• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Opinions of The Legend of Black Heaven

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesjmiller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
Hello. I keep seeing the (The) Legend of Black Heaven box set places and am intrigued by it. I was hoping anyone who's seen it can give me their opinion on it. I skimmed through the animeondvd reviews, which were very favourable, but wanted to avoid spoilers.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on it. One favor though, please try to avoid spoilers, and if it isn't too much trouble, let me know a few of your favorites for a sense of what you're into. I'm sorry to ask for so much, its just that I'm already up to my neck in anime I'd love to see, so I'd like a good sense of what you think based on your tastes too.
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote
Here is a quick and easy way to find out if you would enjoy Black Heaven. Just look and read the following questions, answering each one with a simple Yes or No, and then base your decision on the majority of your answers. Ready? So lets go!

1. Do you enjoy Heavy Metal/Hard Rock/Rock n` Roll?
Are you intruigued by Jimmy Hendrix`s usage of the guitar, do you have no problem of labeling him as the God of Rock? Did you love Stairway to Heaven and own at least one album by either Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden or "The Motorcity madman" (if you know who I`m talking about). (Yes - 1 point, No - 0 points)

2. Do you enjoy tales of self realisation, amidts a world of comformity? All with a nice touch of Slice of Life. Or rather, finding plausibility in a fictional (to the core) setting. (Yes - 1 point, No - 0 points)

3. Do you have something againts non sensical plots, the way of FLCL for example (not to THAT degree but still)? Can you turn a blind eye on silly ideas just for the sake of enjoying a good story? (Yes - 0 points, No - 1 point)

4. Are you turned away by non canonical character/animation style. (Yes - 0 points, No - 1 point).

0 - This anime is definetely NOT for you.
1 - You may find something you like about this, but do yourself a favor and look for something else, as I am sure you would overally disliek Black Heaven.
2 - This is the borderline. There is no way of knowing how you would react to BH. Maybe you wont like the animation and love the music (maybe vice versa). It is hard to tell really.
3 - You should definitely give this anime a chance. I am sure it will leave a positive imprint on your mind.
4 - No really? 4?! That means you already know BH. Razz
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
The Legend of Black Heaven has its highs and lows. It's got a good sense of humor and it uses hair metal music really well. Unfortunately, the artwork and animation are horrible, to say the least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
jamesjmiller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
The animation is horrible? Really? I may have low standards or what little I could find wasn't that bad.

Damn. Really?

And thank you Arkard. U appreciate your help, and I will keep all of that in mind.
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Now see, this is what I am talking about in the fourth point.
IMO the animation isn`t horrible per se. It is just different. I heard alot of people bitching at the animation style in SaiKano, which I happen to enjoy, just because it was "non canonical", different than most anime. Black Heaven offers a different visual experience with its animation. Give it a chance.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I bought these about a month ago and I haven't even watched them yet. Although I like the opening song, it's a song by either a British group or an American group, which is unusual.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Arkard is right about the series being a different experience. However, I also thought the animation was subpar. I bought the boxset a while back and I still haven't finished it (2 DVDs left). However I do like the idea of the story, a guy who essentially lived a rock n roll fantasy is forced to live a normal 9-5 life. Then a mysterious woman gives him the opportunity to relive his glory days. I think the show's got heart. Although I do think you have to have a certain proclivity to rock music. It's an enjoyable series but don't get your expectations up. To me its a casual and relaxing feel good type of show. Nice soundtrack too.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
You know what? I bought these about a month ago and I haven't even watched them yet. Although I like the opening song, it's a song by either a British group or an American group, which is unusual.

John Sykes, the musician who does the music, is British. Michael Schenker the musician that Oji Tanaka, the main character in the anime, is a fan of is German. I really liked this anime a lot mostly because I've seen both of these musicians in concert and I'm a fan of metal music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1