• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Premieres on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pangea

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Pangea wrote:
Murican's and your fcking dubs can gtfo

you mad

Yes im oozing of madness
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
that's unfortunate
Banken

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Banken wrote:

Also, dubbed One Piece isn't One Piece. If only because dub Luffy is so painfully bad.

Technically, all One Piece anime is dubbed so yeah dubbed One Piece is One Piece. Since you mean English-dubbed One Piece "isn't One Piece", I will also disagree with that. And sometimes the English dub is just better. Watching the original Full Metal Alchemist in Japanese is painful.

Wow, pedantic much?

You're joking, right? The English dub of FMA was good but it wasn't any better than the original.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Banken wrote:
Also, dubbed One Piece isn't One Piece. If only because dub Luffy is so painfully bad.

4Kids doesn't dub it anymore.

I wasn't talking about the 4Kids dub; that was just bad beyond beyond.

While the Funimation dub isn't BAD, it simply isn't One Piece if it isn't in Japanese, and without the original cast.

The puns, the humor, the laughing, etc, don't make sense in English.

And the dub Luffy pales in comparison to the point where it's not even the same character.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
ok, then stick to the Japanese track, stop watching the English track, shut up and move on
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
see you guys in 5 years when this series gets to the timeskip on toonami

if toonami even survives that long again.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
ok, then stick to the Japanese track, stop watching the English track, shut up and move on

There's no reason for anime that's ostensibly aimed at adults (in this case) to not be in subtitles. Dubs are for children.

At the very least there's no reason they shouldn't be able to provide a bilingual broadcast with a subtitle option.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Just going to point out that "Sym-biotic Train" should be "Sym-bionic Titan". Surprised no one else has caught that typo yet, though I really wish there was a mecha train show on Toonami lol!
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell are you sub guys even on this thread?

Last edited by Pokenatic on Sat May 18, 2013 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:
[Post removed due to not contributing to the discussion and directly attacking/insulting those who do not see things as the poster does.]

Banken wrote:
getchman wrote:

There's no reason for anime that's ostensibly aimed at adults (in this case) to not be in subtitles. Dubs are for children.

At the very least there's no reason they shouldn't be able to provide a bilingual broadcast with a subtitle option.

I quite literally facepalmed. TWICE.

Look, it doesn't matter who likes WHAT vocal track. You can like the sub and you could like the dub, but INSULTING people who like to listen to the dub is simply being rude.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Pangea wrote:
[Post removed due to not contributing to the discussion and directly attacking/insulting those who do not see things as the poster does.]

Banken wrote:
getchman wrote:

I quite literally facepalmed. TWICE.

Look, it doesn't matter who likes WHAT vocal track. You can like the sub and you could like the dub, but INSULTING people who like to listen to the dub is simply being rude.

Read carefully; I didn't insult anyone. But seriously, if you're an adult you should watch foreign films with subtitles. The only reason not to is if you're [insults removed]. Dubs are [insults removed].

You realize it's possible to learn a foreign language with subtitles, right? Why would anyone prefer a little bit of mindless entertainment over the opportunity to better themselves?

[Mod Edit: Not insulting people? Sorry, but just because you can't see the reason why some people might appreciate or enjoy something different than you doesn't mean there aren't any. You want to disagree with someone then fine, do so with a valid reason. If your reason is because of some insulting assumption of their intelligence and generalizations based on how they appreciate some content and you outright call them the equivalent of stupid or retarded as a result then yes, you are insulting people and that will not be tolerated. - Keonyn]
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
You guys are just proving Thatguy's point.

Also, WHY are you even here on this thread if you guys hate English dubs so much?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
because being an asshat towards people who prefer to watch something in a language they can easily understand is fun apparently.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
You guys are just proving Thatguy's point.

Also, WHY are you even here on this thread if you guys hate English dubs so much?

Because I love One Piece and think it isn't done justice with the dub.

Also, anime is an inherently Japanese thing and if you're going to broadcast it without both audio tracks I think you're missing the point entirely.

If you have ever lived abroad and had English-language movies you wanted to see only available dubbed in the local language or edited for your country you would understand what I am talking about.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
In this case, the anime is not ostensibly aimed at adults, and people can stop being pretentious by pretending that it is. It's shounen first and foremost, and at best it's all-ages. (And we all should watch Shakespeare in Ye Olde English and Journey to the West in Chinese.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7