• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
any more like love hina

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
well im trying to find another anime/manga like love hina cos i love animes/manga like love hina its soooo good and exciting could some poeple tell me some more? please ty
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Why not try another Ken Akamatsu series, Mahou Sensei Negima? The best analogy I could make for the show would be "What would happen if Harry Potter met Love Hina".
patch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually half-way though Love Hina right now and am really enjoying it also Smile

It's a very light-hearted and fun series with romantic overtones with a fair amount of fan service -- a big depature from the usual more mature/action oriented series that I normally watch. I'm also curious too what other series are similar to this. Is the one guy-many girls a common genre?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:

Is the one guy-many girls a common genre?

Surprisingly, no; truthfully, the series that first created the harem genre, Tenchi Muyo, is simply well known. As such, many people consider almost all harem anime/manga to be doppelgangers of Tenchi; while that is an accurate assessment, in a sense, many stories, like Love Hina, actually improve upon the Tenchi model.

Akamatsu is famous for redefining the harem genre; even before he wrote/illustrated Love Hina and Negima!, his first serialized work, A.I. I Love You, was an important precursor and influence for Tenchi, though Chobits borrows an extensive amount more story from A.I. I Love You than Tenchi did.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Tenchi Muyo was the first ever harem Anime. Tenchi in Tokyo was simply a low-production alternate timeline.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
First off, I find it HIGHLY insulting that someone actually considers one of Akamatsu's train wrecks superior to Masaki Kajishima's distinguished classic OAV. Akamatsu wrote a poor slapstick comedy series with "romantic" window dressing that resulted in one of anime's least believable couples.

Now that I have that out of the way, quick history lesson. Tenchi Muyo, while it popularized the romantic comedy genre and certainly the "harem" subset, it was hardly the first nor the first to achieve wild success. In fact, the generally accepted originator of the genre is Rumiko Takahashi's uproarious Urasei Yatsura.

It was the infamously humorous yet touching love triangle of the hopeless lech, Ataru, his on-again, off-again, long suffering girlfriend Shinobu, and - most memorable of all - the rambunctious alien princess Lum, that set off the anime comedy revolution of the late 80's, early 90's, that culminated in 1992's Tenchi Muyo and Oh! My Goddess OAV's.

Both of which, by the way, subsequently set the bar by which all romantic comedies were judged later. Against these yardsticks, Ken Akamatsu has done NOTHING that measures up, especially not Love Hina.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
First off, I find it HIGHLY insulting that someone actually considers one of Akamatsu's train wrecks superior to Masaki Kajishima's distinguished classic OAV. Akamatsu wrote a poor slapstick comedy series with "romantic" window dressing that resulted in one of anime's least believable couples.

I'm flattered.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:

Now that I have that out of the way, quick history lesson. Tenchi Muyo, while it popularized the romantic comedy genre and certainly the "harem" subset, it was hardly the first nor the first to achieve wild success. In fact, the generally accepted originator of the genre is Rumiko Takahashi's uproarious Urasei Yatsura.

Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 can be credited with creating the prototypical formula for the "harem genre", but those shows did not (together or individually) reach the broad demographic as our American brodcast of Tenchi did, nor did they popularize the dynamic five-attribute heuristic to distinguish the girls.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:

Both of which, by the way, subsequently set the bar by which all romantic comedies were judged later. Against these yardsticks, Ken Akamatsu has done NOTHING that measures up, especially not Love Hina.

While many would agree the statement "innovation > interpretation", by that vein all of Osamu Tesuka's work always has, and will, be superior to any descendant Anime or Manga. Is that truely the case?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

While many would agree the statement "innovation > interpretation", by that vein all of Osamu Tesuka's work always has, and will, be superior to any descendant Anime or Manga. Is that truely the case?

Have you read Buddha, Phoenix or even Adolf? If so, those are classic and true for most cases.

I'm sorry I have to agree with Craeyst Raygal on this one. Love Hina was pure slapstick fun, and I personally felt it is no where as good as Tenchi Muyo. And there are a lot of harem series out there like Happy Lesson and Maburaho and so on.

kha wrote:
well im trying to find another anime/manga like love hina cos i love animes/manga like love hina its soooo good and exciting could some poeple tell me some more? please ty

Try searching the word harem anime in wikipedia for a list.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Do your homework, sonny jim, because A.I. Love You was released as a manga first in 1994. As a manga, it's two years NEWER than the first Tenchi OAV, never you mind the novels Kajishima wrote prior to beginning work on the OAV.

On top of that, we can go back further to Video Girl Ai in 1989, or Oh! My Goddess which kicked off in the same year.

