• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(Semi-OT) Ideas for the anime club I started

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Masked Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I Started an Anime Club at my school toward the end of last school year. Now, after the first week of school, I need to think of how to get this thing off the ground. I already have members, but I want to do something besides watching Anime. Any ideas?
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, if there's an upcoming anime convention or some type of anime show you could possibly try and arrange a field trip to it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, you can try to introduce the idea of trying to bring manga into the picture, since the majority of anime is adapted from manga. And maybe get people to show off their anime attire Wink
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Well, you can try to introduce the idea of trying to bring manga into the picture, since the majority of anime is adapted from manga. And maybe get people to show off their anime attire Wink

You mean possible show Cosplay photo, or even show up at school in Cosplay? That could get really ugly if you ask me, beside half of the cosplay outfit would be against most school's dress code.

Anywho try contacting ADV/Funimation, they have special promotion deals for Anime clubs. If you have an advisior ADV/Funi will send you their newest anime to try out, it's a good deal if you ask me.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
You mean possible show Cosplay photo, or even show up at school in Cosplay? That could get really ugly if you ask me, beside half of the cosplay outfit would be against most school's dress code.

In a way, yes and no. What I meant was just shirts or hats that have anime characters or titles on them. I thought about cosplay being put into my answer but thought otherwise. Though it looks like that it was assumed that way. Though if they wanted to cosplay they could bring the costume to school and just put it on when it's club time.
Other things would be finding out about seiyuus, guides about the anime if you can find any, and collectibles you might have. Though if they're expensive I would be against the idea myself.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Check out Operation Anime.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Other things would be finding out about seiyuus, guides about the anime if you can find any, and collectibles you might have. Though if they're expensive I would be against the idea myself.

As for the seiyuu thing, it's a good idea, but don't just focus on Japanese voice actors. Don't forget that your club may have a lot of dub fans.

Someone already mentioned FUNimation's Operation Anime, so I guess I'll mention this.

And I like the collectibles thing. Members of my club (well, before I became president) used to put Gundam models and Eva figurines up front on the desk. We don't really do that anymore, though, but it's a good idea, especially for a new club.[/url]
Greennunu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, you guys can start learning japanese, which is becoming easier and easier for me now, but it would have helped if I had other people learning it with me. A webpage might be something good to invest in, mostly a forum, who knows maybe you'll get some more members not around your area. Cosplaying at school is probably not recomended, unless you're going to dress up as random student #37329487, but maybe after school activities.

Maybe purchase a Japanese game console and play some Japanese anime games... might want to stick with fighting games though.

I don't have much inputs since I haven't been in any club so I don't really know what I would enjoy.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Greennunu, you could get one of the members to bring in a gamecube and import or just purchase the english versions of the Naruto games. Those are really fun with 3 friends. Also the One Piece games are supposed to be pretty fun.
Webki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
You could also try to watch some actual Japanese films, not just anime I mean.

For example, you could have a day where you watch Seven Samurai. Then, after you finish that film, you can watch the anime series Samurai 7, since it is somewhat based off of that.

Also, the manga idea is good as well. Kind of like a book discussion group I guess. Pick a series, have everyone pick it up, then read a volume and discuss the next day (or two or three days, depending on how much time you think is necessary).

Umm, cosplay is probably not the best idea. Unless you guys do it by bringing your costume to school and dressing up after school during the club. But even then, probably not a good idea.

For videogames, you can try Bleach DS. It's a good game that you can have tournaments with. Or if you are looking for something that everyone can watch at the same time, a Gamecube is probably your best bet. A lot of anime fighting games have been released for it.

Finally, you can try some Japanese board game tournaments. I recommend Go (what it is called in English). Though it isn't technically a Japanese game (it's Chinese), many say that it gained the most popularity and the game itself was most advanced in Japan. Plus, Go is huge there. They even have an anime about it. So you can watch the series (Hikaru no Go) and then play the game. It is fun... but very strategic.

Anyway, that's all I've got. Good luck with your club.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Connecting to the Japanese movies you could try and find some of the dramatizations of anime or manga that they have also. A good way to check them first is by internet, and then see how you can get it to the club, by way of rental or order.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
yeah, i don't think cosplay is a good idea either. learning japanese looks like a good idea too, but most people are too lazy to learn another language.

most anime club and the anime club in my university just watch anime, play video games.

we play video games most of the time. sometime i think we are a video game club.

Quote:
..many say that it gained the most popularity and the game itself was most advanced in Japan...

na, Japanese are not good at Go. Right nowthe, best is korean then follow by china.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
na, Japanese are not good at Go. Right nowthe, best is korean then follow by china.

Shogi anyone?
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
I was thinking of having anime-themed fundraisers this year for my anime club to raise money for goign to a nearby anime con. I was thinking Trigun themed donut sale, or using frosting to put anime symbols or character faces on and having a bake sale. Also, I like the idea of having a manga lending library. Everyone one posts up their list of manga, and they can swap. Smile
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
NO.

If you have a bake sale, do not make it anime-themed. If you want, you can put up a sign that says "ANIME CLUB BAKE SALE" and has anime characters on it, but that's it. If you make cupcakes with Haruhi or Sasuke on them, people will say, "Ugh pedophiles," or something and walk away. Trust me, I had a bake sale last year and some idiot wouldn't buy our cookies because they had "gay anime f*ggots" on them. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2