• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Please help a girl with some recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poison Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Hi. The thing is that I am kind of new in this whole world of anime. The problem is whenever I want to choose another anime to watch I have no clue [what to pick]. The anime that I like the most is the one that involves magic and romance or love. I was wondering if some[one] can help me by telling me a title of something. Thanks Razz.

By the way English is my second language.

If there is a cool anime that's not like romantic or have love themes, it's ok too.

Very Happy Be Happy

Poison Girl

[EDIT: Fixed up your opening post to have good spelling and grammar and a better title. Thanks for letting us know about your language in advance Very Happy. -TK]

Last edited by Poison Girl on Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Welcome!

Two things: What have you seen already & try here:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21419
Poison Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
I lkie the ones that are about magic and romance Embarassed yeah I now that kind of girlish. but I open to any genre as long as it is a good one. thnx
Some titles that I have seen:

D.N.Angel
Ah megami-sama
X
Elfen lied
Pretear
Fullmetal Panic
Fullmetal Alchemist
Jubei Chan
Tenjho Tenge
Tokio Underground
Basilisk

As far as I emember Smile

Last edited by Poison Girl on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sylex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
Try Fate/stay night for an anime with themes of magic and romance. However, it also has a great deal of action and blood. The series revolves around a boy, Emiya Shirou, who was taken in by a magician after being orphaned in a huge conflagration, and his involvement many years later as a "master" in a competition of sorts to obtain the Holy Grail. Each "master" is also a magician and is protected by a summoned servant who also happens to be some great mythological hero from any time period in the past or in the future. Shirou summons his own servant, but through the course of the series, strikes up a romance with her. The unusual aspect of this anime comes from the many oddities that arise from the true identities of these servants, and how they are represented in the anime.

If you don't mind huge amounts of innuendo, you could also try Maburaho, which is about one very weak and incompetent magician's romance with several girls who literally want to have babies with him because they believe he has dormant genes that will grant their children huge magical power. Very odd, but some find it enjoyable.

And judging by your listing of DN Angel, Elfen Lied, and X, I'm going to take a stab here that you are not bothered by a great deal of action and fighting in anime, so I'm going to go ahead and recommend Shakugan no Shana, which stars everyone's favorite bread-eating, monster-slicing, flame-haired red-hot-eyed hunter (did I get that right?). This series has themes of romance and magic mixed with some musings about existence and a healthy dose of fighting. Yuuji is a high school freshman who meets a red-haired girl carrying a sword called the Nietono no Shana. She has some superhuman powers and the ability to stop time. He names her Shana, and they go hunting for monsters that devour people's existence. They are joined by some eccentric characters who share the same occupation as Shana, and some humor and conflict ensues.

Hope that helped.

Edit: Oops, it seems that someone recommended Fate/stay night before I finished typing my message. That person didn't seem to say much about it though, so I hesitate to delete that part of my message completely. Let me know if that's necessary though.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Hopefully you will like these two:

Fushigi Yugi - This is about Mika Yuki and her friend Yui Hongo who go to the National Library, wind up in the rare book room reading a book and somehow both are sucked into the book. Yui makes it out of the book and for about 1/3 of the story is in a way the Narrator (the other 2/3s is Mika's brother, Keisuke). Mika stays behind and becomes the Priestess of Suzaku, who must make 3 wishes, hopefully using them to save the country against the evil clutches of another country. Part of the first half is Mika looking for and finding the Warriors to help her make the three wishes. The second half is much darker. Yui re-enters the book, becomes the Priestess for the enemy, becomes Mika's enemy, etc...Mika and her crew have to go against Yui and her group to get magical objects to help them summon the Gods because of problems in the first half of the story. It's very good, there is humor throughout, but there is also murder, rape and betrayals. Tissue recommended.

