• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Microsoft: Xbox One Will Not Restrict Used Games, Regions, Offline Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yeah probably.

But yeah I heard about the rape joke, but I must have missed it because I kind of ignored KI.

Just sounds like awkward and fake smack talk. Yes, I understand how it sounds like rape, but I really doubt that was the intention. People just reading too much into it.

I really hope you bringing it up was a joke and not a serious problem you had.

Yes its a legit problem I had. It was also just one in a long string of unforced errors by Microsoft.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yeah probably.

But yeah I heard about the rape joke, but I must have missed it because I kind of ignored KI.

Just sounds like awkward and fake smack talk. Yes, I understand how it sounds like rape, but I really doubt that was the intention. People just reading too much into it.

I really hope you bringing it up was a joke and not a serious problem you had.

The joke or performance was really distasteful overall and shouldn't have happened in the first place. As a hard core fan of KI this ticks me off to end, you can watch the said presentation below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75YQHFnyKY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
But anyway, this is pointless. I don't see whats so magical about what Sony showed other than price and something that's not relevant anymore. And I'm not going to.

As was mentioned before:
- $100 is not small beans
- the difference in hardware is also not small beans
- no Kinect requirement, a potential security risk
- Indie games. I predict this will be a much bigger market than it currently is for any of the current consoles, because it is much easier to develop for PS4, being essentially a PC. (Sony specifically cited ease of development and having a PC environment as factor for their engineering direction) Sony already showcased a few western Indie titles, but I'm personally looking to the Japanese and similarly styled western games, since console use for me means platform games, fighting games and RPGs. (FPS are better suited with mouse + keyboard IMO) Like how Skull Girls did, I can see crowdfunding being used for some self-published PS4 games and/or their DLC
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
But anyway, this is pointless. I don't see whats so magical about what Sony showed other than price and something that's not relevant anymore. And I'm not going to.

Microsoft is weak. Their so called "vision" got broken down to easily with mere pre-order numbers. They had no balls to try and actually implement their "vision". When people started complaining, they had their tail between their legs and quickly changed everything bad. Also, the fact that they simply reverted all these features back so fast means that they lied to their consumers when they stated that the XBONE was developed this way. Thats horse shit, it was all them hoping for greater profits, and in the end, they were not even able to stick to their guns---quite pathetic
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes, so pathetic that they gave into their consumers.

Almost as pathetic as basically ignoring one of your platforms during your big show. The one thats falling and needs signs of actual support. I wonder what company did that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yes, so pathetic that they gave into their consumers.

Almost as pathetic as basically ignoring one of your platforms during your big show. The one thats falling and needs signs of actual support. I wonder what company did that?

Microsoft doesn't even have a handled lmao

Also here is a screenshot for the pre-orders at amazon

http://www.theconsolewars.net/images/ps4-vs-xbox-one.jpg
Alpha2Omega2Infinity
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
All this arguing is pointless now. With the DRM restrictions removed, the two consoles are basically identical.

They have nearly identical gaming capabilities.
They both now have the same DRM policies.
With exclusives dying out, they will have the same games.
Both systems now have a premium online service.

The only difference is that with XB1 you pay 100$ for features designed for the home entertainment aspect of the console. With both consoles being so similar, sales will basically come down to fan loyalty.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Sony does, it's called the Vita. No surprise you haven't heard of it.

Oh and yes Amazon pre-orders mean so much. Especially from a dumb site called console wars.

And I'm not sure what sales have to do with the quailty of the lineup. Those pre-orders probably were'nt driven by PS4's games thats for sure.

But hey I guess Xbox one jumped back if you want to use this crappy logic.
http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=vg_homepage_quicklinks_bestsellers?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-leftnav&pf_rd_r=2055486CC3FE4123AD10&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1567748922&pf_rd_i=468642

ITS 1!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Oh and yes Amazon pre-orders mean so much. Especially from a dumb site called console wars.

And I'm not sure what sales have to do with the quailty of the lineup. Those pre-orders probably were'nt driven by PS4's games thats for sure.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=vg_homepage_quicklinks_bestsellers?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-leftnav&pf_rd_r=2055486CC3FE4123AD10&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1567748922&pf_rd_i=468642

ITS 1!

The Xbox one requires the kinetic to work at all times, that is still a no sale for me end of discussion. I do not like motion controls on that level, nor do I like waving my hands, yelling at my t.v. like a dumb-ass to get it on or off.

Give me a controller that will play all games games, take away the sh*** motion capture camera requirement then I might get one. Also for an all in one console it's funny that none of your previous digital content, dlc, saves, old controllers, head-sets and xbox 360 games will work on the device. Don't get me wrong I've got the same issues with the ps4 so no bias here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And most of the E3 articles went like this. "Man MS showed a bunch of games, but Sony won because no drm". It's not about the games though. The drm is gone now.

If people want to talk DRM, the first word out of their mouth should be "Sony".

