• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigger's Little Witch Academia 2 Meets Kickstarter Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Great, here's another chance for me to cut and paste my previous posts regarding anything Kickstarter.

Lol.

"Only" 28 Days left and 276k + (as of this post) has been pledged. A win for Trigger is a win for all fans. Worldwide. Yes, I just said all fans, even those who are against this sort of thing.

I hope this one sets a record for the amount raised in 30 days. If it does, I think it'd be fair to call it a catalytic marker event for future anime productions. It'll be something that we can look back on as an example of what seemed impossible, and was then made possible by those that dared to defy the seemingly impossible (<- Gainax anyone?). And, if it doesn't, hey at least it met its original goal in record time.

Having one more viable option for keeping the creative process alive can only mean good things for the animators and their fans. How that can be viewed as panhandling or some other cynical bs is just weird. It's actually something more akin to an even trade than anything else.

Do you have some special reason as to why you're against anything Kickstarter? If you do, I have yet to read it.

I'm for this Kickstarter because it gives me a chance, if only in a small way, but a way it still is, to participate and contribute directly to the process of seeing a project brought to life. It's just another part of being a fan of the stuff I love. Animation and Comics.

Surrender Artist wrote:
Why don't you....

Total waste of your time and energy there dude. Relax. It's just anime we're talking about here. You can't allow your buttons to get pushed like that. Not worth it. So not worth it. And yeah, he or she is still entitled to his opinion here and elsewhere.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
How is it panhandling when people are getting something for their money?

Surrender Artist described the basic process, however there is then a moral and ethical issue when it comes to established companies who have money, but decide they do not want to fund something themselves so they just throw a Kickstarter up and say "Hey, you guys pay for this, we don't want to despite being fully able to" which sadly I've seen people do. Imagine if EA said 'We could make new DLC for the new Call of Duty, but how about you guys fund it for us instead?" Even if people get something for their donation, is it still something that should have been done in the first place?

The eventual slippery slope with Kickstarter is it can also lead to incredibly masturbatory projects. Either with projects that would otherwise be doomed and crash in the market because there is no market for them, and indeed, the market might be better off without, can be given proverbial life support through the donations of a small minority, or in cases like this where some people are clamoring for a dub and want 'control' over how this project goes. What happens if Trigger has to start letting in the fans make decisions for them rather than just doing it themselves? What if they can no longer make the LWA they want and have to compromise with the fans who feel they have a stake in the project just because they threw twenty bucks at them? This isn't the first time I've seen this, I've seen so much stupid drama over letting fans decide and pick things and all the infighting that goes on between everyone.

Kickstarter is still a relatively new concept and there's been quite a few noticeable flops, scams, and questions to come out of it.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
AX event pics: http://www.acttil.com/littlewitchacademia/media_fanevent.html

Survey: https://www.facebook.com/st.trigger
- No, I prefer to have subtitles with original voice actors
- I wouldn't mind, but I would like to use the Kickstarter fund on other contents
- Just take $50 and make more Inferno Cop
- Yes, I would appreciate the episode dubbed in English and other languages
- Just insert Akko and Diana making out at the end of the episode
- Yes, but only if Morgan Freeman does all the voice acting and singing

lol @ Inferno Cop
Interestingly, the only dub option for those who are demanding it is to include other languages, and there are a total of 7 subtitle languages...

As for Akko x Diana, yes please Twisted Evil

@TitanXL this isn't a donation or charity, but patronage--how traditionally most of the arts were funded--and is another form of free market action. In fact it's no different than some publishers predicating something on the amount of preorders received. True Tears got a blu-ray release with extra animated content on the condition of getting at least 2,000 preorders. That is very much like Kickstarter.

