• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-07-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
I don't nessisarily think The Melancoly has limited appeal. Yes, it isn't going to sell like a Naruto and it has in-jokes, but the humor has a wider appeal than just otaku. I don't nessisarily watch a ton of anime anymore but I find the show appealing for its postmodern approch and great writing. Even a very casual fan can appriciate the randomness of the humor.
As for the rant, I myself can't stand those manga fans who think Naruto/Bleach/DeathNote is the definitive masterpiece of the medium despite the fact that they haven't read a single manga outside of Shonen Jump, but it's a side-effect of manga's newfound popularity. I sometimes find myself wishing for the days when Viz acually took risks and licenced things outside the of Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat. Of course, I generally think that eventually mature, adult manga will develop a larger audience in the US, so despite the fantards I think the "manga boom" is a good thing.
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
I think this is my favorite Answerman column thus far! Superb quality, truly. Anime smile

The description of that Naruto episode shocked me. As a fan who has only read and watched what has been released officially in English, I am incredulous. Well, no... I believe it, but it makes me sad that the show has gone in that direction. It seems to me like someone on the staff has a fetish and inserted it into the show for his own enjoyment. Filler can be done well and work within the context of a series - for example, the DNAngel anime is 93.5% filler but still entertaining (although I'm sure many will disagree with me here) - but this is just disgraceful. An episode like that should never have been made.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
The show kinda screams girl anime to me.

I get that there are girls who like Haruhi Suzumiya - and I knew I'd get a few in this thread telling me I'm wrong - but no way is it shojo anime. It's very - extremely obviously - aimed at men.

That's not to say it has NO appeal to girls, but the appeal is limited and obviously it differs from person to person but the majority of the show's fans are men. Look at the videos of the people lined up for Suzumiya single CDs in Japan, going crazy and dancing in line. You can pretty much count the number of girls on one hand (in fact I can't recall if there even were any girls in those videos). 99 percent of the people I see talking about the show online are guys. It's a guy show.

And of course there are Bleach and Naruto fans who love it. I didn't say ALL Bleach and Naruto fans wouldn't get it. But your average Toonami or Adult Swim viewer - casual anime fans - won't really get a whole lot out of it, I don't think.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I can imagine that there would be a lot of people complaining about the shuffling of the episodes in SHnY though. Especially since stuff like Naruto and Bleach have pretty linear plots.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Just to let Andrea know that her point was well stated. As the anime market grows I'm pretty sure we will see many of the American "Ford verses Chevy" scenarios where anime fans get emotionally invested in their "anime"... damn all others and anyone who dares to disagree. But that's ok, sometimes it's more than half the fun.

I've been involved in computer/anime for some time now, I still remember the thrill of being able to telnet (instead of direct dial) to Compuserv from this "internet" on a Dos 3.1 machine with a green screen, having just upgraded the modem from 300 bps to 1200!!! It was screaming. However, I always hold on to the "n00b" state of mind. When you're green you grow. When you're not, you rot. After many many Terabytes of anime, I’m still green (I hope!)

It’s a total blast when I can introduce anime anew to some one, I'm inspired when some one shares something new with me or provides a different point of view. I guess what saddens me the most is when an over zealous fan flames others to the point of running off some one who is a “n00b” Seems my biggest weakness is little patience for elitist.

Naruto did prove to be such sad outcome… the altimeter is spinning down and terminal velocity is not far away.

td99
Squirrama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I sometimes find myself wishing for the days when Viz acually took risks and licenced things outside the of Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat.

While I agree with the majority of your post, I as a fan of Shoujo manga did have a slight problem with this part of it.

Your want for them to license outside of Shojo Beat is an odd one to say the least, since all Shojo Beat means is that it is a Viz license. There is no Shojo Beat in Japan. It is purely a Viz creation, and many of the Shojo Beat manga are the only ones liscened out of the magazine they are serialized in. So when Viz licenses a manga that ran in Cookie (like NANA), it becomes a Shoujo Beat manga. When Viz licenses one from Lala (Like Ouran) it becomes a Shojo Beat manga.

By definition, Viz can’t possibly license a non-Shojo Beat, shoujo title. Even those they don’t put in their magazine are marked as Shojo Beat manga on their cover.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Ya I had heard about Innocence getting a Dub for some time now, but it all about when that ever get off the ground so that it will actually happen. Millennium Actress is something that I hope gets Dub, I enjoyed dub more then sub, and this is one of those titles that I would like a dub for to watch.

The dubs exist for both of them. I have them both on DVD. They were produced by Manga Entertainment for the UK only. I had to import them by ordering from amazon.co.uk.

I could take or leave the Millennium Actress dub, but having the dub of Innocence REALLY helps that movie. When the dialogue can wash over you, and your eyes aren't so occupied by two long lines of eight-syllable words in the subtitles that you can actually enjoy the visuals, the film starts becoming engaging.
cl4y

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
@ Zac: It's true that it probably doesn't have as wide of an appeal, but hey... adult swim ran Paranoia Agent. I'll agree that it's got lots of in-jokes and otaku references, but I also think it's on the girl-friendly end of the spectrum with regard to that type of anime. In any case, what drew me in about it was the freaking masterful animation KyoAni did for it.

