japanese version could be gay but he hides it well with a deep and cool voice.
Sweet Lou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
humantyphoon wrote:

when I think of the japanese voice of ichigo I think of a street punk or a delinquent. but when heard the english voice i thought the ichigo in the american version might be openly gay. the ichigo i know from the japanese version could be gay but he hides it well with a deep and cool voice.

And that's probably one of the most f'ed up interpretations I've heard about the Bleach dub so far. I think you might be openly gay for being able to detect openly gayness in other men's voices.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Man I can't wait for Saturday night.

I've always said that dubbing has gotten so much better over the years; and Bleach is going to continue that trend.

Nice interview BTW.

Goodspeed wrote:
Some of the people at YouTube complaining about the dub voices have no right to complain, considering they can't even seem to understand proper English.

I went through most of the responses, just for kicks, and yes that is mostly the case. Here's one I found really hilarious:

Quote:
THE US VERSION IS MADE OF FAIL AND GET!

Question

Last edited by DemonEyesLeo on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
tidusora

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
I hate people who claim that all subs are better than dubs. Really, and if they think they have all biased opinions on subs better than dubs, that's really sad. After all, that clip was a thirty second clip, any negative reaction from that should be how short it was. Really, a one-minute clip, we'd actually be able to spill out little negative opinions, but from a thirty-second clip and people are already saying : "The Bleach Dub sux hahaha. It's as bad as the Naruto Dub.....it's worse then One Piece."

I'm surprised they have no shame in themselves. Positive reactions make sense, but negative reactions just don't make any sense.

My Opinions:

Rukia's Voice: It's great, really, I'm surprised her voice doesn't sound like a lot of her dubs, which is good. The complaints about her voice being dull is just dumb. First of all, Rukia voice is not feeling anything at all, until the episodes progress, then she becomes less devoid of feelings.

Ichigo's Voice: A clip of him was shown talking, yes it sounds pretty unique. His voice will prove to be great in battle scenes. If you want it to sound exactly like the Japanese Version, just don't watch the English Version. Nobody's voice is the same, and you obviously can't have the Japanese person dub it, except Mari Ijima who has a great dubbing voice, overall. Reason that you can't get a Japanese voice actor, with the exception of Mari Ijima, to dub an English version of an anime, is because the pronunciations, and their Engrish.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
therealssjlink wrote:
No for my concerns. I am really wondering what they are going to do with Urahara and Yoruichi. Urahara speaks like a girl while Yoruichi speaks like an old man (obviously on purpose..). I do not if they will be able to make that come out sounding good though in the english one...anyone got any thoughts on this?

I can definitely see Urahara working if they just ham it up (barring the serious moments, of course). For Yoruichi (and Kuukaku), the only thing I can think of is just making their speech really blunt.

I'm more curious as to how they're handling Rukia's normal speech. She's a little old-fashioned in the way she speaks.

Hmm...yeah, I was thinking about it and it could work. For example they could have Urahara say stuff (that sounds very fake) like "Whatever could you mean?" and Yoruichi say things like "Let's go boy, we've only got 3 days!". As for Rukia, they could just have her speak very proper or something (please no foreign accent!).
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
tidusora wrote:
I hate people who claim that all subs are better than dubs. Really, and if they think they have all biased opinions on subs better than dubs, that's really sad.

The sad part is when they used the word subs. They have no idea if the translation is as good as they think they are (I've seen a few subs which had horrible translations, therefore I tend not too watch many with subtitles). Also, most of the people who have been saying things like that fail to realize that before they watched anime nearly all dubs were butchered to death and most people liked them (the reason is because they are all 14-15 year olds who's first anime was Inuyasha....).
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'll always prefer it in Japanese but that's because it's what I heard first, not because it's inherently superior.
They seem to have done a decent job based on the 30 seconds. I will be able to judge better after seeing a few episodes. I expect to dislike it but if it's ok it will grow on me. I did not like Naruto much when it started but it grew on me. People need to recognize that their dislike is based on their not being used to the voice actors. It's not a failing of the dub. You'll always like it better the way you first heard it.

On a side note I appreciate and am please by the number of people who started thei comments by saying Bleach is as bad as the Naruto dub. I know that if someone hates that dub they'll hate almost any dub and I can safely disregard their opinion. While reading the comments as soon as I see bad as Naruto I skip down. I'm not saying this to be mean, I really do think it creates a good frame of reference about people's opinions and saves time (I'm sure it would work the opposite way too. If you read that some one likes the Naruto dub and you hated it you know you won't see eye to eye with them on a dub.). I have a friend who complained about the first Saiyuki dub. Which was fine because now I know never to listen to her opinion about a dub.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
therealssjlink wrote:
most of the people who have been saying things like that fail to realize that before they watched anime nearly all dubs were butchered to death and most people liked them (the reason is because they are all 14-15 year olds who's first anime was Inuyasha....).

