• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KAF and youtube mostly purged of their anime!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocklobster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
From keiichianimeforever.com:
CNet News ran an article about youTube.com, the source and host of all our anime, and another website that indexed episode content very similarly to what is done here. In response, YouTube made sure to have the "links dead".

The problem stems from the fact that this other website had an unauthorized copy of our index (which was produced entirely by ourselves) from a while back, and YouTube had direct access to all the episodes of this index. Because the bulk of the episode links have not changed between the old stolen index and that one we had more recently, the purge affected our index immensely. Only 39.2% of our index remains; 137 series were wiped.

It is unfortunate that we had to present this loss to our users in such a sudden and unexpected manner. It is to our dismay that we are no longer able to provide very much access to those who are unable to purchase or otherwise obtain anime due to economic and social reasons of their community or country. Fifty-percent of our visitors were foreign, with a large number of them visiting from developing countries where the availability of anime is less than plausible.

We will continue to run our service for as long as possible. We thank the community for their support.

So, for those of you who are watching KAF now, you might as well stop. It's just not worth it. We might as well start paying for anime or watching it on cable. DARN!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
We might as well start paying for anime or watching it on cable. DARN!!!!

Yeah, what a horrible thing this is.

Rolling Eyes
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
rocklobster wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I'd say it is. Not everyone can afford anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Meh, anyone who can't find a pirated file of ANYTHING fails the internet and needs to have their PC confiscated.

This would be like claiming that shutting down Napster actually stopped or curved music sharing. I have yet to have failed even once to find any desired form of media online for free so francly I'm not worried.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
Zac wrote:
rocklobster wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Anime is not some right that everyone has. There was a time in human history when if you couldn't pay for something, you simply went without it. It's unfortunate that some people have decided that this no longer applies.
adonais

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Meh, anyone who can't find a pirated file of ANYTHING fails the internet and needs to have their PC confiscated.

This would be like claiming that shutting down Napster actually stopped or curved music sharing. I have yet to have failed even once to find any desired form of media online for free so francly I'm not worried.

I honestly don't know what conclusions you draw from your own statement...but I thought it was interesting to hear the other day that RIAA believe that they have "contained" music file-sharing. According to the interview in USA Today, revenues from legal music downloads continue to grow, while file sharing has plateaued. Read into that what you like.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow..."[A place with a lot of stupid videos and a lot of pirated videos and not much else]" is a rather long name for a site. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
goins007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Well first off, it's understandable why they did it. They are hosting those videos (which is illegal to begin with since it's copy righted most of the time). And also thie bandwidth bill for the month runs in the millions last I heard, so I'd be looking for a way to cut some fat too.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
Zac wrote:
rocklobster wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Congratulations, you're ridiculous.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to the interview in USA Today, revenues from legal music downloads continue to grow, while file sharing has plateaued. Read into that what you like.

I think this is more indicative of just how much the issue was blown out of proportion by the RIAA a few years back and how the technology despide remaining as powerful as before was not the devastating industry crushing blow that these people argued it was.
goins007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The RIAA has done nothing. They've compounded thier own problem when they took down the the one web site known for Pirates. Not only was the site back up and running again the next day, but they have been getting shut down as of late because they have 3 times more people trying to connect to them. They can claim whatever victory they want, but they're just blowing smoke in their own faces.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:

Yarrr, now we can't be pirates anymore!

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1