• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Moon Stars in Action Figure Video With Voice Actress Mitsuishi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Personally, the only character my ears kept hearing was Excel as I watched this.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
In otaku-oriented anime, for various reasons younger Japanese voice actresses (teenagers to thirtysomethings) tend to portray teenage and preteen girls.

Then imagine a male otaku in his 20s or 30s obsessing over a 2D anime teenage girl voiced by a married woman with children (and perhaps grandchildren) in her 40s, 50s, or 60s - a woman old enough to be his mother, if not his grandmother.

On the other hand, veteran voice actors in Japan still do a lot of voice acting work in mainstream animation, narration, dubbing foreign language films/TV shows/games, etc. - much, if not most, of which is unfamiliar or totally unknown to anime fans outside Japan.

Mika Kanai, who is nearly fifty and is known for her high voice and playing very young or young-looking characters, has a regular role as Melonpanna in the long-running, mainstream children's television animation series Soreike! Anpanman.

But Mika Kanai also voices the fairy-like being Histoire in the niche, otaku-centric Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory games and the upcoming Hyperdimension Neptunia TV anime series.

The main question with 45-year-old Kotono Mitsuishi doing Usagi Tsukino's may not lie in her age, but rather whether she can still do the voice of a teenage girl in a TV anime series.

Her current and recent roles include adult women like Tamako Nobi (Nobita's mom) in Doraemon, Boa Hancock in One Piece, Cocco in Hunter x Hunter (2011), and Misato Katsuragi in the Evangelion theatrical movies.

And yes, Kotono Mitsuishi did do Hummy, the very friendly catlike being in Suite PreCure♪ (2011-2012).
Fennekin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
I'm... going to be perfectly honest and I'm probably going to be alone in this: It does not sound good. She just sounds... way too old for Usagi and can't do that pitch anymore. I realize it's partially because she hasn't done the voice in so long (besides briefly doing Usagi's voice at that event last year), but it almost seems like she's trying to make her voice horse trying to reach that pitch.

Now I'm starting to think maybe recasting her for the new anime might be a good thing.

I honestly think her voice was excellent. And remember, this is only from commercials. I'm sure for the actual show, she'll have her voice even better.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
ryonomiko wrote:
Commerical was great and I do hope Kotono will be Usagi in the new anime.

Character song CDs and show events are nothing new.

Seiyuu don't get tossed aside due to aging (won't be able to sell gods, attract more people). More experienced seiyuu command more money. Smaller budget a show has, easier to hire less experienced seiyuu.

There are many teenager roles or kids voices done by seiyuu well in their 30s or older. Kamiya Hiroshi, Ono Daisuke, Fukuyama Jun, Suwabe Junichi, Sakurai Takahiro, Hiro Shimono, Seki Tomokazu, Hoshi Souichirou...

The entire Uta Pri cast. Think the CDs or events sell out any less? No.
Prince of Tennis cast same thing. Tenipuri Fest event is huge. Think the cast are remotely teenager age? No.

Detective Conan cast since the start in 1996 has had vey little change. It's 2013 now. Hayashibara Megumi is Haibara Ai, Takayama Minami is Conan. Should they be replaced? No.

Japanese fans are loyal, not fickle. FMA Brotherhood wouldn't have gone over as well if Romi Park and Kugimiya Rie weren't back as Ed and Al.

She's going to be. She already alluded to competing with her first performance. Razz
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Siegel Clyne wrote:
In otaku-oriented anime, for various reasons younger Japanese voice actresses (teenagers to thirtysomethings) tend to portray teenage and preteen girls.

Then imagine a male otaku in his 20s or 30s obsessing over a 2D anime teenage girl voiced by a married woman with children (and perhaps grandchildren) in her 40s, 50s, or 60s - a woman old enough to be his mother, if not his grandmother.

On the other hand, veteran voice actors in Japan still do a lot of voice acting work in mainstream animation, narration, dubbing foreign language films/TV shows/games, etc. - much, if not most, of which is unfamiliar or totally unknown to anime fans outside Japan.

Mika Kanai, who is nearly fifty and is known for her high voice and playing very young or young-looking characters, has a regular role as Melonpanna in the long-running, mainstream children's television animation series Soreike! Anpanman.

But Mika Kanai also voices the fairy-like being Histoire in the niche, otaku-centric Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory games and the upcoming Hyperdimension Neptunia TV anime series.

The main question with 45-year-old Kotono Mitsuishi doing Usagi Tsukino's may not lie in her age, but rather whether she can still do the voice of a teenage girl in a TV anime series.

Her current and recent roles include adult women like Tamako Nobi (Nobita's mom) in Doraemon, Boa Hancock in One Piece, Cocco in Hunter x Hunter (2011), and Misato Katsuragi in the Evangelion theatrical movies.

And yes, Kotono Mitsuishi did do Hummy, the very friendly catlike being in Suite PreCure♪ (2011-2012).

But Sailor Moon's not Otaku-oriented. It's a mainstream shojo title. So it's not an issue.
ZackDeMars

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Not Otaku-oriented ??! Well, not anymore but I remember seeing videos from Sailor Moon Christmas Concert with the 5 main seiyuu around 1993 I think, the place full of guys LOL

But I know it didn't last and thank God !

