• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Doki Doki School Hours- couple of questions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KirbyStamped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
First off, how many episodes are there exactly in Doki Doki School Hours? I mean, the Encyclopedia on this site says that there are 13 episodes, and wikipedia doesn't really have a listing of the episodes (sorry, but those are the only two sites I know of that might have that sort of info: any other site you guys could provide for future reference would be much appreciated =P). However, there are definately more than that, as I just rented the 4th DVD and it goes up to episode 16. There's also another DVD out that goes up to 20. So how many eps are there?

Second question isn't really about the series itself but does relate to it. I really enjoy the show. Not a masterpiece, granted, but it's a good way to rewind after work/school. Any other series out there like it outside of Azumanga Daioh (which I've seen before and love to death)?

Much appreciated.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
KirbyStamped wrote:
First off, how many episodes are there exactly in Doki Doki School Hours? I mean, the Encyclopedia on this site says that there are 13 episodes.

Fixed. Kind of. Only 13 episodes titles were listed. The series is 20 epsiodes long as said on the official website.
KirbyStamped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series is 20 epsiodes long as said on the official website.

Ah poopy, completely forgot to check there >_>. I'll keep that in mind next time I have this sort of question =P.

Alright, so anyone else out there got any suggestions for another slice-of-life comedy?
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, closest thing to Azumanga I have ever seen is Ichigo Mashimaro, and it rocks so I'd advise you to check it out. It has a similar style of underscored humor and cute/funny characters.

Also Ouran Host Club, still ongoing, but very good. School setting (kinda) and a lot of funny but relatively ordinary adventures with a large cast of endearing characters.

(As an aside, I have to say I loathed Doki Doki and found it to be the most soul-crushingly unfunny "comedy" I had ever seen, but I do think you'll like the two above shows since you liked Azu ^^)
KirbyStamped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Hmm, closest thing to Azumanga I have ever seen is Ichigo Mashimaro, and it rocks so I'd advise you to check it out. It has a similar style of underscored humor and cute/funny characters.

Also Ouran Host Club, still ongoing, but very good. School setting (kinda) and a lot of funny but relatively ordinary adventures with a large cast of endearing characters.

(As an aside, I have to say I loathed Doki Doki and found it to be the most soul-crushingly unfunny "comedy" I had ever seen, but I do think you'll like the two above shows since you liked Azu ^^)

Heh, well, I'm actually in the middle of Ouran right now =P. I'm mostly up to date, though I haven't seen 18, 19, or 20 yet. And you're right, I love it Wink.

As for Ichigo Mashimaro, that's Strawberry Marshmellow in the States, right? Might have to check that out.

For further reference, these are the slice-of-life/high school comedies I've seen or am in the process of seeing:

Fruits Basket
Azumanga Daioh
Genshiken
Ouran High School Host Club
Honey & Clover
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (though I'm not sure if it really qualifies as one... then again, I'm not really sure what else to qualify it as)

Still, the help's much appreciated!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:

Perhaps I'll end up regreting that I asked, but why did you dislike Doki Doki School Hours so much?

Also, should episodes 14-20 really be considered part of the first series or should they be considered a second season? Or even a bonus series?

IIRC, didn't they only show the first 13 on TV? If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Perhaps I'll end up regreting that I asked, but why did you dislike Doki Doki School Hours so much?

Well, I'd say it was because they used the same weak gags over and over again. OMG gay guy! OMG girl crush on teacher! OMG otaku! Not to mention that the teacher herself annoyed me inmensely as she not only looked like she was 10 but acted like it kiling the whole premise. Add to that the pretty crappy style and budget animation and the whole story that goes absolutely nowhere and you get something that wants to be Azumanga but never gets good enough even to lick Azu's boots.

Not cute, not funny, no story = fail
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma, you and I have vastly different opinions about this show. I won't try to argue with you about it's merits though. I was just curious why you didn't like it and you explained very clearly. "Soul-crushingly unfunny" might be a little too harsh though.

Doki Doki is a silly show which, if you don't like the characters and the running gags, you certainly would end up hating. Personally, I really enjoyed it. For me, the repetive nature was actually a plus since I did find the gags funny and I adored Mika-sensei.

Several of the characters reminded me of people I went to school with too if you can believe that.

I haven't seen Azumanga Daioh so maybe that has something to do with my liking Doki Doki School Hours.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, maybe I was a bit too harsh ^^

Quote:
I haven't seen Azumanga Daioh so maybe that has something to do with my liking Doki Doki School Hours.

Now this I gota comment on, please, please do yourself a favor and watch Azumanga. If you found Doki Doki palatable you will absolutely adore this. Anime comedy at its finest, hence why it so often brought up for comparison. (And Doki Doki actually copied some of Azu's characters quite blatantly as well)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Now this I gota comment on, please, please do yourself a favor and watch Azumanga. If you found Doki Doki palatable you will absolutely adore this. Anime comedy at its finest, hence why it so often brought up for comparison. (And Doki Doki actually copied some of Azu's characters quite blatantly as well)

It's on my list, don't worry. Wink

Once my wallet recovers from my recent anime binge (LE Inuyasha first season, Please Teacher! complete collection and Kodocha volumes 7 & 8 with Babbit Box 2) there are several series I'm planning to get.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Also, should episodes 14-20 really be considered part of the first series or should they be considered a second season? Or even a bonus series?

IIRC, didn't they only show the first 13 on TV? If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Actually, I had to do some research on this. Yes, the first 13 episodes were originally shown on TV. I don't know if the next 7 episodes were an omake or something else. I think I've found where it explains what they are... but it's in Japanese. I don't have the best translating skills so if someone were able to translate this paragraph we'd probably get an answer as to what exactly the last 7 episodes were:

Japanese Wikipedia wrote:
またメディアミックス展開をしており、旧ラジオたんぱの番組「南央美のせんせいのお時間」の枠内で放送されていた、前述の4コマ漫画を原作とするラジオドラマのタイトルでもあり、2004年4月4日より6月27日までテレビ東京で放送されたテレビアニメのタイトルでもある。またアニメ版DVDには、テレビアニメとして地上波で放映された話とは別に、オリジナル色の強い続編『せんせいのお時間 ご~るど』(通称「ご~るど版」)が1巻につき1話収録された(全7話)。

I think it's a sequel or something by the name of "せんせいのお時間 ご~るど"... not sure though.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Doki Doki technically can't be a rip-off of AzuDai, since although the anime was created post-Azumanga, the manga was made years before it. Don't quote me on this, but I think aside from both of them being four-panel comics they also ran in the same magazine, hence the many similarities.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
(And Doki Doki actually copied some of Azu's characters quite blatantly as well)

Guess Wolverine Princess's comment makes that the opposite now.

Personally, I like both of them about the same (maybe Azumanga slightly more). But I haven't finished Doki Doki yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1