• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Premieres on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
The schedule is exactly as the article stated it would be.

Yeah, well ANN doesn't mention about SARA at all, so bite me.

Wait, so SARA only returned this week? I thought she returned with the latest visual revamp. (I missed several weeks of Toonami and I wasn't fully paying attention last week so I couldn't really tell)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Wait, so SARA only returned this week? I thought she returned with the latest visual revamp. (I missed several weeks of Toonami and I wasn't fully paying attention last week so I couldn't really tell)

She's been back since the new Toonami redesign, TOM 5 and all.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

I heard Tom say it himself "Sara? wow so first Luffy comes back and now you? what's next?"

I need to compare the visual quality of the broadcast to the dvd's because the show seems a bit brighter than I recall the last time I watched said episode.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:

2.5.) What do you mean "broadcast it without both audio tracks"? I've never heard that you could choose the audio track for a TV program.

There's the SAP (secondary audio programming), used usually for Spanish, but hardly used nowadays; many people don't even remember that option on their TVs anymore. Regardless, Williams Street already specifically addressed SAP a long time ago, saying it's too much to devote from their little production for too little in return gain. So it's a no-go.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
sypherman wrote:
It's amazing how pretentious people can be about cartoons.

What are you, new?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

There's no reason for anime that's ostensibly aimed at adults (in this case) to not be in subtitles. Dubs are for children.

At the very least there's no reason they shouldn't be able to provide a bilingual broadcast with a subtitle option.

I'm sorry but I just had to comment on this, because by this logic, One Piece is totally acceptable for dubbing. Y'know, considering it's been running in Shonen (aka "young boy" in English; young boys between 8-12 years old specifically) Jump since its inception.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

I heard Tom say it himself "Sara? wow so first Luffy comes back and now you? what's next?"

I need to compare the visual quality of the broadcast to the dvd's because the show seems a bit brighter than I recall the last time I watched said episode.

april 28 TOM 5 sara IGPX, boards of canada then last 2 weeks one piece commercials

sypherman wrote:
It's amazing how pretentious people can be about cartoons. Yes I called One Piece a cartoon, deal with it.

enurtsol wrote:
In this case, the anime is not ostensibly aimed at adults, and people can stop being pretentious by pretending that it is. It's shounen first and foremost, and at best it's all-ages. (And we all should watch Shakespeare in Ye Olde English and Journey to the West in Chinese.)

Tylerr wrote:
see you guys in 5 years when this series gets to the timeskip on toonami

if toonami even survives that long again.

FYI anime & cartoons are both animation even on 2d 3d and cgi.
I got nothing to say about FUNIMATION at all how disappointing.
@Tylerr like Tenchi Muyo GXP

Last edited by 11G4GUNOT on Sun May 19, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
>Sym-biotic Train

Somebody send a paramedic because I'm dying of laughter.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Banken wrote:

Also, dubbed One Piece isn't One Piece. If only because dub Luffy is so painfully bad.

Technically, all One Piece anime is dubbed so yeah dubbed One Piece is One Piece. Since you mean English-dubbed One Piece "isn't One Piece", I will also disagree with that. And sometimes the English dub is just better. Watching the original Full Metal Alchemist in Japanese is painful.

Technically, a dub means to replace or voice or lay over some other existing track (it is the same in music), so it is inaccurate when people say the original Japanese is dubbed when there is no existing track. Just because the voices are recorded after layout or in parallel with animation then merged does not mean it is dubbed, especially when all of the timing, on screen animation, lip flaps are created for the same script that voice actors are using.

My first exposure to One Piece was 4kids and that left a bad taste in my mouth.... I won't be watching since I don't watch TV anymore nor have cable, but I'm sure Funi's dub is better.. I hope

ActionJacksin wrote:
I'm sorry but I just had to comment on this, because by this logic, One Piece is totally acceptable for dubbing. Y'know, considering it's been running in Shonen (aka "young boy" in English; young boys between 8-12 years old specifically) Jump since its inception.

Well, Shounen also includes many, many titles that outsiders wrongly assume are not, and would be shocked to find out they are Shounen. So basing it on a presumption of what one thinks the demographics are or assumes is an exclusive range of demographics is not right either.

In any case, I do think it's silly to ever expect subtitled anime on TV. But given that anime in the US is already a small niche, is not only sporadically scheduled, which interferes with serialization, but airs past midnight into early a.m., it is ironic to think of them as targeting "kids" or as something that can be casually watched, like just flicking on the TV during the evening.

It is interesting to note the opposite is true for live action. For foreign films, the mainstream consumption method is subbed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

It is interesting to note the opposite is true for live action. For foreign films, the mainstream consumption method is subbed.

Not if you're in Japan, at least. Smile
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
Banken's comments gave me a migraine.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Watching the original Full Metal Alchemist in Japanese is painful.

Why?
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
I watched One Piece tonight and I was very satisfied. Very Happy It was the first time I really had a chance to listen to the English dub cast, and I surprisingly liked almost all of the voices, with the exception (unfortunately) of Luffy (BUT at least after a while of listening I thankfully got used to it). Chopper's voice in particular seemed like a very good rendition that caught my ear. I'm a bit ways ahead in the series than where Toonami's starting from, but I'm pretty sure I won't mind tuning in every Saturday to revisit the Foxy arc (which was fun and breezy anyways, so even if I miss an episode it wouldn't hurt the experience much).
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
Luffy's english voice takes getting used to, if only just because I've been listening to Tanaka's Luffy for 600 episodes. Every other voice i heard in the episode sounded pretty solid. When I do start buying the voyage boxsets i'll probably stick to subs, but i'm also content listening to the dubs on toonami. Now I just gotta wait for them to get through the Davy Back Fights, cause I never really liked this mini arc (though afro Luffy is pretty fantastic), especially since Water7/Ennies Lobby is possibly the best arc, or at least up there.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Watching the original Full Metal Alchemist in Japanese is painful.

Why?

I can't exactly remember if I hated Edward's seiyuu or Alphonse's seiyuu performance but hearing the Elric brothers in Japanese for the orginal FMA anime was not a pleasant experience for me. I think I liked Roy's seiyuu from the part of an episode I watched with the Japanese audio track. Maybe it's because I heard and liked the English dub first(and it was one of my first anime as an anime fan).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7