• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Premieres on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
configspace wrote:

It is interesting to note the opposite is true for live action. For foreign films, the mainstream consumption method is subbed.

Not if you're in Japan, at least. Smile

Kid-friendly animated movies are all dubbed in Japan in theaters. Kid-friendly live-action movies are often dubbed, but depending on the theater there might be a subbed version. But if you want to watch it in 3D with subs you're out of luck. Adult-oriented live action is typically available in both, but sometimes sub-only.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Wow, what happened to this thread?
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
In this case, the anime is not ostensibly aimed at adults, and people can stop being pretentious by pretending that it is. It's shounen first and foremost, and at best it's all-ages. (And we all should watch Shakespeare in Ye Olde English and Journey to the West in Chinese.)

The issue isn't the anime itself, it's the time slot.

And I'm not being pretentious or simply a weaboo anime purist; I think if you're an educated adult with basic reading skills you should watch ANY foreign language film in the original language.

Even if it's a kids show, because I think you're missing the point of watching foreign content, especially when something's original quality is largely dependent on how well the creator's utlized their language, if you're just going to dub it.

Unless you're a kid. Meaning less than 15. In which case, dub away.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Banken wrote:

And the dub Luffy pales in comparison to the point where it's not even the same character.

Come on, it's not like it's the DBZ dub.

And I think Colleen Clinkenbeard does pretty well as Luffy. She's no Tanaka, but who is?

But hey, I'm not a huge OP fan, so perhaps this is out of my purview.

The characterization of the characters in DBZ don't suffer significantly, at least not with the later dubs.

You remember that DBZ was dubbed 3-4 different times, right? The first few were pretty bad.

I don't have any fault with her performance, it's really just the casting. I would have assumed they just went with a male VA and manned him up a little (ala Goku) instead of going with a female. They did the same thing with the Rurouni Kenshin dub and it turned out fine. Luffy ended up sounding like 11 instead of 17. That is my basic problem with it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
The characterization of the characters in DBZ don't suffer significantly, at least not with the later dubs.

Oh boy. That is... oh boy is that just utterly wrong. Laughing

You, uh, might want to look at some of my comparison videos. Even when they went back and redubbed earlier things, they continued to skew the characterization in a way that any changes in OP seem insignificant in comparison. DBZ's dub is arguably as bad as the 4Kids dub of OP.

Quote:
You remember that DBZ was dubbed 3-4 different times, right? The first few were pretty bad.

They were pretty bad up until Kai's dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Banken wrote:

Oh boy. That is... oh boy is that just utterly wrong. Laughing

You, uh, might want to look at some of my comparison videos. Even when they went back and redubbed earlier things, they continued to skew the characterization in a way that any changes in OP seem insignificant in comparison. DBZ's dub is arguably as bad as the 4Kids dub of OP.

Quote:

They were pretty bad up until Kai's dub.

To be honest the last DBZ dub I heard was the Kai dub, which was pretty good, so I don't really remember it that well.

I remember after first hearing the Japanese track (it was years after watching the dub as a kid) the the only characters whose voices really changed that much were Goku, Krillin and adult Gohan. And if anything they simply sounded more like adults, because they weren't being played by the same VAs who played them as child characters.

It's been so long since I heard the 4Kids dub that I can't really comment about the quality; the real issue wasn't the dub but the butchering of the content itself. Like the openings, and all the digital edits.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Even if it's a kids show, because I think you're missing the point of watching foreign content, especially when something's original quality is largely dependent on how well the creator's utlized their language, if you're just going to dub it.

But we don't watch them solely because they're "foreign content", but because it has content that appeals to us. That's why many of us are equally fans of American cartoons like both Avatar series and Thundercats and Sym-Bionic Titan. I'll skip any argument in favor of cartoons since the Toonami thread the other day covered that thoroughly. But we watch One Piece because it's fun pirate action, not because we're just that in love with all things Japan.

Even Hayao Miyazaki said people should best enjoy anime in the language they speak, and he is naturally VERY for re-dubbing of his anime, as long as they're not heavily edited.

One Piece is not some anime that relies heavily on Japanese wordplay for most of its enjoyment. I can't think of any anime that did and as such had a terrible dub directly because of that. Even FLCL turned a lot of complicated wordplay into one of the better anime dubs ever. There's no heavy dependence on how the creators utilized their language.

(It's early in the morning, maybe I just misread what you said and jumped on your case for nothing. If so, I apologize.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

One Piece is not some anime that relies heavily on Japanese wordplay for most of its enjoyment.

I strongly disagree, but then again I am fluent in Japanese...

Hayao is a great director but he's not an anime fan.

And obviously if you have subtitles there is no worry about not being able to enjoy it in your own language. The subtitles are in your language. No one is saying you have to watch raws.