Ken Akamatsu is not, will not, nor shall ever be an innovator in anime or manga.

But that's hardly my argument against the schmuck.

Love Hina, which you rather flippantly call a "redefining" work, is tripe from page one. While one could conceivably call the side humor "unique" or "amusingly absurd", the character humor is flat slapstick that was old by the third season of the Dick Van Dyke Show.

Now, keep in mind that Love Hina is a ROMANTIC COMEDY, meaning that there are two qualifiers it's to be judged against.

So then, we must look at the NONEXISTANT romance in this series.

Romance, in its several definitions, is described as "an ardent emotional attachment or involvement between two people". By using this definition to approach Love Hina's star "couple" - Keitaro Urashima and Naru Narusegawa, we see a very VERY poorly thought out romance.

The story plays out through mind-numbingly rote "love/hate" and continual misunderstandings that, honestly, leave one wondering if Naru is suffering from Alzheimers. The lack of rational behavior, coupled with the unimaginative concept of the relationship, makes for a very poor lead couple.

Strike One.

So, then, as this is a "harem" series, we must have conflict between Naru and other girls within the ersatz harem. Unfortunately, Akamatsu provides no such rival, as the story plays between Naru's revulsion at Keitaro, and her own repressed "affection". His one attempt at a rival, Mutsumi, is removed from contention within a volume, allowing the plodding love/hate to continue.

Strike Two.

Without a rivalry or true romance, Akamatsu's already swimming upstream, but varied and interesting characters can frequently save a trainwreck story (just ask anyone who reads Yuu Watase's work). Unfortunately, Akamatsu creates ultimately forgettable female leads who play too well to the firmly established "Tenchi" archetypes.

Which, by the way, are only variations on the classic 70's "Hero Team" archetypes like those of Gatchman.

Strike Three.

Yes, innovation > interpretation is a convenient "this is better than that" cop out, but it was hardly mine. I've been at this far too long to let myself fall into that trap.

Ken Akamatsu's influence on the romantic comedy genre has been a negative one, especially as his work has grown popular. Uninspired slapstick saddled with repetitive and angsty tripe for romance has poisoned this once thriving genre, and the trend has produced such forgettables as DearS and Hanaukyo Maid Team.

It was my sincere hope that with the re-emergence of Masaki Kajishima at the helm of the Tenchi franchise, and a fresh Oh! My Goddess TV series, that the genre would right itself and the heydey of 1992 would return. It's unfortunate that this remains unlikely, and that the genre will continue lumbering into irrelevance.

Thankfully, I'll still be able to purchase Tenchi, OMG, Maison Ikkoku, and Urasei Yatsura DVD's long after the fall.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Not that it is anything like, or as good, but where would you put Billy Wilder's "Some Like it Hot.?" Just in the comedy category? It could, were it an anime, be considered harem anime, becuase Jack, and Tony are traveling in a women's orchestra.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Some Like it Hot is really a phenomeonal comedy, but I have to admit it comes up a little short in the romance department. Even still, it's one of the great yardsticks of romantic comedy in cinema, and it's a shame it's one of Marylin's last movies because she was truly beginning to show range.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Have you read Buddha, Phoenix or even Adolf? If so, those are classic and true for most cases.

I'm not a fan of Tesuka.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Do your homework, sonny jim, because A.I. Love You was released as a manga first in 1994. As a manga, it's two years NEWER than the first Tenchi OAV, never you mind the novels Kajishima wrote prior to beginning work on the OAV.

Sorry about that.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:

Ken Akamatsu is not, will not, nor shall ever be an innovator in anime or manga.

Akamatsu, if anything, was an interpreter, not an innovator; my analogy was that interpreters are sometimes more famous/successful than innovators, of which men like Walt Disney, Henry Ford, Bill Gates and Sam Walton are the most well known.

Tenchi was innovative in that it firmly created the "harem anime" by writing the archetype rules. Though I found Tenchi to be entertaining (especially Tenchi Universe, though I am frequently berated for favouring it!), I felt the Love Hina manga offered an interesting and somewhat satisfying take on what Tenchi established.

Love Hina never sought to redefine any established norm of manga (indeed, it could be even seen as a parody); as with everything we read, it's primary focus was entertain. If Love Hina "cheapened" the harem genre environment, that would be because readers found LH to be more entertaining than Tenchi; in the end, that's all that really matters.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I'm not a fan of Tesuka.

That's bloody obvious.

Quote:

If Love Hina "cheapened" the harem genre environment, that would be because readers found LH to be more entertaining than Tenchi; in the end, that's all that really matters.