Funny that you would think that. It's been my experience that hard-core older fans are harder on dubs then new younger fans. But that's a generalization based on my own friends who are decidedly anti-dub. We're all older 30ish fans. My baby sister who is 15 has never watched an anime subtitled that wasn't a fan sub.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
ChaosAxess wrote:

sakuharu23 wrote:
Dub Ichigo sounds like a less deep version of the original. Which isn't bad, since Ichigo is only 15.

Matching the attitude and feeling of the character is more important than pitch of voice, though. That's really what a lot of dub haters don't realize. Sure you can get a VA that sounds like them, but there's no real point if they can't act like them.

That's a very good point that many hardcore fan don't realize.

Now anime fans are extremely anal about their hobby compare to say gamers. They boycott everything, even over the simplest thing. But what can you expect from the hardcore fan that get their anime for free.

But it's very hypocritical to call out American VA mispronouncing Japanese term when the majority of Japanese VA misprounce simple English term. Such as watching Hoop Day when the word "nice shot" becomes Nice Shoto. Saber becomes Say-BAA. Well it's just their natural way of speaking so they have tend to Japanize American term and I'm not gonna fully blame them for the terrible engrish they put in japanese dub.

Now I'm a reasonble guy. I let a lot of things slide if it doesn't affect the story, what I care about is how well the voices are act so that it sound natural rather than being force. Shimigami = Soul Reaper.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
BTW, great interview. Seem like a great cast and I really like Johnny's voice in Wolf's Rain and Trigun.

Quote:
What other projects do you have coming up?

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you... haha.

How come everybody always use this line when they are ask for information. Very Happy

Quote:
A couple of things that make playing Ichigo different for me is that I have more experience now as a voice actor and I'm very aware of the fans and taking them very seriously. I'm an actor, not an imitator, so I know I won't please everyone but my goal is to make Ichigo believable.

Couldn't have said it better. Idea
Animedude35

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
It's always pretty funny when people say the dub sucks compared to the sub (in context, it's comparing apples to oranges because dub is audio and sub is text) Just for the fact that they saw the Japanese language version first means it HAS to be the correct voice, even some Japanese VAs suck in some animes You're Under Arrest comes to mind where the English dub was better than the Japanese language dub (the director of the Japanese version of the anime series said so himself).

Also, on the pronounciation, unless all elitest know the Japanese language, I highly doubt that they can tell people how to speak a language themselves without speaking it fluently first hand. I hate it when people THINK they know what they are talking about, when in they don't know anything at all. Not everyone is fluent in the Japanese language, so give the American VAs a break, and at least they are trying to say it (I mean they have a Japanese tutor there to help). I know many of the narutards and bleach fanatics out there trying to get the PUREST form out there don't know how to hold a conversation in Japanese, so instead of telling people how things should be done, first know what the hell you are talking about before you comment on something stupid as the dub being horrible (based on a 30 second commerical I might add).
NezuChiza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
The person who wrote the article needs to be a bit more careful with what they say. The sentence "Viz's smash hit supernatural action series has become an international phenomenon since its debut in the pages of Shonen Jump back in 2002." implies that Viz created the series, rather than just licensing it once they caught on to how popular it was becoming. Viz had nothing to do with creating the series, they merely picked it up. To imply otherwise is just wrong, and belittles those who actually MADE the anime. Next time give credit where credit is due rather than passing the buck onto someone who merely bought something others made.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
therealssjlink wrote:
most of the people who have been saying things like that fail to realize that before they watched anime nearly all dubs were butchered to death and most people liked them (the reason is because they are all 14-15 year olds who's first anime was Inuyasha....).

Funny that you would think that. It's been my experience that hard-core older fans are harder on dubs then new younger fans. But that's a generalization based on my own friends who are decidedly anti-dub. We're all older 30ish fans. My baby sister who is 15 has never watched an anime subtitled that wasn't a fan sub.

Well, most of the older fans I know don't even bother watching most things on Tv and haven't even seen most adult swim dubs (in reference to bleach, but works for other shows too). However, all the highschool kids go home and watch their tv and see their favorite show in english and automatically hate on it (For example, I don't evn bother watching 4kids OP, however, this one 14 year old I talked to would complain about it all the time to me. I told him "If you don't like, why are you even watching it?")
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9