• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Novel Gazing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Can I ask for spoilers here or for PM? I haven't meet anyone who had an occasion to see what happened. Razz

I haven't read all the books, just Japanese spoilers for when I translated the subtitles for the Sentai release.
I figured it might have been important to know the later story for the translation of the anime, but it was not in fact particularly important at all.
I suspect that even the author only had a vague concept of where the story was going while writing the first few of the novels.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
And when it comes to US licensors attempting anything with a Japanese property via Kickstarter, hoo boy. There's not a lot of good history there. For one thing, most Japanese companies hate it when any information about specifically how much it costs to license a property gets leaked. Now, how the hell can you start a successful Kickstarter or Indiegogo or whatever if you can't divulge specifically how much money you need, so that the Japanese license holders don't get mad? 'Tis a quandary!
It seems to me the obvious way would be to leave the licensing fee out of the Kickstarter and just go for the amount required for production - granted, this works better with the dormant licenses currently lying around than with new one, but if it works it's a start.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
With Kickstarter, I think its also a pride thing. When it comes down to it, Kickstarter is basically begging people for money... and pride is a big part of Japanese culture, so they don't want to lower themselves to that level.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a very large interest in Visual Novels. I don't really have the attention span to stick to them but I still love them. A lot of the good ones are 18+ though, I mean that doesn't phase me, if I want to play it I'll play it. But I'd happily trade the irrelevant sex scenes for the ability to play in public like on a long train trip or during break times at school. (and some of the scenes are ridiculous and laughable. I mean anyone who has played Shuffle will probably laugh when I mention the choice you get to make mid-H-scene)

Among the titles I have played that I can think of-
Shuffle
Ef -The first tale-
Da Capo
Higurashi
Chaos;Head (Absolutely fantastic, I'd kill for an official translation)

I think the only one I finished was Shuffle but it wasn't that long. Not that I dislike them, it's just I have a short attention span when it comes to these things (and I am not good with processing the words that I read that well sometimes). I mean if we got an official and physical release of a title I really wanted to try (Saya no Uta I have already tried on a DS Visual Novel emulator and I plan to purchase and School Days HQ I plan to buy because I love me some dark endings) then I'd try my best to play through the whole thing.
I went through Da Capo pretty well, I stayed up one evening from around 10-11pm and kept playing until I went to get a drink and realised it was 5am.

My only issue is the occasional release we DO get are iOS releases.
I don't have an apple device, nor do I want one, nor would I even play a visual novel on it.
You'd think it'd be cheaper and more profitable to release it for PC and Mac rather than a phone... (I suppose PC and Mac have more piracy, but I know more people who "jailbreak" their iphone and ipod/pads than people who don't. And it's not like those lucky few releases are very cheap)

EDIT:
On the discussion of Light Novels though:
I can keep my attention on a novel that I am physically holding for long enough if the volumes are around... I'm estimating 200-300ish pages (I can read multiple volumes, I just for some reason cannot read something if it's too thick. I gave up on the Narnia chronicles as a kid because the omnibus was too overwhelming. If it's broken up I have no problem).
I also think with a good advertising campaign light novels can easily go big in the west. More specifically more western-friendly titles like Baccano and Spice and Wolf (no Japanese names, less cultural references etc). Seriously, pop one of those titles in a school library with a big poster and some word of mouth and you already have a whole batch of readers. Raise the cash for a bit of publicity for the first volume and then just go from there. Don't westernise the cover too much so the anime fans aren't isolated, and just don't try and sell the anime with it or pair them together until a few volumes in so it's not considered an "anime book".
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
With Kickstarter, I think its also a pride thing. When it comes down to it, Kickstarter is basically begging people for money... and pride is a big part of Japanese culture, so they don't want to lower themselves to that level.