I heard they opened E3 with "Thank you. Thank you for the warm welcome. Over the years, we've installed malicious malware on our customer's computer. We've taken away the Other OS feature from people who spent $700 on our console. We also helped write draconian copyright bills, and through our partners MPAA and RIAA, we got them turned into law. Yet, despite every attempt to screw you over, you still love us."

If the six pages in this discussion has taught me anything, it's that people have no idea what DRM is.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

ITS 1!

Learn how to read or get your eyes checked. We were talking how Microsoft doesnt even have a handled and your saying that "sony has a handheld"? Well no shit sherlock.

And yeah, pre-orders mean a lot lmfao!! It were the pre-order numbers that scared Microsoft and made them recall their "vision" of the XBONE and turning it into a newer 360. Microsoft looks weak by doing that, they don't have the balls to stick with their original plan! Its pathetic
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Learn how to read or get your eyes checked. We were talking how Microsoft doesnt even have a handled and your saying that "sony has a handheld"? Well no shit sherlock.
Actually the only one who needs to learn how to read is you, or at least follow an argument.
Let me break it down for you friend:

You said it was pathetic and weak of MS to backaway from it's plans. All the while you've been praising Sony for it's incredible actions as if they are somehow a better company.

I say, I'm not sure how giving into consumers is pathetic, which is basically what we are praising Sony for by the way. And I also throw in a jab about how Sony has handled their Vita, in that they haven't.

You I guess for some reason miss that I'm talking about the Vita.

I reply in a joking way that I was talking about the Vita and that you haven;t heard about it because it's handled terribly by Sony.

You seemed to miss that point and say I can't read.

Quote:
And yeah, pre-orders mean a lot lmfao!!
Um, you're source is a website called "the console wars". Do I have to tell you how dumb that it is?

Do I also have to tell you how small and pointless it is to just go by Amazon, the place that will list say Persona 4 as it's best selling game when it comes out? No becuase any actual person knows that going by Amazon sales top ten dosen't mean anything. It's one website(yes a big one), but that info means crap.

Quote:
It were the pre-order numbers that scared Microsoft and made them recall their "vision" of the XBONE and turning it into a newer 360.
Newer 360? And the PS4 is some sort of magical thing beyond a PS4? It's no wonder you visit a webiste called the console war. You're a stupid fanboy. Yeah they probably did recall their plans because of the post-E3 response. Why you paint this as a bad thing, I'm not sure. Why were talking about sales and whatnot when the talk was about who's delivering a better product/games I don't know. The 360 outsells the PS3 here. I guess that means the 360 is better right? If you want to go down this argument path, admit that right now.

Quote:
Microsoft looks weak by doing that, they don't have the balls to stick with their original plan! Its pathetic
So they don't look like they listened to their consumers? Which is what they did. No they look stupid more then anything.

Quote:
The Xbox one requires the kinetic to work at all times, that is still a no sale for me end of discussion. I do not like motion controls on that level, nor do I like waving my hands, yelling at my t.v. like a dumb-ass to get it on or off.
It requires it for UI things, but I very much doubt its the only way to use those. But it's funny you all talk about kinect, but fail to actually realize that none of the games they presented at their conference used it at all. So what's the problem?

Oh ok, you're paying for it and I guess you don't like it(without trying it). I mean who's to say what the hell you will actually think when and if you use it. Who's to say there won't be an actual good game that makes use of it? You can;t say which way on any of things, but at least by making sure everyone has a kinect, everyone's on the same level. So actual developers shouldn't feel at all worried about using it in a meaningful way. You won't get that with the move.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Taking in all aspects these past weeks, this console generation is Sony's win within foreseeable future.
And sorry Rahxephon91, but no matter how you twist it in post after post, in any way form or otherwise, reality won't change just because you say it will.

But I guess it would be the same as arguing with a stone, so I will just go over a few points in your post.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
You I guess for some reason miss that I'm talking about the Vita.

Why are we talking about Vita? Yes, Sony could have handled some aspects better with it, but does MS have a handheld console? Well, they have Windows Phone, but I wouldn't say that has faired that well...

Quote:
So they don't look like they listened to their consumers? Which is what they did. No they look stupid more then anything.

More like listening to their own bottom lines after pre-order figures were presented.

Quote:
It requires it for UI things, but I very much doubt its the only way to use those. But it's funny you all talk about kinect, but fail to actually realize that none of the games they presented at their conference used it at all. So what's the problem?

If none of the games require it, what's the point making it mandatory part of system in the first place? Not to mention the privacy issues.

Quote:
Who's to say there won't be an actual good game that makes use of it?

Then buy it when you come across such a game you want to play. The cost isn't disappearing anywhere whether getting it with the console or buying it with the game. And you could still use it for any subsequent games that need it. But at least with the latter I have a choice.

Quote:
So actual developers shouldn't feel at all worried about using it in a meaningful way. You won't get that with the move.

Proof? If it's an official PS4 peripheral, there shouldn't be any issues getting it with games that need it. And other games would have no use for it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Hah, probably the game publishers pressured Microsoft that the game sales they'll lose from used/traded games will be greater outweighed by the sales they'll lose when people don't buy their DRM games in the first place!

