• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Once again dtm42 is SUPER MAD that a show isn't doing things in precisely the manner he approves of.

Hey, let's just be thankful this show doesn't feature zero gravity combined with miniskirts.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Lazy defenders who were drunk on the job and didn't see the giant titan approach makes far more sense than the giant titan being zapped into existence right next to (but not inside) the wall.

That makes a lot less sense, honestly. They made it very, very clear that the Titan materialized out of nowhere. It is reasonable to expect this to get explained eventually and absurd to require an explanation immediately, especially when the show made it very clear that the humans know very little about the titans.

It's much, much harder to believe that titan that huge could come there by foot with NO ONE seeing it. Their lookouts were supposed to be keeping an eye out for much smaller ones, ones that could blend in with the trees and might be able to get fairly close to the wall without being seen. But that huge Titan was as tall as the wall, and vastly higher than ANYTHING around it so it would have been seen from dozens of miles away.

T_____T;

See, when you take a logical approach to a show that's shrouded in mystery, supernatural phenomena, and just straight up made up fantasy, it's easy to get carried away by trying to get to the bottom of every single detail.

I wonder how people like this can ever hope to enjoy mystery shows without constantly asking who the killer was starting from the first few minutes and complaining that the show blows because they left out that critical detail.

Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Once again dtm42 is SUPER MAD that a show isn't doing things in precisely the manner he approves of.

Hey, let's just be thankful this show doesn't feature zero gravity combined with miniskirts.

I laughed. x)

Last edited by ScumbagYoshi on Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Not at all. I'm annoyed - not mad, as I'd have to care about the show to be mad - that the show isn't doing things in a smart sensible manner. There is no correct way to tell a story, but there are certainly many incorrect ways.

ScumbagYoshi wrote:
Sasha Braus.

Okay, takes itself completely seriously except for one character. Even with her the scale is still weighted towards grimdark.

ScumbagYoshi wrote:
>.> If you don't know how that happened because you didn't read the manga, you're really not allowed to say anything.

Well that's a load of bull. By your logic we should close down the series discussion thread to everyone who hasn't already read the Manga.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
One of the most amusing things about Attack on Titan discussions are people pointing out "plotholes" that are actually explored later on in the series. Whether or not you like the explanations is another matter entirely, but the assumption that the series won't go into any of these things at all is ridiculous.

While this is true, all the spoilers I've read feel to me like explaining minor inconsistencies with something that's even harder to believe. I think the TV Tropes term is "Voodoo Shark." Not to mention, it seems like the answer to every puzzling question is "because of Titans and their weird Titan powers" or spoiler["because this human is secretly a Titan, or vice versa"].

It's easy to justify them not building moats because, naturally, the Titans will eventually get past any obstacle. By magical lightning, if need be. It's not really very satisfying...the Titans can win whenever the author wants them to, because there's so much about them that's unknown. Eventually things will be explained, of course, but the way things are now, every situation feels sort of contrived. And from what I've heard, the manga still has not explained very much.

The show's pretty good, all things considered, but y'know...ever heard the phrase "trying too hard?" This is the embodiment of it, for me. Though, the inability of many fans to accept that some people don't find the show effective or scary is what disturbs me most of all.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well that's a load of bull. By your logic we should close down the series discussion thread to everyone who hasn't already read the Manga.

lol, no it's not.

You're complaining about "plot holes" when generally you don't complain about such things until a show is over.

I would be fine if you said "the pacing of the show is bad and boring," which I happen to agree with. But to say that the show is filled with a bunch of plot holes because the show is deliberately shrouding anything about the titans in a fog of mystery is just ridiculous to say. It's unfair to critique a show on holes in its story when there are 18 or so episodes of content remaining.

Also:

Quote:

Okay, takes itself completely seriously except for one character. Even with her the scale is still weighted towards grimdark.

Please don't call it at grimdark. If anything, it's grimderp.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

It doesn't? Well that's me out. Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:

T_____T;

See, when you take a logical approach to a show that's shrouded in mystery, supernatural phenomena, and just straight up made up fantasy, it's easy to get carried away by trying to get to the bottom of every single detail.