Welllll, I wouldn't really call Kickstarter begging. When you give money to a beggar, you don't expect something back in return. Most of the Kickstarter projects I've seen are generally more like pre-order drives --- they try to meet a certain funding goal so that they can guarantee a production run of product (lowering the cost per unit) , which they then distribute to the project funders. It's kind of like a temporary store, where the customer waits to see if their purchase will go through, and the owner doesn't have to risk incorrectly reading market demand.

Though I'd agree with you on the pride issue. Kickstarter projects are started because the creators aren't really sure if a production run will completely sell. They run the risk of not getting fully funded and publicly revealing a general lack of interest in their product, which can be embarrassing and look bad for a company.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys!

Just sent in an answer for next week's question. Hope I can give a little insight on light novels and visual novels!

I actually enjoy knowing what's going to happen so I can understand a character's actions in advance. I know I'm an enigma, but uh, I really do. Like I'm playing Tales of the Abyss, I already know what's going to happen, but it somehow makes it more enjoyable, as I can scan all of the characters and how they might be hiding something in the most subtle way.

Now, as Ar Tonelico's Tillia would say... Ciao!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of light novels, but not the execution in a lot of cases. I'm a fan of written SF first and foremost. I want likable characters, yes, but I also want adventure with a strong storyline, at least some attention to the laws of physics if we're in space, and characters who behave (and maybe even dress) like real human beings believably would. By-the-numbers high school/harem stuff where they just throw a bunch of girls at you to see what happens doesn't interest me, and I do not want to see manga shorthand (pratfalls, sweatdrops, giant veins, etc) in prose.

Above all, no lazy-butt dialog that consists of long strings of dots.

That said, I've enjoyed some light novels. The Record of Lodoss War books are good fun, as are the Crusher Joe books and the Michiko Yokote Patlabor novels. There's even a Nadesico novel that covers a big chunk of what happens between the end of the TV series and the start of the movie.

But all those are considered old now, so I think there's a generation gap at work, too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:

Ditto for the big internet shit-flip spoiler on this season's Game of Thrones. I hadn't read the books, but I knew what was coming so my suspense level was through the roof for that entire episode. After all, just because you know something is going to happen doesn't mean you know how it's going to happen, how it's going to look or feel.

Y'know, they could actually try making anime out of Game of Thrones. There's enough otaku tropes in there like children twincest, complicated relationship trees, based on an already-made script of a novel series with its own universe and language, and mess of a clusterf*ck like that episode, all to intrigue the counterculture minds......... Laughing

CM1artist wrote:

Actually, I think light novels could really have a great market because they are books, and even if people don't like anime, they could see the book and want to read it. All light novels would need is really good marketing to reach out to non-anime fans if they put the effort and money into translating and printing.

S'why they tweaked the covers for Spice and Wolf.
Though in general it may be hard for them to imagine all the young girls big boobs or in varied states of undress at one point or another, albeit Fifty Shades having shown a way. Laughing
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
that episode

OT: Haven't seen the show, but would it be safe to assume they've gotten to the spoiler[Red Wedding]?

As slow as the books come out, though, I'm just wondering what they plan to do when they catch up. Hire away some Naruto staff to write filler?
streexanime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
I can understand people being excited about their show airing and tweet real time. I do my best not to follow those people on Tumblr and Twitter. Tumblr has a nice 3rd party add-on (that doesn't always like to work with updates...) which collapses posts with tags you don't want to view. TBH, in my opinion the worst offender I have encountered is the Korra/ATLAB fandoms. I do get it people were excited, and reblog and retweet every thing and anything.

I believe the amount time should be 1 week from the airing of the episode and 1 month if it was a movie in theaters. I have run into the occasional "ur a f*g for not watching (pirated) livestream! u can't complain argh" And that was a mere few hours after the episode aired.

Spoilers are unavoidable but I always expect a bit of tact from people. Maybe too high of a standard to hold the Internet to. I know I couldn't avoid spoilers for older properties, such as when I was marathoning Star Trek: TNG.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
Same deal with recap episodes. As my source put it bluntly, "If you see one recap episode you can probably bet that there's chaos behind the scenes; if there's two you can bet it's probably bedlam."

