• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
All I have to say is...wow. Congradulations on finding something like that, I must applaud you, as well as the one who came up with that one.

Not me. Embarassed I haven't checked every page of the official episode guide until I learned the trivia in another forum.

By the way, before the anime started airing some users of that forum tried to guess who the seiyuu would be. While most results were off, everyone predicted Kyon to be played by Tomokazu Sugita. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Haruhi's hair doesn't change after the introduction that her hair changes everyday. Smile

Noticing a lot of small incongruencies while watching it again.

She stops changing it because Kyon mentions it. It's the same in the novel, and in fact that becomes a plot point...
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Not me. Embarassed I haven't checked every page of the official episode guide until I learned the trivia in another forum.

By the way, before the anime started airing some users of that forum tried to guess who the seiyuu would be. While most results were off, everyone predicted Kyon to be played by Tomokazu Sugita. Shocked

Well I can understand why most people would think him as the best VA for the role, his work as Rin in Shuffle! alone was fantastic, not to mention the other roles he's played. I forsee him doing many more roles in the future Anime smile (god, I must sound like a fan-girl...even though I'm a guy).

As for the hair change, it's one of the childish ways of thinking IMO. You know, how you try to do something to get other people's attention, but when they notice it you change it just ause you've accomplished that small part. Of course, even the smallest things can be major plot points like when spoiler[Kyon told Yuki that she looks better without her glasses]. << for those that haven't noticed this/watched this part yet Razz
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
What blows me away everytime I see anything about the show is just how much detail they put into it. It seems like nearly every third or fourth comment in the show can only be truly understood if you're: paying a lot of attention, have seen the whole show, and know lots and lots of pop culture. Then they go and bother to put this much forthougt into the website!? DO THEY KNOW NO BOUNDS?! DO THEY HAVE TO EAT OTAKU SOULS TO SURVIVE?! Evil or Very Mad Or.... mabe they're like a lot of people and just have waayyy too much free time... (I'm gonna go with the living off the souls of humans thingy though)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
everyone predicted Kyon to be played by Tomokazu Sugita. Shocked

Had I participated back then, my immediate guess for Kyon probably would have been Tomokazu Seki. With his flexibility with his voice, I'm sure he would have played Kyon pretty well. Although, he probably would not fit as well as Tomokazu Sugita.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
The Sphinx wrote:
Azathrael wrote:
Haruhi's hair doesn't change after the introduction that her hair changes everyday. Smile

Noticing a lot of small incongruencies while watching it again.

She stops changing it because Kyon mentions it. It's the same in the novel, and in fact that becomes a plot point...

I suspected the novel explained it. Considering how much attention KyoAni was giving to detail in this series, I couldn't imagine they just forgot to keep changing her hair. I would have been nice if they explained it in the anime but since you say it becomes a plot point, it probably wasn't something they could have just stuck in there without going into another story.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
dormcat wrote:
everyone predicted Kyon to be played by Tomokazu Sugita. Shocked

Had I participated back then, my immediate guess for Kyon probably would have been Tomokazu Seki. With his flexibility with his voice, I'm sure he would have played Kyon pretty well. Although, he probably would not fit as well as Tomokazu Sugita.

Well, I agree with that -- but honestly, why the surprise...? After all, the past couple of years have been a near-perfect run for Tomokazu Sugita, and he certainly ranks among the most popular male seiyuu right now. How could it be any surprise (at all) that he'd be picked to play a rôle like this, where so much prestige is involved on the part of the producers?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
amsuperb wrote:
How can I vote for this anime ???
Help me plzzzzz
Triple post? Whoa there.

Still, an amazing find, dormcat. What a puzzle!

And an amazing thread this it. Almost 60-pages, and no fansub debate, no lolicon debate, no Abortion debate, no annoying-thousand-worthless-comments-debate in sight!
SharinganEyes wrote:
spoiler[how that girl with glasses (sorry, can't remember her name) says that she's an alien, and how she's about to explain what's up with Haruhi.]
Prepare to be overwhelmed. And spoiler[I don't think Haruhi's from the future; more like, Mikuru]. Razz

I think that Nagato-ramblings (chronological eps 2-3) part is a parody of the infamous 25-26 episodes of NGE. The behavior, the angle, the texts! And they even do it better than the original! I was dying at that point.
Webki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
*EDIT*
Just looked at the 59th page, and I still see people using spoilers. Since I am far to lazy to correct my post, I am going to say that read on at your peril. I don't spoil the ending (I don't think), but I spoil some other awesome moments in the show. So, beware. *EDIT*

Alright, I got up to page 40, but I can't read the final 19 yet... Maybe tomorrow. I've already spent about five hours ambling through the first fourty.

Anyway, let me say this first: I pretty much watched the series finally because of all the apparent hype. I just recently finished downloading it, with the intent to bring it on my computer to college and eventually watch it there. Nice and slowly, and maybe enjoy it. Truthfully, I didn't think I would. spoiler[ All I had read of this post was when only episode 1 was out. It sounded like it was going to be about amateur film-making - something that didn't interest me.]

