• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Reveals A Certain Scientific Railgun's English Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Alunimus wrote:
I hope Kuroko's voice in the dub will be as screechy as in original.

So wait, people now like that part of the character?

Satomi Arai is one of the most unique seiyuus imo and she does a great job with Kuroko.

On another note, just in time for season two when it hits this Spring?
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
pinder_2009 wrote:
ugh wouldn't Sis work better than sissy? and lol at misaka's va totally butchering the name.

Aside from that, with some getting used to, the dub voices don't seem all that bad.

Well, you also have to take into account the lip-flap. "Sis" wouldn't really cover the "onee-sama/san" lip-flap. And "Sister" is what Touma calls Index sometimes, so it would probably get confused with how she calls Misaka, since the "meaning" of the two is different. Hence, why they went with sissy.

I really don't get what the problem is really. Sissy is a relatively normal slag among English speakers. And before anyone says "They shouldnt be putting americanized slang in it in the first place!" ....think of how else they could have translated it, plus, most things in Japanese don't translate well in natural English.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Satomi Arai is one of the most unique seiyuus imo and she does a great job with Kuroko.

The whole, "this actor/actress is the greatest such and such imo" doesn't really help explain how many people had one kind of reaction with a character's voice and then that reaction got changed.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

I really don't get what the problem is really. Sissy is a relatively normal slag among English speakers.

But do we use 'sissy' in slang to demonstrate admiration and great respect for the the person we're speaking to? No. It's an insult. It's slang for coward, which doesn't apply at all to the bold Ace of Tokiwadai. It's completely the opposite of what Kuroko's use of the -sama honorific should display.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

I really don't get what the problem is really. Sissy is a relatively normal slag among English speakers.

But do we use 'sissy' in slang to demonstrate admiration and great respect for the the person we're speaking to? No. It's an insult. It's slang for coward, which doesn't apply at all to the bold Ace of Tokiwadai. It's completely the opposite of what Kuroko's use of the -sama honorific should display.

Only towards guys, not girls...

Toward females:
Quote:
Sissy (or sis) can also be a relationship nickname formed from sister, given to girls to indicate their role in the family, especially the oldest female sibling. It can also be applied to girls as a term of affection from friends who are not family members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sissy

Please do research before saying it's an insult for females.

Last edited by Kazemon15 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Sissy is effectly the same as Pansy: someone weak-willed, gutless, simpering, or pathetic. None of those things apply to Misaka.

I can understand that the writers seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place, but I wish they could've thought up a better alternative than that.

Despite what Kazemon15's post cited, I've *never* heard a girl (much less a woman) refer to another as "Sissy" as a term of affection. I suspect this is a localized cultural thing (sounds like something from the rural South), but if so, it's definitely not widespread and will sound wierd to most audiences, IMO -- certainly to me.

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yeah, Sissy is effectly the same as Pansy: someone weak-willed, gutless, simpering, or pathetic. None of those things apply to Misaka.

I can understand that the writers seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place, but I wish they could've thought up a better alternative than that.

Only towards guys. Depending on who you're directing it to, the meaning is entirely different. It's all a matter of how it's used.
TheMagickHat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Pretty typical Funi dub work, really. They always seem to have trouble with Japanese names. That being said, I've heard far worse (and I've heard far better from these guys, too), so I can see myself watching through the whole series. Just preordered both volumes, in fact.

That reminds me, I still need to pick up Index one of these days...
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Despite what Kazemon15's post cited, I've *never* heard a girl (much less a woman) refer to another as "Sissy" as a term of affection. I suspect this is a localized cultural thing (sounds like something from the rural South), but if so, it's definitely not widespread and will sound wierd to most audiences, IMO -- certainly to me.

My mom is from Illinios and she said it's common for people toward that area to call girls "sissy" out of affection. It's a regional thing. Plus, you have think remember that Funimation is Texas-based... so....yeah.
Kami-samaAraragi131

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't sound too bad. I've indeed heard far worse dubs in my day, but this one seems pretty decent, though the whole "sissy" thing does irk me quite a bit though. I'll just ignore it.
Anyways, why isn't it on blu-ray?(same goes for Index)
I'd love to have these on blu-ray, they just look and sound great. I'll hold onto my money for now and wait and see what happens, but if it's a no-go on the blu-ray than I'll just settle with the DVDs. No problem there for me.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Seeing people try and defend "Sissy" is hilarious.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Alunimus wrote:
I hope Kuroko's voice in the dub will be as screechy as in original.

So wait, people now like that part of the character?

Yes. That voice actress has some good comedic timing. She was great in Yuri Seijin Naoko-san. Definitely want to see her in more lead roles, along with Chiaki Omigawa.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Always good to see Alison Viktorin and Kara Edwards on cast lists. Cool

No real other surprises though.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Seeing people try and defend "Sissy" is hilarious.

Well, it is established slang in certain parts of the US.

I've heard a few times before (Texan here)
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation almost always put out good dubs. I'm sure this will be a good one as well. Sadly though, there are still gonna be f*cking skeptics and f*cjking dub-haters question the dub case BEFORE IT EVEN COMES OUT!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3