Considering the whole entire handful of recap episodes, what word would you possibly use to describe the chaos behind His and Her Circumstances?

Hah! That was particularly bad. Even the episodes that were not entirely recaps got progressively worse: the recap preview at the beginning kept growing longer, and the material grew with more random, nonsensical filler.

But we did find out what happened behind the scenes though. If I recall it blew up about halfway along the production: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kare_Kano
Quote:
The anime was cut short because of creative differences; the author was upset and refused to allow another season because she believed Gainax was focusing too much on the comedy and not enough on the romance.[1] The difference in style after director Hideaki Anno quit following this decision is particularly noticeable.

Strangely enough, I never read the Wiki page on Kare Kano, even though I read the entire manga and watched the anime. I usually check out Wiki pages... I'm glad there is a reason that the anime went off the rails the way it did. I'll have to admit that it was what came to mind when Brian mentioned recap episodes and chaos. I wondered just how bad it had to be to end up with recap after recap after recap like that!

Now I'm worried about Chihayafuru after the recap fest earlier this season. Though they did a recap between halves of the first season too... It's really the recap openings that get longer and the "mental celebration" recap after the team tournament that were excessive.

As for light novels, I love them! I am an avid reader and I love to read light novels. I love Yen Press for doing Spice and Wolf and the Haruhi series. I was pleased to see that they have officially picked up Spice and Wolf volume 10. I hold my breath every time a new one is released, hoping that they are going to continue the series and not drop it.

At least Haruhi is safe, with ISBN numbers and publication dates for all books in print... Tomorrow is a release day, actually! Smile

I have frequently wondered if a Kickstarter campaign would work for light novels, realizing the biggest problem would be on the licensing end. I've seen them work for manga, Math Girls in particular, but I get the feeling that title is kind of similar to Time of Eve in terms of the amount of control the author has over his work. I supported both and would support any light novel campaign, especially one like Red Data Girl, though that author already has a couple of translated novels by Viz Media and the original works weren't really light novels, but mainstream fantasy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
that episode

OT: Haven't seen the show, but would it be safe to assume they've gotten to the spoiler[Red Wedding]?

You could safely assume that. Smile

vanfanel wrote:

As slow as the books come out, though, I'm just wondering what they plan to do when they catch up. Hire away some Naruto staff to write filler?

It's HBO - they'll probably wait.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

S'why they tweaked the covers for Spice and Wolf.
Though in general it may be hard for them to imagine all the young girls big boobs or in varied states of undress at one point or another, albeit Fifty Shades having shown a way. Laughing
To be fair they only tweaked volumes 1 and 2, and strangely just vol. 6, (or at least that's how they were sent to me ) and besides those tweaks were easily removable book covers with the original cover underneath. The book covers looked more risqué than the original, or maybe that was the point, to try and sell to an older readership?
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
They had them for V.3-5 also. They stopped with the tweaked covers at V.6 and newer copies of those volumes don't have them.
CM1artist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
To be fair they only tweaked volumes 1 and 2, and strangely just vol. 6, (or at least that's how they were sent to me ) and besides those tweaks were easily removable book covers with the original cover underneath. The book covers looked more risqué than the original, or maybe that was the point, to try and sell to an older readership?

It was probably to not advertise it as something that has had an anime made based on it. Because, sadly, most people that I've met in America don't understand anime or "look down" upon it, so, taking the very manga-artwork style cover and putting a new cover that is much more realistic only makes sense to do in the American market.
But, I guess they stopped doing it because it didn't do well even with the very well planned marketing strategy.

Honestly, using that type of marketing strategy is very intelligent, and it might work for other light novels.
Plus, they would have to get into the Kindle digital book sales to really make an attempt at becoming popular not just among anime and manga fans.

I think that the "Fate/Zero" light novel series could do well in the America right now because of the current popularity of books like "Game of Thrones". Plus, it could have very appealing cover artwork made for the US market to differentiate it from the recently released anime series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4