• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bad series, great opening?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Just want to know what are your favorite examples of anime series that were really bad but had you fooled with great openings.

An example brought up often is the Record of the Lodoss War Series - with its beautiful opening set to a Yoko Kanno song - and how it got people so pumped up for a series that ending up falling on its face in every possible way.
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Dog Days'

That second season is one of the worst anime I have ever seen, but the opening is very catchy.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
To this day my favourite opening ever is Resublimity, the opening song to Kannazuki no Miko.

Show was terribad (but enjoyably so at least), but damn, that opening is awesome.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
I personally really like the opening theme for Chaos Head. More for the singer's voice than the animation (which is still pretty cool).

But that show was pretty darn weak.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
My mind goes instantly to Blood-C. It was so godawfully boring and absurd, but the opening was pretty cool with Saya getting all covered in blood, and the song was really catchy with the mix of Japanese, French and English.

Another one I recall is Guilty Crown. Watching it was such a chore, I had to force myself to sit through it. But I really liked most of the music, granted I really like ryo and supercell. The opening song started with a high note and a lot of intensity, I really liked it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
ShaolinWolf wrote:
An example brought up often is the Record of the Lodoss War Series - with its beautiful opening set to a Yoko Kanno song - and how it got people so pumped up for a series that ending up falling on its face in every possible way.

Fair warning, you will get a lot of dispute on the latter point. ROLW is considered one of the fantasy classics of anime.

As for series that have great openers to go with crappy content? I've run across a few over the years. I'm awfully tempted to say Phi-Brain, whose opener is way better than its content, but I think a better example would be Tokko. Strong opener, absolutely awful series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
ShaolinWolf wrote:

Fair warning, you will get a lot of dispute on the latter point. ROLW is considered one of the fantasy classics of anime.

I think because ShaolinWolf didn't quite make it clear that he was talking about the TV series (though the mention of Yoko Kanno does make it pretty clear), you've confused it with the OAV. I've never heard anyone refer to Record of Lodoss War TV as a classic, but I have heard lots of people say that the opening is great while the rest of the show is terrible. Personally, I agree that the opening is great, but I think the TV series is merely disappointing compared to the OAV, and not outright terrible.

As for a great opening from a show I thought was bad, I would say Shuffle from Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters. Some other things I saw on my music playlist are the openings of Saber Marionette J and Popotan, which are shows most people say are bad. However, I personally really liked Saber Marionette J, and also liked Popotan. I still thought I would throw those out there though, since I know a lot of people don't like those shows, but I like the openings. Popotan's opening is kind of weird, but I find it really catchy.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Yeah, but that's because of the OVA.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
While I wouldn't say that the show was really bad, the opening of Canaan is one of my favorites, while the show... borderline between meh and bad.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Some people might crucify me for this, but I wasnt really fond of Future Diary admittedly (I thought it started out cool, but it jumped the shark for me after awhile)

The first OP song was awesome tho. It was really fast paced with the song and the visuals were very mind-[expletive] to go with it all

As a side note, I liked the first 10 seconds, audio and visually, of the first ED song for future diary too. The shadowy figures of all the diary holders with these samples of of voices saying things like "The power to destroy" and "the worlds most shocking monsters!" to describe how messed up they all were was one of the coolest things I ever saw to open up an ED. When the actual song starts the song and visuals of the ED start though, I becomes bland and forgettable for me (at least comparatively speaking with the first part of the song)

EDIT: Were not allowed to swear on this site?? Huh. Well, noted

Last edited by publicenemy333 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Some people might crucify me for this, but I wasnt really fond of Future Diary admittedly (I thought it started out cool, but it jumped the shark for me after awhile)

The first OP song was awesome tho. It was really fast paced with the song and the visuals were very mind-[expletive] to go with it all

As a side note, I liked the first 10 seconds, audio and visually, of the first ED song for future diary too. The shadowy figures of all the diary holders with these samples of of voices saying things like "The power to destroy" and "the worlds most shocking monsters!" to describe how messed up they all were was one of the coolest things I ever saw to open up an ED. When the actual song starts the song and visuals of the ED start though, I becomes bland and forgettable for me (at least comparatively speaking with the first part of the song)

Oh yeah. the Future diary OPs (both of them) were great, but the show was horrible.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
I should know a few, I overthink OPs all the time. I often think good anime and opening go hand in hand.

I think 11 Eyes's OP was pretty nice, but the series really screwed itself over later on so just became a mess. I just checked the OP out again and I think it is pretty good, seems I ignore it for what the series became.

Dragon Crisis, though you will probably get a number of people who are quite fond of it, the series is pretty bad in general, except Rie. And really the OP was way too awesome for this series

And how could I forget Mayo Neko Overrun? Mediocre to bad by most standards, but few openings have been as catchy as Happy New Nyaa. Only example I can find is some mirrored job that makes it even more surreal.

The opening song to Shining Hearts- Shiawase no Pan was also pretty beautiful, with the series being a bit of a mess, and the ED was also super catchy, but looked somewhat.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quote
... it's hard to take some of these examples seriously. I can't call either Future Diary or Mayoi Neko Overrun bad. One's an unfocused mess involving a clash of sociopaths and the other's Future Diary. Here's some real examples of bad shows, good openers:

Demon King Daimo. It has an overcharged, exciting opening that's more cohesive than the show that owns it. Watch that, skip the show.

Hellsing the TV series. Now Hellsing isn't that bad a series, it's a bad adaptation which is a completely different thing. It's one of the greatest openers of all time though. You got to love piano abuse as a motif.

The World God Only Knows. English as a second language lyric, nice. The series is rather bland though, if it was only as epic as its opening...
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
Angel Links. I want my money back, but the theme songs were brilliant.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
... it's hard to take some of these examples seriously. I can't call either Future Diary or Mayoi Neko Overrun bad. One's an unfocused mess involving a clash of sociopaths and the other's Future Diary.

*claps* I have not even seen Future Diary (probably because I expected it to be bad) and I see the funny.

I Don't hate Mayoi Neko Overrun, I found it entertaining, but the reasons you mentions regardless made it pretty bad. There was an entire plot about spats vs bloomers for crying out loud, still funny. The OP was still the best thing, I think many considered it the best of the year or something.

And I considered Daimo also as the OP was ultimately better than the series deserves, but for some reason I was forgiving for some early aspects. Perhaps I am demon biased.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3