• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most overrated and most underrated anime.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
Here is where you can talk about which anime you find to be incredibly overrated, and which anime you think is underrated.

Overrated:Neon Genesis Evangelion:Yep you read that right. This show is soooo overrated. It's also pretty boring. And the whole religious symbolism thing is just there to cause controversy.

Underrated:Legend of Duo:This horror/action mini-show is actually pretty good. It is a bit confusing but if you like vampire horror stuff you should like this. More info can be found on the page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:
And the whole religious symbolism thing is just there to cause controversy.

Actually, it's more of a decoration. People associated with the show have apparently gone on record to say that if they knew the show was coming over to western audiences, they would've used traits from another religion.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
Well, unfortunately I'm inclined to agree. At this point I also say that most overrated is Evangelion. Although to be honest I think Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya may soon take that title away but I'll stick with Evangelion for now. It's not a bad series, but I just didn't think it was great and all this philosophy and religion wasn't enough to convince me otherwise. Not to mention it deserves an award for having the most irritating cast of any anime I've yet seen aside from the most idiotic harem shows.

For underrated, as I've said in similar threads, is Figure 17. An anime that far too people have seen but deserves a lot more credit than it gets. It's a character piece mixed with some cliche sci-fi but done in a very believable manner with a terrific dub and sub. Despite the sci-fi background it's really a character drama with really high quality character development and realism. Very few series have made me care for a cast of characters nearly as much as this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
I liked the Evangelion anime, but they keep releasing it. With the release of the 10th anniversary pack it will be the third dvd release of the show. That's not counting the vhs, that's right I said vhs and for those newbs who don't know vhs is that rectangular black thing that goes into the vcr. I only wish they had had anime on beta, that would've been something lol. The problem is I agree it's the most over rated show but not because of the content. I think it is because they keept over commercializing it. I just can't watch it anymore. They keep re-doing it like they're James Cameron and Steven Spielberg touching up every movie they made. Just leave the show alone. It had it's time.

For me, the most underrated show would probably be Get Backers, hence my avatar. Almost no one even knows what the bloody show is! It was a great show! It had a very nice mix of action and comedy with just enough drama to keep it from getting too silly. I think the interactions between the main characters Ban and Ginji is what really drove the show. I found them to almost be like an animated Odd Couple (let's see if anyone even knows what I'm talking about). People may not agree with me but that's my opinion. Anyone who hasn't tried Get Backers give it a shot.
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Not to mention it deserves an award for having the most irritating cast of any anime I've yet seen aside from the most idiotic harem shows.

Yeah, like Love Horror.
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
most overrated: DBZ. The story became horribly repetitive after the freiza saga.

most underrated: Cromartie High School. This shows whacky sense of humor is awesome, altho it's gotten a good reception in the U.S. and has managed to keep ADV of all companies steadily releasing the manga *shock and awe* I only know of 1 or 2 other fans on this whole board, so this is my underrated pic. Smile
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Overrated: Any Miyazaki movie. Yeah. You heard me right and no I will not take it back. After checking out Totoro and Spirited Away, I didn't see anything special 'bout them. They were pretty boring to be honest. I even stopped watching Totoro because it was so sucky. There are much better movies out there that are having credit taken away from them because of Miyazaki. Another reason I hate his movies. People act like he's a god and that his movies are a masterpiece when neither is true. In my opinion he's mediocre and Kon does a better job.

Underrated:Yu-Gi-Oh!(Japanese version). In Japanese, YGO is actually good but thanks to 4Shame Entertainment, this show has a bad rep in the U.S. and is the butt of ridicule(i.e. that all the characters are gay, etc). I only know one person who rated YGO Excellent. (U.S. YGO is overrated 'cause of the little kiddies that actually believe that Heart of the Cards BS).

Last edited by Shonen Bat on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Have you seen that ONE PIECE... of crap flash on deviantART?
http://www.deviantart.com/view/11707485 You may have to download it, but it is soo worth it! It used to just come up.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote
I agree that Eva is the most overrated anime in the US, and feel no need to repeat everyone else further. Very Happy

Underrated: While I'm reallllllly tempted to back up Figure 17 on that mark (Gasp! A show about a kid fighting aliens who actually acts like a real kid! Shocked ), I'm gonna go weird and say Grrl Power!. I only picked this up on a whim (it was $3), but it was surprisingly good. Short without feeling cramped or cut, the odd-looking animation complements the slightly-askew visual humor well, and I just really enjoy seeing a character using sign language! I still don't think it's quite worth the $30 it was when it came out, but it's definitely worth more than I paid for it. (I use that to justify spending another $3 on the horrid Debutante Detective Corps. That was a waste. Wink )
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
I have not ever seen Grrl Power. Is it available for rental anywhere?
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/11707485 You may have to download it, but it is soo worth it! It used to just come up.

Dude, as off topic as it is, that deviant art had me ROFLing. One Piece Mother@#%&er!! and Baghdad Mew Mew hahahahaha
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
4KrapSucks wrote:

Dude, as off topic as it is, that deviant art had me ROFLing. One Piece Mother@#%&er!! and Baghdad Mew Mew hahahahaha

That was funny. Shanks' austrailian accent, A True to the Original Ninja Turtles. For once Deviantart has something on it's site that IS funny. Pretty much every flash movie there sucks('Cept for a few Clock Crew flashes).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Just so you know bennyb I really like Chromartie as well. I simply chose Getbackers cause more people have heard of Chromartie. That link though,,,,OMFG that's great! Laughing
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
For underrated, as I've said in similar threads, is Figure 17.

You are my favorite person for the day. This show is highly under-rated. Although, the age rating is at 7+, it is a show which will evoke the same emotions as Only Yesterday, and Wisper of the Heart. But it does it in a different way. Does it have draw backs, yeah, it is a 26(13) episode series, which basically has some filler(anime filler not manga) added. But in my opinion most of that was good too. And as Keonyn has pointed out you really do care for these girls, and not in some weird sick way, you really want to help them. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
the most overrated anime right now is hands down The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. people treat it like it's the god of all animes, and it just isn't that great at all. the pacing sucks, the comedy is strictly hit or miss, Haruhi is annoying... i could go on. what really bothers me is that it's taking attention away from shows that actually deserve it.

most Underrated would be Black Lagoon. i'm telling you now, this is gonna be huge in the US. i can't believe that barely anyone has seen it. Runner Up: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14