• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero89

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote
Has anyone else noticed the animation 'slip-up' in ep. 11 (Day of Sagittarius). Wink

About 5:00 into the episode, Kyon says something about only wanting to remember mikuru in her yakisoba costume.... but during his flashback, it shows another girl in the costume....

So I was wondering, who is that chick? Was it Tsuruya?

P.S. I knew it was only a matter of time before Kyonism spread... Anime smile + sweatdrop
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
P.S. I knew it was only a matter of time before Kyonism spread... Anime smile + sweatdrop
lol. Though Mirukiism and Yukiism have already established themselves firmly in the more popular name of moe. I'm not one of those moe-crazed fans, but I must admit (very willingly, mind you) they are designed to be very appealing, otaku-style. Very Happy

By the way, is it just me or Koizumi (was that a choice name relating to the prime minister, or was I just paranoid?) seems to be the one who explains much more stuff to Kyon than the other two? He feels more relevant to me as a plot-driver here.

I personally don't want to debate much about the anime without actually reading the novels--and not any crappy unofficial translations, either, as they tend to deviate or lacking in quality; heck, even the official ones that manage to come across are generally terrible--because it's likely that the novels will provide far more detailed picture of the story than what the anime accomplishes in but 14 episodes, or six if one counts only for the main plot.

A side, completely unrelated, and quite pointless note: I'm perfectly comfortable with the "fillers" of this show in a way that, even without the plot, I'd still like it all the same. (Are the murder episodes parodying Conan or am I just paranoid, again?) Does anyone agree, or disagree?
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote
The murder episodes are parodying (sp?) all murder mysteries. Koizumi kind of explains the whole closed circle thing in the first half, which is the basis for pretty much any murder mystery.

Now on to about Koizumi providing more info, that is something I've noticed as well, at least in the anime (haven't read the novels *yet*). This is most likely cause Yuki's character is an alien which is observing, so all she can really provide is those observations, Mikuru is from the future, but can only disclose so much information or else it might screw up the future, and Koizumi is a member of a secret esper society, who's only main goal is to keep Haruhi happy, which the major view within the society is to keep her ignorant of her own powers. Since Koizumi is a member of an Earthling society in the present time, he doesn't have as many restrictions to the information he can provide compaed to the other two.
frouella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
(Are the murder episodes parodying Conan or am I just paranoid, again?)

Actually, people have said earlier in this thread that the episode parodies Phoenix Wright (a mystery/detective game that I'm not familiar with). However, I have seen articles with screenshots from both and the poses they use are almost identical.
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
There were no fillers in this show. If they did not have a plot, it was about character development. The mysterious island thing was stressing on the fact that the world could end if Haruhi was bored. She wanted to go to a mysterious island so she could solve a mystery or something of the sort so she was not bored. spoiler[Koizumi and his "relatives" and the "butler" and "maid" all put on a show for Haruhi so the world would not end (It's pretty ovbious that they were all Espers).]
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I use "fillers" in a general sense. I certainly am aware of how those episodes contribute to the show in general, and even the main plot in the show's own twisted way. Razz What's with the hints and the shuffles and major character developments and all. You can replace it with "side plot" or "slice-of-life" episodes if you like. It's more of a distinction between those and the ones that carry out the main plot as opposed to, say, Naruto fillers, which would give an entirely different connotation, created for different purposes.

And, like I said, they stand alone very well. Such genuine genial genius.

What's that about some bloody stupidity in the latest fansubbed Naruto episodes I've been hearing?
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
After hearing all over the place how good this series is supposed to be, naturally I'm thinking about trying it at some point. Though I would like to ask what the content is like, from a Christian perspective. I know that it seems to deal with supernatural aspects to at least some degree, so I wondered how far it went.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
One of the great things about Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is that it can hold as much or as little meaning as you want it to.

Don't like series that make you think and theorize and wonder? Haruhi is the right anime for you. It is a simple light-hearted school life comedy with a fantasy twist that will surely provide fun entertainment, and lots of moeness. The "complicated" conversations throughout the series? Pay no mind to all that babble, it is of no importance, and in no way affect your viewing pleasure. In fact, they are there to enable you to laugh at the irony of all the "grand roles" of everyone in the SOS-Dan when they are just silly high school students. Ah, the fun of it all.

