• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Premieres on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperiorCaptain

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
Wow.

So for starters anyone who isn't a child that watches things in their primary language is an illiterate fool that may as well be a child?

"No, i'm not insulting anyone that's just what I think. Then again i'm fluent in Japanese!"

Smooth. Why would I learn a language i'll never use just so i can watch some cartoons? That's mighty impractical, and you really are a weaboo purist.

Nobody shows subtitles in the US because nobody wants them and ratings go south. "Hurr durr americans are too lazy to even read!"

Welcome to Television, where you're not expected to read. It's kind of how the medium works. That's the whole point of a dub in the first place. It's not like the US is the only one to do this seeing as its aired in places such as France, Germany, and even the Catalan countries.

But hey let's just assume everyone should watch foreign stuff because that's what mature adults do! It's not like cultural differences exist anymore, right?
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

I would have assumed they just went with a male VA and manned him up a little (ala Goku) instead of going with a female. They did the same thing with the Rurouni Kenshin dub and it turned out fine. Luffy ended up sounding like 11 instead of 17. That is my basic problem with it.

Oda, the creator of One Piece said he wanted a female to voice Luffy. All of the Strawhats had to be approved by Oda himself, so it wasn't really an option to do what they did for Goku. Personally I love Colleen's Luffy now. It took me a little while to get used to it, but now I can enjoy both the Japanese and English versions equally.
sypherman

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm wrong but as far as I can tell One Piece does not take place in our world, and as such none of these characters are japanese. So while japanese is the language the story is presented in, nothing within the fiction says anybody is speaking japanese. If you prefer japanese One Piece good on you, implying people who don't are lazy or stupid just makes you a pretentious asshat.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
People need to lay off the freaking insults. Plus, if we continue to devolve any thread mentioning a broadcast in to a "anime versus domestic cartoons" thread or a "dub vs sub" thread then we're going to have a problem as that is blatant soapboxing.

Also, Pangea, it seems you can't make a single post without insulting people and blatant personal attacks. If you continue to do this you will either be placed under moderation or outright banned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
No, Shonen magazines are for "young boys" between 13-18 years! The 8-12 year magazines are called Kodomo magazines.
Eichiro Oda (mangaka of One Piece) said that when he makes a chapter he first sees if is good for a 15 year boy and if he thinks is not then he makes everything from the beginning.

Those ages seem a bit high than what it is actuality. Shonen definitely extends to under 10 years of age. One Piece's biggest ratings demographic comes from kids under the age of 10. One Piece's target audience is pretty clear, though Laughing
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
What is most interesting to me is, no matter what the thread is about, there is always one or two people who registered to make one post and never again.

I didn't watch OP last night, but I'm sure it was fun. Not a Nielsen family anyway, and the biggest anime currently in production doesn't really need my help.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I can imagine there are once long debates between whether literature was better to be in the original Latin(or Greek) or better translated in one's own language. plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

Getting back to Toonami, I bet One Piece is crack 1 million in the ratings.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I could never get into the manga so I decided to give the anime a try last night.

I know most of the characters and basic ideas of the settings plot points, etc. (pirates on a fantastical sea fighting against people's oppression by warlords in a ridiculously over-the-top world) simply because it's so popular. A complete newbie would have been completely confused. I wasn't sure who was who (the black-haired girl was Nico Robin, right?) I had no idea what the Don Flamingo stuff was, but I assume it was a holdover of the last arc and wasn't important.

Toonami should make a commercial that at the very least introduces all the characters.

The episode was cute, the character designs will take some getting used to, and all the dub voices were okay except Luffy, who really grated. I really liked Tony Tony Chopper, who sounded exactly like Happy from Fairy Tale.