Ceres - Which was originated by the same Manga-ka as FY (Yuu Watase). This is about Aya Mikage. She turns 16 and her life goes to hell. She finds out that she has a seperate being inside of her who can take over her body and morph it. The being, Ceres, has a serious hatred for the Mikage family especially Aya's twin Aki, who has some serious...emotional/physical feelings towards Ceres and Aya. There is also Toya, Aya's love of her life, who also has his own issues towards the Mikage and Aya. Again, very good, humorous (you may like Alex Howell - anime fan boy ), there is also murder, rape and betrayals of family and trust. Tissue recommended also.

Trust me, if you stay with ANN not only will you find anime that you will LOVE, you'll go broke doing so! Laughing
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:55 am Reply with quote
I'm really suprised no one has suggested Magic Knights Rayearth or Vision of Escaflowne. Both have strong female protaganists, in MKR's case three heriones. Both have magic and romance as well as a great and dramatic story.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Mai-HiME, the ultimate fanservicey shounen mahou shoujo anime with action, magic, romance, angst and, of course, love triangles! It starts off light-hearted and fillerish (although still really good), and before long, turns into a "must watch the next episode!" with a much darker plot and setting. Not to mention a full-out epic soundtrack by the renowned Kajiura Yuki. You might also want to check out it's sequel (although actually not really a sequel), Mai-Otome.

Sylex wrote:
everyone's favorite bread-eating, monster-slicing, flame-haired red-hot-eyed hunter (did I get that right?).

In the avatar thread, I wrote:
our favorite Rinne-slicing, Melon Pan eating*, moelicious anime heroine...Shana!

Eh, close enough. Wink

How could you forget "moelicious"!?
Poison Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Magic Knights Rayearth this is really great, the ending was a little bittersweet but not bad, i have seen the serie and the OVAs. About Vision of Escaflowne I have no clue what it´s about.
thnx for posting
Poison Girl
yukifangirl81

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Poison Girl wrote:
Surprised hi, the thing is that I am kind of new in this whole world of anime. the problem is whenever I want to choose another anime to watch I have no clue, the anime that I like the most is the one that involves magic and romance or love. I was wondering if some can help me by giving me a clue by telling me a title of something. thnx Razz
by the way english is my second languaje.
if there is a cool anime that´s not like romantic or have love themes it´s ok too
Very Happy be happy

POISON GIRL

DNAngel. It's a fantasy, and it's got so many cute romantic things in it! I love that show with all my heart.

If you want something endearing, try Fruits Basket. That show, as well as the Manga is really good. Be warned, however, that you'll have a difficult time choosing a favorite character. They're all really good, and interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poison Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
DNAngel is damm good. in fact it is in my top 5 that one and the one call Pretear.
Maburaho is another that I saw.

Poison Girl
Poison Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
thnx for everyones help becouse of you now I know some series that I can watch, I have check all of the titles that you have wrote and most of them are really good.I hope you keep posting so that we can have a long good list of recomendations and that anyone that needs help like me can hvae a guide.
thnx again.

Poison Girl
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed i feel really sorry for the post that were delete. I apologyze. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Personally I haven't seen it but from what I know Revolutionary Girl Utena falls in line with magic and romance. A friend of a friend is really into that show. Also I believe anything done by CLAMP will also suit your tastes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Tenchi Muyo , Ryo-Ohki OVA1, 2, and soon 3. There's so much magic in it that it's taken over physical science, with romance to boot, and the cutest little spaceship you will ever set eye's on. Wink
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
While certainly not as deep or violent as Elfen Lied, if what's important to you is what you said, then I too will probably recommend almost anything by CLAMP. First thing that comes to mind is Angelic Layer. One of the cuter shows out there in the way it's done, but the show is about a girl who enters a fighting tournament, definately worth checking out I'd say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sylex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Free2slap, she also said she wanted magic. RahXephon has no magic.

On the other hand, I don't suppose you've seen Mahou Sensei Negima? It has romance, magic, and comedy in a very lighthearted package.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3