• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dragon's Crown

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Jim Sterling thoughts on DRagon's Crown
http://www.destructoid.com/jimquisition-dragon-s-frown-259418.phtml

Last edited by AnimenexuS on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
You've nevoer played an online game before that requires voice chat I take it Smile[...] I guess some people are really sheltered from certain aspect of the gaming scene Razz

I do play MMOs. I'll give you there are some creepy guys who go out of their way to "help" any player perceived as female, whether they want it or not. At the same time, there are also... for lack of a better word... terrible people that hate female gamers (especially in pvp) and do everything they can do to harass them or just act insanely stupid when they encounter them in say a guild or raid. I really like this this gender inverted video as it captures many of the issues. With that said, Gender and MMOs is a complicated issue and one I don't feel entirely qualified to speak on.

And I'll note that for as much undeserved flack as female twitch streamers get for receiving donations--the most popular streams tend to be run by guys.

Last edited by Draneor on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

All this. The review is extremely positive of the game on a whole, getting all A's and B's. There's only a single paragraph in the whole review discussing the character designs and some of the problems he had with it. Only 1. From all the discussion in this thread you would think the entire review was just Todd lambasting the female character designs.

Yeah, funny how the people who claim to be sooooo tired of hearing about this and people making a big deal of it were themselves the ones that brought it up. I believe the first THREE posts were all complaining about that one (two?) line(s). They could have started discussing their excitement for the game, or some other aspect of the review, but they chose not to. And here we are.

This is relevant.

So is this.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
That's their own opinion.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Barbobot wrote:

All this. The review is extremely positive of the game on a whole, getting all A's and B's. There's only a single paragraph in the whole review discussing the character designs and some of the problems he had with it. Only 1. From all the discussion in this thread you would think the entire review was just Todd lambasting the female character designs.

Yeah, funny how the people who claim to be sooooo tired of hearing about this and people making a big deal of it were themselves the ones that brought it up. I believe the first THREE posts were all complaining about that one (two?) line(s). They could have started discussing their excitement for the game, or some other aspect of the review, but they chose not to. And here we are.

This is relevant.

So is this.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
You've nevoer played an online game before that requires voice chat I take it Smile

i have. here is how "white knight" generally occurs in context:

a girl says anything at all on the mic
dudes start awkwardly hitting on her, teamkilling her, calling her fat, etc
a dude mocks them or tells them off
"dude stop white knighting" *kick*

it's a phrase that shitty people invented because they need to believe that people less shitty than them are just faking it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, "white knight"'ing is just a bullshit phrase made up by people getting mad at others calling them sexists, so they started saying "You're only protecting her because you want to screw her!" as if the only thing driving men is the possibility of sexual encounters.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Yeah, Kamitani's "You don't like my female character designs? Then you must be GAAYYYYY LOL!" response made me really question getting this game, maybe even more than the designs themselves.

Yeah, he said it was a big misunderstanding and a mistranslations, and he issued a big apology afterwards, but still...
Did you honestly believe what Kotaku was saying or do you just look deeper than you need to just to find something offensive?

Kotaku complained that women are too sexy, Kamitani showed him the opposite of sexy women to show he can draw more than just attractive looking women. Lo and behold Kotaku doesn't know how to respond without losing face hence they play the victim card by accusing Kamitani of homophobia...just because he showed them pictures of naked men.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The game has gotten positive reviews across the board.

I wouldn't call the art distasteful so much as overexaggerated. It calls back Conan, Red Sonja and other heroes of their ilk. It's nowhere near as bad as Lightning. Thatbeing said, you could easily argue the joke wears thin.

I seriously want a Vita to play this. The D&D capcom brawlers are among the best beat em ups ever made and this looks like a worthy successor.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Man, it's not like the patriarchy upholds those industries and the standards that lead girls to using them, no, that can't possibly be true. That'd make you have to think, and that would be doubleplusungood.

My fiancé told me she loves to look good for her own sake rather than anyone else's. Now I see she is actually brainwashed and has no free will of her own. Very enlightening Laughing
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Brainwashing is far more subtle than fiction makes it out to be.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope this game does super well for a DL title. Just to remove any doubts about it not being an issue, but being fun.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I only have a 3DS and no Vita, so I really have no opinion on this game.

...Goodnight!
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the big deal with breasts? I see breasts every day. Nothing to really get so worked up over.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Er... what distastefun can one find in big breasts? It's like there are no big breasts in real life. And what is wrong with muscular female version of barbarian? For many years we had the same concept of male warrior. But when we finally got worthy female version all femishit broke lose! These feminists and "moralists" (I have a lot of more suitable words but let's try to be subtle) are strange people. If we have such over-the-top design of male characters than they whining about "power fantasies" and catering to male audience. But when they get the same female design, they continue their whining, now about "chauvinistic" designers and, again, catering to male audience. Its like these feminists dont know what they really want. Creative people and creators just need to ignore this insane mass and continue doing what they want.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
Er... what distastefun can one find in big breasts? It's like there are no big breasts in real life.

It's like people don't actually read what people say about and miss the point.

Quote:
And what is wrong with muscular female version of barbarian? For many years we had the same concept of male warrior.

I don't really have a problem with the Amazon for precisely this reason, though I'm basing this entirely on one image of her I keep seeing. Maybe there's more issues with her actual in-game animations. And the vast majority of the criticism seems to be focused on the sorceress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 18