In any case it's really cool that Toonami has the top three Shonen Jump properties back-to-back on Saturday nights.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Wow, what happened to this thread?

a sub vs dub flame
StrawHat313 wrote:
Wow I'm really late to the party, but seriously WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED HERE!? The first few posts were excitement about One Piece being back on Toonami, to arguments about dubs and subs. I'm tired of seeing all this arguing about who's right and who's wrong, lets just talk about how awesome it is that One Piece is back and we can enjoy it every Saturday.

it would be awesome to go back to episode168 but no skipped. also 196 to 207. missing 9episodes of season 4 to FUNIMATION.com and DVDs. sorry the last post was a lie from last week it's 39 episodes not 51. fixed.

@Keonyn I'll delete that [post was removed] now

Pokenatic wrote:
Is this what every Toonami thread devolves into?

yeah the mainstream days are over.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
So they are starting with the Davey Back Fight, but did they even finish Skypeia last time One Piece aired on Toonami years ago?

Oh well, sooner they get to Water 7/Enies Lobby the better. Great story arc, and I've been enjoying the english dub episodes quite a bit, Usopp is just too good.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
Banken wrote:

I would have assumed they just went with a male VA and manned him up a little (ala Goku) instead of going with a female. They did the same thing with the Rurouni Kenshin dub and it turned out fine. Luffy ended up sounding like 11 instead of 17. That is my basic problem with it.

Oda, the creator of One Piece said he wanted a female to voice Luffy. All of the Strawhats had to be approved by Oda himself, so it wasn't really an option to do what they did for Goku. Personally I love Colleen's Luffy now. It took me a little while to get used to it, but now I can enjoy both the Japanese and English versions equally.

That's the original cast, and yes a female is fine when cast right, but there are simply so few female English VAs who can do adult/teen men as well as the Japanese VA who specialize in them.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Somehow I can imagine there are once long debates between whether literature was better to be in the original Latin(or Greek) or better translated in one's own language. plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

Getting back to Toonami, I bet One Piece is crack 1 million in the ratings.

Of course there were. Did you know Dante's Divine Comedy rhymed in Italian? If you are given a chance to enjoy something in the original language and don't, then I guess telling you what you're missing is a waste of breath.

To the others, no one is suggesting you should learn Japanese for anime (well, I'm not), simply that if you watch subbed anime long enough you WILL learn some.

To be honest the only reason I have taken the argument this far is because I like to argue Very Happy
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
While saying only kids and 'illiterate people' watch dubs is obviously taking things slightly too far, I do think it would be nice if channels offered their viewers the possibility to chose whether they want to watch their show dubbed or subbed (when the original isn't english, of course). That's treating your viewers like adults, and not simply like brainless people only there to swallow your ads.
Winger

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
ActionJacksin wrote:
Banken wrote:

There's no reason for anime that's ostensibly aimed at adults (in this case) to not be in subtitles. Dubs are for children.

At the very least there's no reason they shouldn't be able to provide a bilingual broadcast with a subtitle option.

I'm sorry but I just had to comment on this, because by this logic, One Piece is totally acceptable for dubbing. Y'know, considering it's been running in Shonen (aka "young boy" in English; young boys between 8-12 years old specifically) Jump since its inception.

No, Shonen magazines are for "young boys" between 13-18 years! The 8-12 year magazines are called Kodomo magazines.
Eichiro Oda (mangaka of One Piece) said that when he makes a chapter he first sees if is good for a 15 year boy and if he thinks is not then he makes everything from the beginning.

No.

Some Shonen Magazines are for boys between 8-12 years, and some are for boys between 13-18.

Shonen Jump ia a Magazine that is for boys between 8-13 years, One Piece is published in Shonen Jump. An example of magazine for boys with 13-18 years, is Shonen Magazine.

But One Piece has the targef of boys with 8-13 years old, include Oda says that he draws One Piece for kids.

Whatever, Kodomo magazines are for 5 years old kids, not 10 years old kids. Pokemon is a Kodomo anime, One Piece is a Shonen.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:
Pokemon is a Kodomo anime, One Piece is a Shonen.

How do you figure that? It airs right before Naruto does and Naruto is shonen. A lot of the manga adaptions run in shounen magazines, and one has run in a shoujo magazine. I'd say Pokemon is definitely shounen in it's themes and execution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7