Also, the budgets for Ghibli dubs, considering the A-listers often involved, are likely comparable to the budgets for dubs of a typical 50-episode series. Since they're done by Disney, etc.

Finally, I wasn't suggesting anyone watches anime because of the fact that it's foreign (at least not any more). That's idiotic. We watch it because of the quality, and a large part of the One Piece's quality comes from the performances of it's original voice cast. And you might get 80-90% of One Piece's quality through a dub, which might be great if you're a kid watching it on CN, or you're a network executive who needs to turn a profit by selling the TV rights. But if you're an anime fan and you don't at the very least watch the original before you watch the dub, you're doing yourself a disservice.

...not to mention you have to weight about four or five years.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:

[Post removed due to not contributing and direct insults towards other posters.]

the stupidest part of "geek culture" is the animosity towards people who pursue a different geek hobby than you, or buy their geeky consumer goods from a different creator or vendor, or consume the same geek product in the "wrong" way.

console wars, dub vs sub, d&d edition wars, etc. if you are over the age of 15 and are concerned about any of these things to the point of insulting people for having a different preference, you really need to get some perspective. shut up and let people enjoy their stretchy pirate cartoon in the language they want.
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Wow I'm really late to the party, but seriously WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED HERE!? The first few posts were excitement about One Piece being back on Toonami, to arguments about dubs and subs. I'm tired of seeing all this arguing about who's right and who's wrong, lets just talk about how awesome it is that One Piece is back and we can enjoy it every Saturday.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
Banken wrote:

There's no reason for anime that's ostensibly aimed at adults (in this case) to not be in subtitles. Dubs are for children.

At the very least there's no reason they shouldn't be able to provide a bilingual broadcast with a subtitle option.

I'm sorry but I just had to comment on this, because by this logic, One Piece is totally acceptable for dubbing. Y'know, considering it's been running in Shonen (aka "young boy" in English; young boys between 8-12 years old specifically) Jump since its inception.

No, Shonen magazines are for "young boys" between 13-18 years! The 8-12 year magazines are called Kodomo magazines.
Eichiro Oda (mangaka of One Piece) said that when he makes a chapter he first sees if is good for a 15 year boy and if he thinks is not then he makes everything from the beginning.
Brakus

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Watching the original Full Metal Alchemist in Japanese is painful.

Why?

For me, at least, it has nothing at all to do with the voices; it's the fact that the voice actors don't even make any attempt to match the mouth flaps and it just *looks* terrible in Japanese.

Yes, I know, in Japan, technically it was pre-lay dubbing instead of ADR, but when I watched Episode 5 in Japanese (the one where they're on the train) and consistently saw mouths flapping when the seiyuu is taking a breath or otherwise pausing, I just said, "Come on, at least make SOME kind of effort to look like you're in sync!"
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
Is this what every Toonami thread devolves into?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brakus

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
ActionJacksin wrote:
Banken wrote:

There's no reason for anime that's ostensibly aimed at adults (in this case) to not be in subtitles. Dubs are for children.

At the very least there's no reason they shouldn't be able to provide a bilingual broadcast with a subtitle option.

I'm sorry but I just had to comment on this, because by this logic, One Piece is totally acceptable for dubbing. Y'know, considering it's been running in Shonen (aka "young boy" in English; young boys between 8-12 years old specifically) Jump since its inception.

No, Shonen magazines are for "young boys" between 13-18 years! The 8-12 year magazines are called Kodomo magazines.
Eichiro Oda (mangaka of One Piece) said that when he makes a chapter he first sees if is good for a 15 year boy and if he thinks is not then he makes everything from the beginning.

Wow. I never thought I'd see so much Asperger's Syndrome people on one thread. Jeez.

One Piece IS. A. KID'S. SHOW. It airs at 9:30 AM on Sunday mornings in Japan. There have been Happy Meal toys created from this show. There's so much merchandise for it. Sure, there's the occasional adult-targeted marketing push (Axe, Schick, etc.), but this is primarily a kid's show. And the Japanese don't get all up in arms about its violence because, really, the kids and their parents there can deal with that kind of stuff.

I only wish this show could get a better timeslot and a broadcast that's more than once a week with no chance for repeats. And the full version of the title sequences, no "edited to make more time for ads because the U.S. network said so" here.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
If it aired in the US mornings like Japan, it won't be edited to make room for ads, but edited for all the boob grabbing, jokes, the bath scenes, excessive violence, etc. It'll be 4kids all over again.

If it aired in the evenings, the violence would be allowed, but not the rest. So it's 1am time slot might be the only appropriate time considering most Americans would not consider many One Piece elements "kid friendly"

Now, if it were on say, HBO or Cinemax, yeah sure, no worries, but there would be no audience either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7