• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there a manga that has fighting/gore, but no fanservice?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnePieceFANatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
And if so, is it any good? (Although I doubt there is such a manga out there).
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
There's Hellsing, but I think the amount of fanservice there was discussed in a different thread.

Blade of the Immortal also comes to mind. It can be quite brutal at times. There is some nudity and adult material, but none of it is fan-service-y and every instance I can think of was relevant to the plot.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't even begin to list the number of titles that fit this quota, but more importantly, why is it an issue? Even if it's excessive, nudity shouldn't be something that lowers the value of a series.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I think excessive nudity can possibly lower the value of a series, because often in the midst of a plot full of action, boob-shots seem randomly thrown-in just to get the attention of someone picking up a magazine and flipping through it, unsure if they want to buy it or not. Quite often it takes away from the story/mood/pacing/whatever. Lone Wolf and Cub, as I recall, had very, very little fanservice. But I only read the first volume or two, so...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
I think excessive nudity can possibly lower the value of a series, because often in the midst of a plot full of action, boob-shots seem randomly thrown-in just to get the attention of someone picking up a magazine and flipping through it, unsure if they want to buy it or not. Quite often it takes away from the story/mood/pacing/whatever. Lone Wolf and Cub, as I recall, had very, very little fanservice. But I only read the first volume or two, so...

That raises an interesting issue on what can be called fanservice, as I don't nessisarily think all nudity can be considered fanservice. In LWaC, the nudity is mostly used to show the brutality of the enviroment, though in some cases it does get excessive. In a story like Believers which often features whole chapters devoted to sex scenes, nudity makes sense because it plays heavily into the plot. Even if Yamamoto could have toned down some scenes, they don't hurt the exellent story.
On the other hand, there's Blade of the Immortal, which features no explicit nude scenes (all parts are covered up). Alot of people have asked why. After all, the manga does deal with rape in a very in-your-face manner, and the author obviously doesn't have a moral problem with nudity (see Samura's numerous erotic pics). My guess is that Samura feels nudity would be voyaristic; that during the very difficult rape of a major character, nudity would somehow take away from the emotional impact.
I don't think either examples are nessisarily wrong. There are many series with simply too much fanservice that has no place in the story. But done right, I don't have any problem with a little T&A.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1