I could point out the obvious backtrack in your statement, considering that you state that Tenchi's immense popularity is what cements its importance in anime's history, and then attempt to state that readers/viewers in larger numbers preferred Love Hina to the Tenchi franchise.

However, I think I'll stick to the factual. Tenchi was NOT an innovative series as far as the concept of a multi-woman romantic comedy. In fact, Kajishima employed the Hero Team cast layout popularized by series like Gatchaman in the 70's.

The reason why Tenchi Muyo stands the test of time is in its quality sci-fi and character writing. In reality, Kajishima was a sci-fi author shaped by his adoration of Star Wars and his predecessors. On doesn't have to dig far to see Heinlein, Asimov, Herbert, and Matsumoto all making appearances in Kajishima's own world. He crafts a world that's detailed yet expansive, and gives it a multitude of facets that are delightful to explore.

Even more importantly, Masaki Kajishima's characters are not the one-note props that are often mimicked in lesser series. In fact, there's not one character in the Tenchi OAV cast without a fully-realized personality, complete with situational reasoning and textured emotional bases. I can think of only two sets of contemporarys, and only (potentially) one set of successors who can honestly make that claim.

Nothing Ken Akamatsu has created is amongst that group. My statement on the decay that's happened since Love Hina became popular is in regards to the ART of the genre - the settings and characters.

In romantic comedy, the story is a given: two (or more) people meet, have a conflicted relationship, life goes on. So, the trick is to make sure that the people and relationship are compelling. Repetitive, rote, crass idiocy - which is about all Ken Akamatsu succeeds at - FAILS to meet any of that criteria and should be regarded as the drek it is. Innovation, interpretation, or whatever else title you want to try and throw at the schmuck to paint him in a favorable light, he's still the Jerry Bruckheimer of anime romantic comedy.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
[on-topic]
One similar series is Ai yori aoshi--it has 1 guy + many girls living in a house, with one girl having a more "special" romantic bond with the male lead, and most of the other girls make a play at him.

Girls Bravo is even more lacking in the romance than Love Hina is, but as an etchi, fanservicey comedy, it's not half bad. 1 wimpy guy + multiple goodlooking, well-endowed females + a bit of magic, action, aliens, and so on.

There's one coming out in fansubs called Amaenaide yo!!, which has 1 guy + many girls living together...the difference is that they're Buddhist monks-in-training at a temple, and most of the episodes are concerned with ghosts, demons, exorcisms; these exorcisms are helped by the guy's special spirit powers, which happen to be activated when he experiences worldly desire. So as you might expect, there's lots of fanservice, often intentionally done by the girls, to awaken these powers.
[/on-topic]
[off-topic]
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
His one attempt at a rival, Mutsumi, is removed from contention within a volume, allowing the plodding love/hate to continue.

What about Kanako?

Wow, I didn't expect this kind of discussion when I looked at the thread title. Imho, Ken Akamatsu isn't really in the business of making romantic comedies like Tenchi Muyo or Urusei Yatsura...he's out to tell etchi, fanservicey harem stories with a hint of romance, combined with magic/fantasy/adventure to further pull in the shounen crowd. Love Hina has the swords, the military weapons, and the mechs, and later volumes like 12-13 expand the "action" aspect even more. Negima, aside from the magician main character, has just about every shounen favorite character type in existance...robots, ninja, samurai, kung fu fighters, vampires, ghosts, you name it, plus the usual female character types like the violent one, the shy one, the rich one, etc.

As for A.I. Love You...yeah, it wasn't too great, but I liked it for what it was: a short "fantasy girlfriend" story with some romance, but an emphasis on the sci-fi / computer / magical elements. However, after I saw the Ah! My Goddess OVAs, I couldn't help but think "rip-off!" There's no way that one can't see the enormous overlap between Belldandy, Uld, and Skuld, and 30, 20, and 40, respectively.

I'll confess my ignorance: I haven't seen many of these classic series like Tenchi, Ranma, Urusei Yatsura, or Gatchaman, simply because of their length (Probably the only 100+ episode series I'll ever watch are Sailor Moon, Kodocha, and maybe Naruto), so I'm not educated about the origins of the genre. However, I would like to know one thing: What are the "5 basic types" used in Gatchaman, Tenchi, Love Hina, and other series? I could venture guesses, but it seems that other Craeyst Raygal knows them pretty well, so why risk being more ignorant than I already am? Cool
kha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
thank you Zalis116 and some other people for some other ideas
i'll watch them all!
anyways i still love, love hina! so i dont care if one is made before another one or blah blah blah it depens on hwat the person opinion is on something and you lot type too much my eyes hurt! and what are you lot talking about i dont understand! lets talk about games i more understand lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2