The extent of fan involvement is simply the choice of the creator. Maybe it can work and maybe not. It worked wonderfully for something like Skull Girls DLC on Indiegogo, where most of the many goals were fixed, but they gave fans a set of choices in two characters

I think people should temper their enthusiasm for Kickstarter as a whole though since it does not and could not work for everything. About 41% of Kickstarter Projects Fail, but that itself is simply another market mechanism.

I mean it's exactly the same as voting with your wallet as done now, but simply shifts when people take money out of their wallet. It's not going to displace mainstream methods but provide another funding mechanism.
BL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
I am truly not trying to be a dub defender but the misrepresentation and the overreactions and false information that's going on it’s hard not to respond.

TitanXL wrote:
......given proverbial life support through the donations of a small minority, or in cases like this where some people are clamoring for a dub and want 'control' over how this project goes.......

Are you for real who is taking to take control? How is asking for the consideration of a stretch goal taking control? How is it any different from others who are asking for their own stretch goals? It was acknowledged a dub should come after the animation is complete so how is this trying to take control. Unfortunately, no one knows how much they need so all that's going on right now is just pure speculation. People are behaving as if dub fans wouldn't be contributing to the stretch goal; it's not as if they would be piggy backing free.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
BL wrote:
Are you for real who is taking to take control? How is asking for the consideration of a stretch goal taking control?

I'm not TitanXL, but to be fair, re-read Titan's comment, I don't think Titan was explicitly saying "dub fans are controlling jerks" so much as using THIS CASE as an example of how ANY kickstarter supporters try to influence the project. I think that opinion is also an overreaction, I look at kickstarter more like a less filtered pre-order system (and it seems like the big money KS projects function like that usually), but I'm just saying I don't think THAT comment was intended as an indictment on dub fans, and was instead a complaint about kickstarter.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Well just remember that Trigger asked backers for feedback. It's not as though people donated and then started kicking down doors demanding a dub.

At this rate I think it's clear there will be sufficient funds for a lot of nice things & a fine sequel.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Blood- wrote:
How is it panhandling when people are getting something for their money?

Surrender Artist described the basic process, however there is then a moral and ethical issue when it comes to established companies who have money, but decide they do not want to fund something themselves so they just throw a Kickstarter up and say "Hey, you guys pay for this, we don't want to despite being fully able to" which sadly I've seen people do. Imagine if EA said 'We could make new DLC for the new Call of Duty, but how about you guys fund it for us instead?" Even if people get something for their donation, is it still something that should have been done in the first place?

I do not see a moral or ethical issue here. Kickstarter is a glorified interest survey backed by people putting their money where there mouths are. The internet has shrunk the world, making markets vastly larger and more accessible. Any individual or company is under no ethical obligation to take any risk they can otherwise cleverly and lawfully avoid to achieve their goal: making money. By extension, no donor is paying for anything less than they choose to do.
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The eventual slippery slope with Kickstarter is it can also lead to incredibly masturbatory projects. Either with projects that would otherwise be doomed and crash in the market because there is no market for them, and indeed, the market might be better off without, can be given proverbial life support through the donations of a small minority, or in cases like this where some people are clamoring for a dub and want 'control' over how this project goes. What happens if Trigger has to start letting in the fans make decisions for them rather than just doing it themselves? What if they can no longer make the LWA they want and have to compromise with the fans who feel they have a stake in the project just because they threw twenty bucks at them? This isn't the first time I've seen this, I've seen so much stupid drama over letting fans decide and pick things and all the infighting that goes on between everyone.

There are some some issues with Kickstarter but it leading to "masturbatory" projects and fans making demands on the artist are pretty silly threats. You know what I did on projects I felt were self-serving (such as the recent Braff film)? I didn't back it. Lots more did and are going to get what they want. Both sides win. Is it really such a dangerous road to traverse that there might be these so-called "masturbatory projects?" The notion these very niche projects finding success is somehow going to be harmful to the overall market is ridiculous. In fact, it sounds a lot like the argument some anime fans make that "Moe is killing anime!" Judging from some of your posts I've seen in the past, I know this isn't something you'd agree with.