About Koto-chan performance in this ad, I also noticed her voice didn't have this high-pitched tone she was famous for but I especially felt this delicious nostalgia hearing her bringing life to Sailor Moon once more !

Japanese fans have this attachment about those seiyuu and the biggest franchises they worked on and it's always a pleasure to see a seiyuu evolving with his/her characters !

There's a point where they are like a part of their family and there's nothing better than this !

Plus, since it seems that the new show will be close to the manga, Sailor Moon and Usagi will be much more mature & it will give a new meaning to the Sailor Moon universe.

Funny how she had in mind that she will have to compete with her former performances, though xD
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Siegel Clyne wrote:

But Sailor Moon's not Otaku-oriented. It's a mainstream shojo title. So it's not an issue.

I never said it was not a mainstream TV animation series in Japan, because it certainly was.

And what otaku-centric anime existed in 1992, when the Sailor Moon anime made its debut in Japan? Hardly anything I can think of on Japanese TV.
PmChivas

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
PmChivas wrote:
Ahhh...that felt good. Although, I own the DVDs, it still feels nice to hear Usagi doing commercials again. Very Happy

And, yes, Mitsuishi's voice does sound older, I don't count that as a bad thing. I don't expect the new Sailor Moon to be the same Sailor Moon from my teen years. For me, I would like to see a reboot of the anime showing the Sailor Team out of high school and pursuing other dreams than boys (or girls: Haruka Twisted Evil ) and good grades.

Sailor Moon isn't a boy-centric manga. Minako and Mako are the romantics of the group, Usagi's in a set relationship, Rei has vowed her Chastity to Serenity, and Ami is focused on her studies. And them being out of high school wouldn't be that interesting anyway because their future's not up in the air. We know that the characters stop aging and slowly create a utopia on Earth and we know that they come to place their duty as soldiers above all else so there's not much material for a story is there? Though I likewise don't count her deeper pitch as a bad thing. It's just something to get used to. Cool

Correct. However, when I wrote my post I wasn't thinking so much about the manga but about the anime, which is was something I was more familiar with growing up than the manga, since I didn't read it until much, much, much later. And if the reboot is revamping the storyline from the anime and not the manga -- I would much prefer an older team more more focused and not as boy crazy. Anime wise speaking. Very Happy
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Siegel Clyne wrote:
And what otaku-centric anime existed in 1992, when the Sailor Moon anime made its debut in Japan? Hardly anything I can think of on Japanese TV.

Most of the "otaku" stuff was relegated to the OVA market back then-- and 1992 was the year we got Nuku Nuku, Tenchi Muyo and La Blue Girl! The series that actually appeared on TV seemed to court a family/mainstream audience.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally, as much as possible, I like to see as much as the original Japanese voice cast return to do the new Sailor Moon anime.

Kotono Mitsuishi, as we know, is still active in the industry, and so are many others.

Although she usually voices adult women (often mothers) nowadays, Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury seiyuu Aya Hisakawa (age 44) can still voice teenagers, like she did as 17-year-old Yuri Tsukikage/Cure Moonlight in HeartCatch Precure (2010-2011).

Rei Hino/Sailor Mars seiyuu Michie Tomizawa (age 51) retired from voice acting. Could she be persuaded to reprise her role in Sailor Moon? Maybe. Maybe not.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Siegel Clyne wrote:
Although she usually voices adult women (often mothers) nowadays, Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury seiyuu Aya Hisakawa (age 44) can still voice teenagers, like she did as 17-year-old Yuri Tsukikage/Cure Moonlight in HeartCatch Precure (2010-2011).

She also voiced Sonia recently in Saint Seiya Omega and was perfect there.

Quote:
Rei Hino/Sailor Mars seiyuu Michie Tomizawa (age 51) retired from voice acting. Could she be persuaded to reprise her role in Sailor Moon?

Semi-retired, her last role was as Roberta from Black Lagoon and she returned for the OVA.

The only VA I'm concerned about is Yuko Minaguchi (Hotaru/Sailor Saturn) as she hasn't done much since announcing her hiatus except for the Dragon Ball Z Battle Of Gods movie. She's supposed to attend Animazement this year along with Keiko Han (Luna) so maybe someone could ask the two of them?
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Siegel Clyne wrote:

She also voiced Sonia recently in Saint Seiya Omega and was perfect there.

Quote:
Rei Hino/Sailor Mars seiyuu Michie Tomizawa (age 51) retired from voice acting. Could she be persuaded to reprise her role in Sailor Moon?

Semi-retired, her last role was as Roberta from Black Lagoon and she returned for the OVA.

The only VA I'm concerned about is Yuko Minaguchi (Hotaru/Sailor Saturn) as she hasn't done much since announcing her hiatus except for the Dragon Ball Z Battle Of Gods movie. She's supposed to attend Animazement this year along with Keiko Han (Luna) so maybe someone could ask the two of them?

Despite playing a lot adult women roles, Aya Hisakawa always had a youthful sounding voice.

Setsuna Meiou/Sailor Pluto seiyuu Chiyoko Kawashima (age 58) is retired from voice acting. Anything she's done lately?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Tohru Furuya can definitely return to being Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen, as his voice hasn't changed in decades.

Probably because he's a Newtype.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I have a MIGHTY NEED! Very Happy
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although her pitch isn't the same as when she was younger, I think Mitsuishi-san still delivers Usagi's voice very well.

I second that! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4