@ Abarenbo Shogun: Why would you say Cowboy Bebop jumped the shark? I can't see how it would even remotely apply to that series.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The second Naruto uncut box set will also retail for $49.98, for some more information about it.

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=11319

Now, as for the fillers. I have only read and watched what has been released in the US, but regardless of what is going on in Japan, Naruto is just starting over here, so we have quite a while before the series may "jump the shark" over here (even though I deeply hope it hasn't jumped the shark permanently in Japan).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow that Naruto description kinda scares me. I am glad I never started watching this popular series 'online'. Now I can enjoy the nice slow American release, which means I should be watching a good show for a couple of years.(filler starts at 135 right Wink )

To the rant, I felt it was an attack on people that this very forum has set up rules to keep out.(naruto tiz da no1111!!!!) So there I agree. But like some have already said, to the kiddys on the floor in the bookstore that roll there eyes, who cares. If it bothers you that much 'accidentally' trip and throw a flying knee on them. Kids aren't beaten enough these days anyway, the parents will thank you, and it builds character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
konosuke15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Kids aren't beaten enough these days anyway, the parents will thank you, and it builds character.

Your right that kids ARENT beaten enough these days and have far too much freedom for their own good, but, the parent will NOT thank you most of the time (as, if parents are the 'oh my child is the sweetist little angel and he can do nothing wrong' kind and the kind is the complete opposite of that, you hit them, your likely for a sue)...

So, with that said, if you gonna hit the creeps that roll your eyes at you if you pick up a title they dont like, do it discreetly or in the back alley.

I cant comment if it builds character though....

Back to the topic; Yea, Naruto has jumped the shark and i just stopped watching the series a long time ago. If it even goes back to the manga, i dont even think I'll go back to watching it...until Sasuke returns at least.

I hope Melancholy does get licensed, hell, i'll buy it ^^

and to the rant. Nicely done, best rant i have read since that part of the column has been made. Anime smile
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
konosuke15 wrote:
Your right that kids ARENT beaten enough these days and have far too much freedom for their own good, but, the parent will NOT thank you most of the time (as, if parents are the 'oh my child is the sweetist little angel and he can do nothing wrong' kind and the kind is the complete opposite of that, you hit them, your likely for a sue)...

So, with that said, if you gonna hit the creeps that roll your eyes at you if you pick up a title they don't like, do it discreetly or in the back alley.
Well I was halfway kidding. But your right, discreetness is key. Thats why I used the word accidentally. Difference between a fight and an accident is that after an accident you apologize.

The only reason I used that extreme anyway, was to draw attention to the fact that author of the rant is bothered by such things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I get that there are girls who like Haruhi Suzumiya - and I knew I'd get a few in this thread telling me I'm wrong - but no way is it shojo anime. It's very - extremely obviously - aimed at men.

That's not to say it has NO appeal to girls, but the appeal is limited and obviously it differs from person to person but the majority of the show's fans are men. Look at the videos of the people lined up for Suzumiya single CDs in Japan, going crazy and dancing in line. You can pretty much count the number of girls on one hand (in fact I can't recall if there even were any girls in those videos). 99 percent of the people I see talking about the show online are guys. It's a guy show.

I did not mean to imply that I thought it was a shojo title. I completely agree with you in that it's clearly aimed at guys in Japan. When I said it screams girl anime what I should have said is that I think it will very much appeal to the American female anime fan. That is admittedly not exactly the largest demographic but most licensed anime is aimed at guys (admittedly a broad generalization). Getting girls too is just a lucky plus. Haruhi is a guy show that I think will have the lucky plus of appealing to both sexes.

As for the rant, as someone who has been viciously attacked on other forums for saying something along the lines of "Inuyasha's great. I like it" we all need to lighten up a little. I'm not a "noob" I wasn't a noob when I said that. I am an old VHS anime fan with 100+ series under my belt. It doesn't bother me at all when people say they will never watch anything other then Cowboy Bebop or whatever the current hot anime is. Not everyone is as big an anime or manga fan as me. Nor do I require them to be. Who says they have to get into it enough to have informed opinions? If they miss out on things I think are great so be it. Everyone isn't going to rise to Otaku status. It really irks me how snobbish the veteran anime community seems to be getting lately as anime/manga's popularity begins to rise. People are allowed to take as much or as little of anime/manga as they want. Just don't listen to their recommendations.
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Can't they space these damn things out a little more? Why are there no big conventions in June? Why do all three of the biggest events in this industry have to happen inside 30 days?

Geez, the country's third largest Anime con and oldest con, A-Kon, is typically the 1st or 2nd weekend in June. And honestly how big is SDCC is to the Anime/Manga Industry? Yes it's good to have a presence there but in rest years it seems more like SDCC is more about the Comic related movies that are coming out.

www.a-kon.com
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5