I've backed about 50 Kickstarters and I've had only a problem with 2 so far. And that was with the creator not completing his end or being disingenuous. I've NEVER seen fans making outrageous demands on the creator once they've backed. I've seen some "I'd back if..." suggestions, but none of this "I demand you draw me into your cartoon because I gave you $20!" paranoia. Yes, Kickstarter comes with risks. You're basically at the mercy of creator fulfilling his obligation and there is non-existent recourse. But this delusional fans' controlling projects theory? I'll believe it when I see it.
InBatistutem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
BL wrote:
People are behaving as if dub fans wouldn't be contributing to the stretch goal; it's not as if they would be piggy backing free.

Umm...

BL wrote:
It does not look like I will be pledging to this after all.

BL wrote:
jet_ wrote:
You don't want to give Trigger some of your money to make more LWA because there won't be a dub?

Yes

What in the world are you even complaining about? I don't know about other dub fans, but you most certainly won't (or aren't) contributing to anything whatsoever so spare us your self-entitled barking, please.
BL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
InBatistutem wrote:
BL wrote:
jet_ wrote:
You don't want to give Trigger some of your money to make more LWA because there won't be a dub?

Yes

Thank you for editing my post and leaving out my reason why.

InBatistutem wrote:
What in the world are you even complaining about?....

Nowhere I have I complained did I expressed my disappointment yes but I did not derail the thread. All my other posts have been in response to others the same way you responded to mine and I am responding to yours.

InBatistutem wrote:
.....you most certainly won't (or aren't) contributing to anything whatsoever.....

I would love to contribute but unfortunately, this project isn't for me and I have accepted it. However, if the project should in the future target me I will be happy to pledge.

InBatistutem wrote:
.....so spare us your self-entitled barking, please.

Please enlighten me how I am acting "self entitled"? As for the barking, I will do my best to keep it to a minimum but I cannot guarantee anything. Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Well just remember that Trigger asked backers for feedback. It's not as though people donated and then started kicking down doors demanding a dub.

At this rate I think it's clear there will be sufficient funds for a lot of nice things & a fine sequel.

Well, it's not like they said: "Tell us what you want, it's all up to you". It sounded like they already have their own plans but will take feedback into consideration. In any case, I was running the numbers using purely the labor rate for animation from Trigger's own estimation and quoted figures labor rate for English voice acting, and I am not so sure there would be enough to satisfy everyone (dub vs content/extra eps)

Judging by their rate of $150,000 for an extra 15 mins, that means an extra 5 mins of content would be $50,000. So let's assume they went ahead with 5 more mins to make a full LWA 3 episode (they already had LWA 2 funded; this was for the extra 15 mins)

So total cost so far: $200,000

Now dubs. The nominal rate for the labor alone via Shawne Kleckner and others is $10,000 per ep it's $30,000 so far per supported language, *not* including planning, overhead for contracting out to international studios, etc. Since there are international backers and from judging from their survey, they will include other languages. If they are dubbing all subbed languages that's $210,000. The total cost would then be $410,000 which is more than the current funding.

I've been tracking the kickstarter page and current rate of pledging is slowing down drastically. The pledges are still trickling in, but it's nowhere near the huge initial burst. They will very likely be able to reach $410,000 but I think it will be much further out. We'll need more days of sampling to determine how much the rate is slowing down. I've used Kicktraq but I don't think they compute the slope on a day to day basis for their projections. It may be running average slope or something like that.

To have a more complete series with fleshed out universe, let's say it takes 3 more episodes. That's an extra $600,000. So now total cost of content alone is $800,000.

