• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Speaking of the final episode, wouldn't it be quite the uproar if a licensing announcement at AX precluded the expected 7/4 release of Melancholy~ 14? (Note: I don't have "insider knowledge" on this, it's just pure speculation.)

That is quite possible, if not probable. Also, are they planning on releasing it the 4th (since it is Independence Day in the US)? If I were them, I could always make the excuse of July 4th to release it on Monday, to at least give another day leeway in case they announce that it's been licensed.

One thing I'm not sure of is when during these conventions do they announce licensing stuff? Does each company get their turn? They all do it on he same day? spread out?

I think there is a chance that another series that I'm watching and hasn't been finished fansubbed may get licensed as well, and that's I"s Pure.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
One thing I'm not sure of is when during these conventions do they announce licensing stuff? Does each company get their turn? They all do it on he same day? spread out?

They're generally announced at each of their industry panels. I can't really see anybody else licensing it besides any of the big ones like Viz, Funi, Bandai, Geneon, Media Blasters, or ADV. None of their panels are on the 4th so I highly doubt it will be announced on that date. The programming scedule for AX can be seen here.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Quite funny how the cab driver never once reacted to all the outlandish things that Kyon and Koizumi were talking about.

Given the trip to the island, I had assumed that it wasn't a regular cab, but someone from his organization.

According to the book (ch. 6), Koizumi just flags a taxi, presumably at random -- but I agree that the driver's lack of reaction seems strange. Either he really works for Koizumi's group, or he's just one of those cabbies who has seen so many strange things in his cab that he's stopped reacting to them.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe he thinks that they're otakus and they're playing some kind of "real life role playing game."
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd also vote for the cabbie probably being from the organization. It just seems like the sort of thing they'd do for one. Second, at least in the show, it's more than a little convenient Rolling Eyes in the middle of his sentence he just raises his hand and flags a taxi in the middle of a residential district. Maybe it's a little different in Japan, but I don't think I've EVER seen a taxi drive through my neighborhood looking for pax. It looked to me more like the taxi was just sitting there and he was signaling for it to move forward.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RoByte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Further evidence that the driver was a colleague, chapter 6 states that the driver drove off without charging any fare.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
That is quite possible, if not probable. Also, are they planning on releasing it the 4th (since it is Independence Day in the US)? If I were them, I could always make the excuse of July 4th to release it on Monday, to at least give another day leeway in case they announce that it's been licensed.
The problem is that Melancholy~ actually airs in Japan on Mondays, so it's quite amazing that we see releases less than 2 days later. EDIT: Maybe not, I guess I need to check more reliable websites Sad

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It finally occured to me what's so funny about Haruhi's revelation in episode 13(5). I had that same experience almost to the 'T', including age and the veritable crashing down of my percieved world, and I'm probably not the only one. In fact, the change in perception from being unique to being one of the masses is probably something nearly EVERYONE goes through and is definitely not "unique". It seems the ONLY thing unique about her is something she doesn't seem to have much of any control over or even be aware of.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
According to the "Newtype Database," Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu airs on Sundays at 12:00 AM on Chiba Terebi. In the North American timezone, it means it would air on Saturday between 8 AM - 12 PM (right with Saturday morning cartoons!), depending on which of the four timezones you reside in.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd stage geek-riots if they did on their headquarters (whoever it is). Otakon would be a better time. It's not that I don't want to buy it. I do. But I'm seriously afraid some punk jerk who doesn't care about the show will translate it badly (I'm looking at you Steven Foster...) and utterly ruin the incredible wit that pervades this show. At least I'll have the raw but I may need to translate it on my own *picks up a book of Learn-Japanese-Fast*
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
I'd stage geek-riots if they did on their headquarters (whoever it is). Otakon would be a better time. It's not that I don't want to buy it. I do. But I'm seriously afraid some punk jerk who doesn't care about the show will translate it badly (I'm looking at you Steven Foster...) and utterly ruin the incredible wit that pervades this show. At least I'll have the raw but I may need to translate it on my own *picks up a book of Learn-Japanese-Fast*
But why would they do that? When was the last time this happened to any anime? Ghost Stories doesn't count, since it was clearly a kiddy-type anime that was merely okay in Japanese, but much more interesting after the Fosterization, VA ad-libbing, and broad raunchification of the series. Besides, Steven Foster doesn't translate anything, to my knowledge -- he writes ADR scripts for English dubs and directs them. I'm sure the companies have heard a few things about this series, and know of its extreme popularity in Japan. And like Zac said in the Spring Preview, the fast-paced, witty dialogue would be at home in an American sitcom, making the transition from Japanese > English quite easy, without excessive editing needed. The only thing I'll be watching for on the DVDs is jokes stolen from the fansubs, though it's not likely to happen Anime smile
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
I know that logically. And I'm hoping they do steal some of the jokes and pacing from the DVD "Super-size me!" in particular was a funny comment. And the phrasing of many comments like "I'm begging you. Establish context before you start talking."

I'm primarily concerned because in the spread in Newtype they described the SOS Brigade's full name as "Haruhi Suzumiya's team for livening up the world". Pathetic translation and they called it "Club" not Brigade as in "Club Chief Haruhi Suzumiyu". That wrings it dry of all the character that Haruhi's personality instills it with. I do hope that spread isn't indicative of how it'll be translated for North America.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:02 am Reply with quote
I'd agree that this show could be ruined while still being completely faithful to the meaning of every line said. For the jokes to work, I think a LOT of effort will be needed to translate the words just right and get the VA done with the right timing and inflection. I'll be honest, there isn't a single studio I'm afraid of giving them this project, it's all of them.

However it's done it'll be good, but you're deceiving yourself I think if you underestimate the power of exact voice acting in a show like this and think it'll be easy to translate without losing a lot.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh they can do whatever they like with the dub. Not that I'll be watching it. The actors in Haruhi are so emotive for me that they can't be replaced. They are the heart of the storytelling. I respect the US actors who will be involved and wish them well but there's not a single female VA in the system I can imagine doing Haruhi and I know the guys will try to do Kyon too soft.

Crispin Freeman might have a chance in Kyon but it'd be pretty hard. But Haruhi is next to impossible for any female VA out there without sounding overly ditzy, over-acted or too old. Itsuki has a few potentials. But no one can replace Mikuru either. On the whole, I find almost all female voice acting in anime terribly weak. There's just something about the female tones between our culture and Japanese culture that doesn't mesh to be believeable.

It's the subtitling I'm concerned about wringing the subtlies of meaning which so far only fan-subber-type fans have understood and captured. I hardly expect a corporation (any corporation) to do anywhere close to the quality fans do.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
It's the subtitling I'm concerned about wringing the subtlies of meaning which so far only fan-subber-type fans have understood and captured. I hardly expect a corporation (any corporation) to do anywhere close to the quality fans do.
Well, to be fair, only fansubber-type fans have done any translation on it whatsoever...let's not criticize the US version until we actually see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 213