• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon Barred from Bangladesh TV to Support Local Language

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ath

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
They're actually going through with this? Wow. I just came back from Bangladesh on holiday and Doraemon is huuuuuuuge there, all my cousins watch it and everything. Can't see what the point of banning it is though.

Last edited by Ath on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Okay. I've heard of anime being banned for dumb reasons, but this has to be the dumbest reason to ban an anime EVER. I mean, really! What's wrong with speaking in Hindi?! Why are people concerned about language of all things?!
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Can't they just dub it in Bengali Question
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Okay. I've heard of anime being banned for dumb reasons, but this has to be the dumbest reason to ban an anime EVER. I mean, really! What's wrong with speaking in Hindi?! Why are people concerned about language of all things?!

That's what I wonder Confused. I checked and I don't see any strain relation between Bangladesh and India and Japan, I didn't hear anything about any diplomatic tension between Bangladesh and Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ath

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Basically Doraemon is shown on Disney X D India, and they show it dubbed in Hindi...and it was pretty much ALL they showed 24/7. Since most satellite TV in Bangladesh is just formed of Indian channels with a few Bangladeshi terrestrial channels, Doraemon became super popular amongst the kids since there aren't any Bengali dubbed kids cartoons on the terrestrial Bengali channels from what I could tell (a hell of a lot of dramas and soap operas though, my Mum loves watching em even here in the UK Wink ) All my relatives out there who are kids watch Doraemon and quote from it and there's Doraemon merchandise everywhere. This all happened recently though, as when I was last there in 2006 this wasn't the case.

But yeah it's still a stupid decision from the government. Banning a popular show to "protect our culture" is really not going to do anything but upset kids.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes, of all the stupid reasons to ban anime, this is perhaps the dumbest one. If they don't want to influence the kids to speak Hindi, why not just dub it in Bengali? There's no reason to ban the anime at all.

There's a popular cartoon show from my neighboring country, and the kids started to speak in that neighboring country's language. There's no ban or something like that, even though both of the countries are not in good terms.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. If the country wants to preserve their culture which includes their language, then the show needs to be dubbed in Bengali.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

It may seem dumb to you, but to the Bengali and linguists like me, preserving a dying language is highly important and something that people can be highly invested in. It's a large part of culture, and I certainly understand the sentiment behind the ban. I may be excoriated for this but I fully support it now that I understand the reason for the ban.

Preserving culture is more important than consuming entertainment.

trunkschan90 wrote:

I'm not fully fluent in the situation but in cases like this Bengali is almost certainly stigmatized and considered "low-class" and therefore the show would not have a chance to get dubbed into it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, language politics can get pretty damn tricky (for example, one reason English was chosen to be one of India's official languages was because it wasn't connected to the caste system and thus wasn't as politically charged as the other languages/dialects they could have gone with). Presumably, Doraemon isn't the only thing affected by the movement to try and keep Bengali alive.
Majin69Mori

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

That's what I wonder Confused. I checked and I don't see any strain relation between Bangladesh and India and Japan, I didn't hear anything about any diplomatic tension between Bangladesh and Japan.

It may seem dumb, but the situation is pretty much what it is. The doraemon fan kids here in BD are worse than hardcore otakus fyi. Half the kids these days speak in a lame mixture of hindi and english, let alone Bengali -_- They're labeled as "smart" .... you dont know the horror...

And yeah Bangladesh and Japan doesnt have any strain between them, but india is another case... Check again xP
Theres been a lot of things going on between these two countries- since 1971 LOL

So I wholeheartedly agree with the ban :3 Justice wins Cool

Btw bangla dubs suck worse than anything, I dont think theres any pro voice actors in the country anyways. Glad it didn't go that way
joseikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Thats a really shame its not permited in bangladesh, doraemon reminds me my childhood, it was really great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I just feel bad for the kids, I mean they don't understand what's going on, all they know is their favorite TV show will no longer be on, I also feel bad for the parents that are going to have to deal with them.

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Sun May 05, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Who doesn't love government censorship? Rolling Eyes

After all the fuss (which has come to nothing) about trying to make natural-born US citizens learn a non-English 2nd language & immigrants to the US learn English as a 2nd language I'm mildly shocked & amused to learn of a nation that is blatantly proscribing something that might, possibly, as an unintended benefit create a bi-lingual nation, because it is feared to be too successful in teaching a 2nd language. I don't know about you guys, but I very much doubt the efficacy of this "insidious plot" to teach the Bangladesh kiddies Hindi via a cartoon: I've heard the weeaboos speaking to each other "in Japanese" for years now; I don't think the Bengali gov't has anything about which to worry. Cool

I'm just imagining the uproar that would result if the USA cracked down on Univision. Though come to think, we should have banned Teletubbies. Did no one think that while it might teach kids to learn to read English it might lead to them learning to speak gibberish, the show ultimately being a British plot to take back the US as a colony?! Shocked Very Happy
partysmores

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
UGHHHH. People will find any excuse to get anime off of television in every country. First that news story about School Rumble getting pulled off a kids TV channel after the parent of a 5-year-old flipped out (despite the fact that it aired at a time when 5-year-olds are supposed to be ASLEEP), and now this.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
I find it strange how a bunch of white americans here think that they have any right to comment on a situation happening in halfway actoss the world in asia.

You people do not know what it's like to be oppressed linguistically. Stop talking like you do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2