• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The corniest anime, in your opinion.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
We all see themes and prevailing messages in some anime where LOVE and FRIENDSHIP and yada yada are supposed to prevail over all and the characters all bond over it and we're all left will toothaches over how sweet it all is. SO, I come to get the opinions from anners on what they think are some of the corniest animes of all time.
Some examples
Digimon- All seasons- From the Mary Sueesqe nature of Kari and the relationships between the characters to the awful jokes peppered throughout the series, this show had more than enough cheese to full a fondue pot.
Case Closed- This show is a pretty good example of 90's shlock that I have so much affection for. As much affection as I have for it, it still has enough cheesy jokes, melodrama and "Ok, how the hell did they get away with that, I mean, that was totally obvious" storytelling, (and not to mention some pretty corny villains) to make this list.

Addendum- Although I know kids shows will probably take the majority of the thread, you're by no means limited to it.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't watch Ichigo Marshmellow, while it might not have attended to be it looks like an anime for 8 year olds. And this is from someone who doesn't mind watching old episodes of Pokemon!
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote
Honestly? Probably Naruto. It beats you over the head with its underdog theme and its flashbacks so much that it becomes cliché after a while. The problem is that none of it feels deep and instead comes across as woefully naïve.
jal90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
I watched Hanoka two days ago. Jesus Christ.

This is what happens when you get a collection of anime stereotypes put all together and forming an incoherent blob. I cringed every time it tried to get emotional. And what about the dialogues.

You know, I'm not bothered with the usual love & friendship tropes, but when they are done badly and just in such a coarse way like here... ugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1