Xbox at least are getting some of their 360 customers back and those on the fence - they already have their accounts, history, and points setup there. The rest remains to be figured out. There's still the matter whether Kinect 2.0 is worth the $100 extra price (the possible big-brother issue is mainly the cherry on top of the huge pile of DRM mess, but without the DRM mess, it just becomes a niggling issue, as most already know their government is watching them regardless, plus now XB1 can be kept offline).

And XB1 is also trying to appeal to those who don't game much and looking rather for a smart-TV capability since that's what the HDMI input and Kinect give them (I've already met those people - they want something like those expensive Samsung smart-TVs but they don't want to buy another TV but instead turn their existing TVs into smart-TVs that they could talk and gesture to) and those PC users since the XB1 OS would be closer to the PC in terms of UI, multitasking features, and probably apps (Microsoft is an OS company - if an app could run on Win8 and WP8.1, it could probably run on XB1).

Still though, they should keep the family access feature or at least put it back in somehow in the future (it gives up to 10 members of your "family" the ability to play your games you choose to share anytime, anywhere, even if they didn't buy the game and they're 1000 miles away without the game disc). As ya can see, having the game disc requirement kinda scuttles that, and how are you and a family member be able to play the game at the same time.............

At least hopefully all disc-based XB1 games will also still be available digital on release day............

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Taking in all aspects these past weeks, this console generation is Sony's win within foreseeable future.
I don't care who wins. Unlike the rest of you, it makes no difference to me. I will buy every system, because I only care about the games and my point originally was, Xbone showed better games than the PS4. The fact that this has turned into a sales talk, is beyond where we were at the beginning.

What reality am I trying to change? The one were xbox showed better games? Because it sure is'nt me trying to paint the xbox as some winner in a war that's stupid and I couldn't care less about.

Because for all your dude's talk about PS4, it's never about the games. Which is quite telling.

Quote:
Why are we talking about Vita? Yes, Sony could have handled some aspects better with it, but does MS have a handheld console? Well, they have Windows Phone, but I wouldn't say that has faired that well...
I'm not sure whats hard to get. Dude was talking about how bad MS is, I made a dig at Sony for their incompetence with the Vita. That's all.

Quote:
More like listening to their own bottom lines after pre-order figures were presented.
And you don't think that's what Sony did? I hate to tell you people, Sony's always flirted with DRM, from even the PS3 days there was always talk of Sony doing it. Didn't they have a patent for it? Sony is not your buddy. There was even talk from them about doing the same. I mean they were pretty hestitent to talk about drm after they announced the PS4, always being vague about it. I wonder why? The difference probably is they didn't go first. They saw the fallback MS got and decided to capitalize on it. Sony is a corporation just like MS. Hell Sony even took part in the whole Online pass thing this gen. You know who did'nt? MS.

Hell Sony's the one that's taken features from you.

Quote:
If none of the games require it, what's the point making it mandatory part of system in the first place? Not to mention the privacy issues.
None of the games shown made use of it, not no game on the system requires it. I'm not sure if the Harmonix Disney game does, but it sure looks like it makes good use of it.

And the privacy issue is made up. Not only have their engineers stated that it's always on in a way that it can hear you when you tell it to turn on, which you know makes since. If you can find me some sort of license agreement where in any words it says "it's spying on you and is giving out information" this just sounds like people projecting misinformation.

Quote:
Then buy it when you come across such a game you want to play. The cost isn't disappearing anywhere whether getting it with the console or buying it with the game. And you could still use it for any subsequent games that need it. But at least with the latter I have a choice.
It not being included from the start, lesson's developer's motivations to use it. Anyone who knows anything about add-ons on game consoles knows this. Much higher chance of a developer being allowed to make a big budget/risky kinect game when you lessen the risk. Which is lessened because for every xbone sold mean all these people already have the kinect. It's much easier to allow that kinect game to be made or feature to be included when you look at the sales numbers and see that everyone who has the xbox, has the kinect.

Quote:
Proof? If it's an official PS4 peripheral, there shouldn't be any issues getting it with games that need it. And other games would have no use for it
Proof? You want proof? Look at the history of consoles. Look at the move on PS3 as it is! It's hardly supported and when it is, it's an afterthought. "oh you can aim with it, but we really didn't do much else with it". There's a few Move focused games out there and that's because the move didn't sell that great. it's basically a dead thing. The 32X. The N64 expansion pack. The Playsation eye. Motion Plus. None of these things were widely supported on the platfourm because they weren't there from the start. They got a few games(mostly when they first came out), but after that that's really it. Kinect won't have that problem. Every developer who makes a game for the Xbone, will know that all those people have a kinect and they can go from there. PS4 move dosen't have that. If thats a good thing to you, I don't know. I don't care. I don't care about kinect, but I'm open to the idea of a kinect game. And if one were to come out that looks good, I don't have to buy the thing. And there's a better chance of that happening on xbone.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8