Needless to say, I decided to watch it a little early out of boredom. Boy, am I damn glad I did.

I ended up watching it in one run. I intended to watch about half of it yesterday, and then finish it today. However, it was so gripping, the series didn't allow for that. I ended up finishing it around 4:30a.m., very glad that I had stayed up and made myself ever so exhausted today just to watch the whole thing in one go.

When Episode 1 started, spoiler[ I was certainly apprehensive. However, as it started to go, I started really paying attention to Kyon's commentary, and I found myself in tears of laughter throughout the rest of the episode. The way Kyon would say something like (paraphrasing), "And now we move onto the next scene for no reason, where most of the development is lost and the fight seems to be forgotten." Hilarious. Though I still don't know whether the commentary was in his head during the screening, or whether he made this commentary during the filming and it was actually recorded, it was funny nonetheless.]

Episode 2 only made it better. spoiler[ Haruhi is a character you can't help but fall in love with. When she slammed Kyon's head back onto the desk, I, quite literally, fell of my bed laughing. I laughed so hard that I had to rewind it a bit before I could realize that she did it during class. This, of course, caused another outbreak of laughter, and I had to put in on pause for another 5 minutes.] This kind of stuff happened so much that I actually woke people up with my laughter, and was reprimanded a few times to shut "that g**d*** s*** off and go the f*** to sleep."

But I didn't.

spoiler[ The episode placement was one of the most unique things about this show. It was kind of feeding you information and entertainment, while teasing you with the main story. It kept you guessing, which because increasingly difficult as the time went into the wee hours of the morning. Not to mention all the references. I'm not sure if it was meant to be funny, but when Itsuki attacked with "FUMOFFU!" and "SECOND RAID!" I thought I was going to die.]

Now, I'm not going to go ahead and repeat what a ton of people have already said about the characters of this series, because they are absolutely awesome - deep and well fleshed-out. So, instead I will proceed to my last point, since I want to go study some of the things I've been saying I was going to do since I started reading this thread.

I'm not sure if it was just me, but I seemed to noticed that as the episodes grew in number, some of the comedy was taken out for a more dramatic plot. I am not complaining here; I personally loved how they did this. The shift in tone was definitely needed to execute the ending.

Speaking of endings, this was one of the few anime I can honestly say had a phenomenal ending. Most of the series I like have had OK endings at best, but the rest of the series is what makes them my favorites (let's not even get started on Gonzo). spoiler[Then incorporate the fact that this actually takes place in the middle of the series, chronologically speaking, and you have a "wow" factor that just astounds you, simultaneously boggling your mind.]

To sum this up, since I've already gone off on a slight spiel, I love this series. It immediately jumped and took the spot of my "guilty pleasure" that was Fate/Stay Night. The only other books I've brought because of anime have been the books for the Twelve Kingdoms. However, I have already located all the books on amazon.co.jp and I am contiplating buying them... though for some reason the shipping cost is deetering me.

Anyway, as a final word, I'm very glad I watched this in one go. It was so nice to watch it unfold episode after episode without pause. Truly a masterpiece.

[EDIT: I tried covering up some of the spoilers for you. -TK]
hikaru393

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
not sure if this has been answerd but is there going to be a 2nd season or an ova since this is one of the most populer anime in japan i heard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
not sure if this has been answerd but is there going to be a 2nd season or an ova since this is one of the most populer anime in japan i heard?

There have been rumors going around because of what Newtype wrote on the front of their September issue about it, but officially, there is currently no news as to whether there will be a sequel or not.

I can tell you that I would be surprised if they didn't make a sequel. Sometime after or around when thee Kanon remake comes out seems like a likely time to announce it. Right now, Kyoto Animation is focusing on that though.
Webki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
I was reading through the Wikipedia article on Haruhi, as I normally do when I finish an anime, and I encountered a little entry for Shamisen, the cat. However, it seems to me that the information there couldn't have possibly been derived from the anime. Check it out for yourselves, and tell me whether this is canon or not (probably a question for the book readers).

Wikipedia wrote:

Shamisen (シャミセン, ), (Seiyū - Kenichi Ogata)
A stray cat whom Kyon was forced to adopt by Haruhi. During the filming of The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina, Haruhi alters reality causing Shamisen to temporarily gain the ability to speak. Kyon's sister gives him the nickname, Shami, and spends the most time with him at home.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
Webki: I've read that too sometime ago, and that last point bothers me. Is the point actually made in the books (that Shami gains the ability to speak through Haruhi, temporarily, by her will, whatever -- and that Haruhi forced Kyon to adopt him), or is it just a random interpretation put into wiki just like that?

It's hilarious, though. There's even a Pokemon parody at the end of it.

"Meeowwww!!!"
Webki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:

It's hilarious, though. There's even a Pokemon parody at the end of it.

"Meeowwww!!!"

Ah ha! I knew I recognized that little spinning fly off from somewhere! Team Rocket! Oh, man, that's classic.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see the true story behind Shamisen myself, would be rather interesting if it goes how I think it would, then again this entire anime is interesting and never goes how you think it would Anime hyper.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 59 of 213