Don't like simple, straight-forward, and linear school life series? Haruhi is the right anime for you. It is a fascinating and complicated school life & sci-fi comedy/drama (mostly drama) with a unique fantasy twist that will surely provide you the wonderful pleasure of theorizing, and a lot of intrigue. The comedical gags throughout the series? Pay no mind to the seemling simpleness of all of it, it is all for the purpose of strengthening the series as a whole, and will subtly enhance your viewing pleasure in every good way. In fact, they are there to further hint at the true personalities of the characters and why they would act in such manners as to be so contrasting to their true roles in the world. Ah, the philisophicality (is that even a word?) of it all.
Zero89

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
After hearing all over the place how good this series is supposed to be, naturally I'm thinking about trying it at some point. Though I would like to ask what the content is like, from a Christian perspective. I know that it seems to deal with supernatural aspects to at least some degree, so I wondered how far it went.

A christian perspective????? why that? It ruins all the fun! Twisted Evil
Well, if your a devout christian purist who can't enjoy an anime if is contradictory to your beliefs, then don't watch the show... Very Happy Or much sci-fi for that matter. Rolling Eyes

But if you're talking about any dark stuff (like rape, etc.) than, it shouldn't detract from your enjoyment of the show....(because there is none... Wink )

Coincidentally, the only christian I showed this to... fell asleep during ep. 2... (not an anime fan, and running on 5 hours of sleep. Don't let that stop you! Anime hyper
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:07 am Reply with quote
I too am unsure exactly what you mean by "christian perspective" for many reasons, the main two being: which christianity? in what way?

As Zero stated, there's really no questionable content unless you refuse to believe or even go along with anything that does not directly coincide with the beliefs of your sect of christianity (i.e. don't like fiction at all, which doesn't seem to be the case).

You know frenty, I had been thinking the same thing to myself about the show when showing it to my sister, mom, roomates, and anyone else I could get to watch it. It's been gone over a million and a half times in this thread now, but the lack of weaknesses in this show just astound me in that both of those venues for enjoying the show are equal. Most shows seem to favor one form of enjoyment over others, but you can take as much from Haruhi as you want to put into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:

Who goes around talking like this? Would you like to know what a blueberry scone tastes like "from a Christian perspective" or how a PT Cruiser drives "from a Christian perspective"? It doesn't make any sense.

Will it offend "Christian sensibilities"? I don't know - the fact that Itsuki and the "Organization" sees Haruhi as somewhat of a "God" might offend an imbecile motivated by petty old rules, but it is a work of fiction, after all.

Then there's all that "costume raping" and the blasphemous talking cat.

That being said, having watched the rest of this series, I find it enormously likeable, and has a high rewatch value for me, since there are so many great moments worth viewing again, like the concert in episode 12. I hope KyoAni animates a second season - they should base it around either the making of the student film (which encompasses the second novel) or Kyon in the "alternate reality" (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya). I hope they add "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody", as well.

For a domestic release, ADV or Geneon seem like good candidates, but I can see FUNimation just as easily getting ahold of it. Voices are VERY important in this series - if/when it's dubbed, it'll be difficult if not impossible to match Haruhi's. But that's what bilingual discs are for. An SOS armband would be a good DVD extra. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
Though I would like to ask what the content is like, from a Christian perspective. I know that it seems to deal with supernatural aspects to at least some degree, so I wondered how far it went.

If you're able to watch Pokemon, Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Cardcaptor Sakura from a "Christian perspective" with no problem, you should have no problem with Haruhi.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Try asking that question here.
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
For thanks for the help, but to most of you, quit being rude. Nothing's wrong with me putting my religion first. I don't care if you don't understand, but don't give me flack about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:

Try asking that question here.

How, I honestly have to say that those people really need to grow up. They're complaining about things that are more "tame," as they put it, than stuff they watch on American TV. I'm sorry, but anyone that complains like they do seriously needs to grow up or get shot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 48 of 213