Fulfilling an international dub for 6 episodes costs $600,000 at minimum. Not counting costs of planning, recruiting voice talent, basically fees for contracting out international dubs for French, Spanish, etc. So the total need for a half-cour show would be at least $1,400,000, not counting overhead. Let's say we throw in $20,000 studio overhead per language, that's an extra $120,000

I have serious doubts that they will be able to achieve BOTH demands for dubs and extra content--specifically extra episodes. Luckily their survey shows people are more reasonable in prioritizing content first
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I [think of] using THIS CASE as an example of how ANY kickstarter supporters try to influence the project.

Overreaction or not, would that really be such a problem? Put down your dollars to express interest and then adding your two cents to help move things further toward your specific interests. Sounds exactly like how companies form a production committee to pimp their latest singers, direct merchandising, facilitate product placement, or whatever other goals their organization pursues on a daily basis.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:

Well, it's not like they said: "Tell us what you want, it's all up to you". It sounded like they already have their own plans but will take feedback into consideration. In any case, I was running the numbers using purely the labor rate for animation from Trigger's own estimation and quoted figures labor rate for English voice acting, and I am not so sure there would be enough to satisfy everyone (dub vs content/extra eps)

Judging by their rate of $150,000 for an extra 15 mins, that means an extra 5 mins of content would be $50,000. So let's assume they went ahead with 5 more mins to make a full LWA 3 episode (they already had LWA 2 funded; this was for the extra 15 mins)

So total cost so far: $200,000

Now dubs. The nominal rate for the labor alone via Shawne Kleckner and others is $10,000 per ep it's $30,000 so far per supported language, *not* including planning, overhead for contracting out to international studios, etc. Since there are international backers and from judging from their survey, they will include other languages. If they are dubbing all subbed languages that's $210,000. The total cost would then be $410,000 which is more than the current funding.

I've been tracking the kickstarter page and current rate of pledging is slowing down drastically. The pledges are still trickling in, but it's nowhere near the huge initial burst. They will very likely be able to reach $410,000 but I think it will be much further out. We'll need more days of sampling to determine how much the rate is slowing down. I've used Kicktraq but I don't think they compute the slope on a day to day basis for their projections. It may be running average slope or something like that.

To have a more complete series with fleshed out universe, let's say it takes 3 more episodes. That's an extra $600,000. So now total cost of content alone is $800,000.

Fulfilling an international dub for 6 episodes costs $600,000 at minimum. Not counting costs of planning, recruiting voice talent, basically fees for contracting out international dubs for French, Spanish, etc. So the total need for a half-cour show would be at least $1,400,000, not counting overhead. Let's say we throw in $20,000 studio overhead per language, that's an extra $120,000

I have serious doubts that they will be able to achieve BOTH demands for dubs and extra content--specifically extra episodes. Luckily their survey shows people are more reasonable in prioritizing content first

Your numbers are way off. Time of Eve was only going to cost $35k to dub and thats an entire movie from a quite popular studio(for anime anyway).

I don't think its a good idea to dub it because the kickstarter was about extending the anime and I think its unfair to a lot of backers who don't have English as a primary language.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
$336,740

still 27 days to go.

This is insane.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
SwerveCity wrote:
Your numbers are way off. Time of Eve was only going to cost $35k to dub and thats an entire movie from a quite popular studio(for anime anyway).

It was $50k+:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/693293489/time-of-eve-the-movie-on-blu-ray
Quote:
STRETCH GOAL: $50,000 English DUB! See update #2!

We love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/693293489/time-of-eve-the-movie-on-blu-ray/posts/514240
Quote:
But we were looking at $50K+ out of pocket to produce the dub and Blu-ray. It was just too much risk for a small studio like Directions. So we shelved our dream.

At 100 mins for the movie, that works out to the industry rate I mentioned of about $10,000 per 20 mins.

Quote:
I don't think its a good idea to dub it because the kickstarter was about extending the anime and I think its unfair to a lot of backers who don't have English as a primary language.

Agreed, but Trigger did mention that IF they were to do a dub, they would include other languages, not just English, hence my numbers above and concerns about cost that could otherwise be used for content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8