I wonder how people like this can ever hope to enjoy mystery shows without constantly asking who the killer was starting from the first few minutes and complaining that the show blows because they left out that critical detail.

Can't tell if you're directing that partially at me or not.

dtm42 wrote:

ScumbagYoshi wrote:
>.> If you don't know how that happened because you didn't read the manga, you're really not allowed to say anything.

No, it just means you shouldn't start complaining about plot-holes when you're less than 1/4 of the way through a series and it's clearly something isn't supposed to be, and doesn't need to be, explained yet. See also SAO, and people demanding to know every tiny detail about the villains plan after the first or second episode.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Can't tell if you're directing that partially at me or not.

Just a general blanket statement.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
That makes a lot less sense, honestly. They made it very, very clear that the Titan materialized out of nowhere. It is reasonable to expect this to get explained eventually and absurd to require an explanation immediately, especially when the show made it very clear that the humans know very little about the titans.

It most certainly was not made clear that it materialised out of nowhere. It popped its head above the parapets and that was the first the defenders knew about it, but it was not made clear at all that it was summoned out of thin air. What's more likely; drunk defenders who have gotten soft after a century of peace not keeping a proper lookout, or teleportation?

HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's much, much harder to believe that titan that huge could come there by foot with NO ONE seeing it. Their lookouts were supposed to be keeping an eye out for much smaller ones, ones that could blend in with the trees and might be able to get fairly close to the wall without being seen. But that huge Titan was as tall as the wall, and vastly higher than ANYTHING around it so it would have been seen from dozens of miles away.

You mean the small titans which were shown to be at the base of the wall even before the attack?

Yes, the giant titan would have been able to be seen kilometres away. Which, if you'll notice, was my initial gripe. And then we were told (or you were told) it just teleported/was summoned and things went from highly implausible - but still explainable within the confines of the setting - to just being plain ridiculous.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Really if he wants to complain about things that don't make any rational sense, the 3D Maneuver Gear is a perfectly valid target. Instead of the rather explicitly fantastical/magical Titans.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
While this is true, all the spoilers I've read feel to me like explaining minor inconsistencies with something that's even harder to believe. I think the TV Tropes term is "Voodoo Shark."

*looks up term*

Yes, thank you. That's what I was getting at. The writer took something implausible and made it far worse by trying to introduce magical lightning into the equation.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It most certainly was not made clear that it materialised out of nowhere. It popped its head above the parapets and that was the first the defenders knew about it, but it was not made clear at all that it was summoned out of thin air. What's more likely; drunk defenders who have gotten soft after a century of peace not keeping a proper lookout, or teleportation?

This was blatantly obvious in its second appearance. It was even obvious in the first from the viewers POV.

Edit: I'm not saying that Shingeki is the pinnacle of logic and realistic events, but christ you find the most pointless things to bitch about.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys. There's this story about Titans and the author explicitly states that humans know little to nothing at all about Titans in almost every chapter.

The story isn't finished yet, but man there are so many plot holes that are just impossible to fill, especially since we know everything there is to know about Titans at this point.

rofl
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Yes, it was. I'm sorry they they didn't explicitly narrate it for you.

ScumbagYoshi wrote:
Hi guys. There's this story about Titans and the author explicitly states that humans know little to nothing at all about Titans in almost every chapter.

The show's first episode explicitly stated this as well, and it was reiterated a few episodes later.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Largely agree with the review. I'm absolutely loving this series despite the sometimes tragic production values. I'm glad the fight scenes remain pretty fantastic for the most part. Very Happy

As per the argument right now, the Titans are certainly impossible to explain in any way that makes sense, but isn't that the point? Humans have zero understanding about them. This line from the review sums up my feelings about it: "And at this point not having a motive or explanation for their existence is just fine, as they function perfectly well as raw movie monsters." Who cares if they haven't been explained yet? They've succeeded in being terrifying, at least IMO.

HitokiriShadow wrote:

I think there are already more MAD parodies of this than Cruel Angel's Thesis. It goes with *everything*.

It
literally
goes
with
everything.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Attack on Bollywood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7