• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How long is forever?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist ends soon. Yeah, I know, it was short. 51 episodes in total. Scrapped Princess has a total of 31 episodes. Fruits Basket, I believe it had 26 episodes. S-CRY-ed had 26 as well. These shows were all so cool (except for Fruits Basket), and I wished they would last longer. It ends so quickly, you wish it would have been longer.

One Piece has so far 258, and is still going. Naruto has 178, and is still going. These are pretty good lengths. But, it would be better for One Piece to end where it is.

Case Closed rocked. But, it was still over 400 episodes. Don't you think an anime can get boring if it lasts so long?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Scrapped princess? It only has 24 episodes.

Anyway, I love long anime, for what it gives. DBZ, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, they're long so I can see a bunch of really cool fights. Other than that, I don't like very long anime. FMA had a lot of stuff in it so it worked well. However, I don't want 50+ episodes of Samurai Champloo or 100+ episodes of Trigun. I've seen the first 100 episodes or so of Inuyasha. I like the show, I really do, but it's just too long with hardly any substance in it. They could've gutted a lot of the show.

I think keeping an anime going so long can only be done with episodic/fighting anime. Either will get boring given enough time though.
Angelcake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there's a very famous comedy anime running in Japan, called Sazae-san, that's been on the air since October, 1969. Obviously, its the single longest anime in existence.

Of course, it falls in the 'episodic' category that Vortextk pointed out.....but still, that's a LONG time to be on television, by ANY standards.
bReAkDoWn^RT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Well I would assume that all anime has to end eventually. Your interest in it will probably slow down as time keeps going. Depends on the person
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I think the length of a show really has to depend on the story. If a show goes longer than the story, it'll be boring. However, if a show has a long story, and is meant to be that way, it'll be fun.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Another thing could be how ratings are doing when they show it. Like I heard Berserk season 1 didn't do too well ratings wise. Then again, Inuyasha was going for a while like Conan but after about four or five seasons they ended the show. spoiler[I think Kagura died at the end.]
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
I think the length of a show really has to depend on the story. If a show goes longer than the story, it'll be boring. However, if a show has a long story, and is meant to be that way, it'll be fun.

I think you are right. One Piece is a show about a pirates search for a treasure (duh), so wouldn't you expect 100 episodes oly or something like that? I think Rurouni Kenshin is one of the best animes because there was 95 episodes, which is just about right for a guy who spends a short amount of time visiting the Kasshin Dojo. (By the way, do you think they will make a movie of "Yahiko no Sakabato" [the sequel to Rurouni Kenshin]?)
ExiledAngel13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
well yeah it can get real boring, that is if they keep coming up with new stories for thier series that is to keep the viewers guessing
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 wrote:
One Piece has so far 258, and is still going. Naruto has 178, and is still going. These are pretty good lengths. But, it would be better for One Piece to end where it is.

Don't you think an anime can get boring if it lasts so long?

An anime can get boring if the source material/anime staff can't keep it good. This is regardless of how long something is, since some anime series can't keep an interesting story together for 7 episodes, while there are those that are flourishing 258 episodes later. I understand what you're trying to say, but I'd say that One Piece is a poor example of something of long length being boring, since it's better at episode 258 than it's ever been, and will only get better for at least the next 20-30 episodes.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I actually prefer the 13 or 26 episode anime mostly, because I find that they are able to keep their story going AND properly end it. If a series has more than 100 episodes, I usually will not even bother with it, because it's just too much. The only series that long I really like is Sailor Moon, but that series has 5 different seasons of sorts, which each tell their own story, so you can watch them independently (which is why I've seen all of S and Stars, but none of SuperS and only parts of the English dub for Classic or R).
Gerinis Infinity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed longer anime seems to have premises, not stories necessarily. Such as Inuyasha has the premise that they need to get the Shikon jewl back, but there are lots of little stories within the serise about getting it back.

Something like Blue Gender, however, which only had 26 episodes, had a story; that they needed to rid the Earth of the Blue. I like the shorter serise better becasue the plot is more focused.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Angelcake wrote:
Actually, there's a very famous comedy anime running in Japan, called Sazae-san, that's been on the air since October, 1969. Obviously, its the single longest anime in existence.

Sazae-san is still on the air?! Holy mac... I watched that when I was a kid in Japan about 33 years ago. I knew Hasegawa Machiko, the creator of the original comic strip had passed away some time ago. Just checked in the ANN encyclopedia. Date of death is given as being May 27 1992.
ananda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I actually prefer the 13 or 26 episode anime mostly, because I find that they are able to keep their story going AND properly end it. If a series has more than 100 episodes, I usually will not even bother with it, because it's just too much.

That's exactly how I see it as well.

I don’t like Anime Series were they basically go on forever.
I’m very interested in the Story; I always like to know how it all ends too and I think a 26 episode Series should be more then enough to not only tell a great story but also to build some good character developments as well among other things.
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:25 am Reply with quote
There's a jokey rule of thumb that says when the episode count reaches the 70s even the best animes start to suck. Best just to pull the plug and spare millions of fans the unsightly spectacle of a show tottering about on its last legs.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
There's a jokey rule of thumb that says when the episode count reaches the 70s even the best animes start to suck. Best just to pull the plug and spare millions of fans the unsightly spectacle of a show tottering about on its last legs.

Not fully true. If you've ever seen Zatch Bell, it has 150 episodes and 2 movies. The good thing about it is the story. Zatch must beat 99 other mamodos on earth to become King of the Mamodo World. And he doesn't fight a mamodo every episode, so there has to be over 100 episodes. It has a good story line because it's not always FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! They throw in some comedy as well. (If you want to see a spoiler on Zatch Bell, respond "Yes, I would like to see the spoiler!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2