• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Ghost in the Shell Related Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satanachia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Satanachia wrote:
holy they're monthly. didn't know that, crap i need to get some then.

no?

well i dont go out that much to check on such things so i wouldnt know. plus idk if it makes a difference if i live in canada or the us for release dates.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote
I find the series to be a lot more interesting and compelling than the movies.

The first movie I feel is rather disappointing and overrated by itself. Its more like a lengthy OVA than a feature. The second movie fixed this some and gave us a much better, superior movie all around. It was a more complete cinematic experience.

The series lets us get to know and learn about the characters a lot more, something the movies never really did.

Plus the movies don't have tachikomas.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
I find the series to be a lot more interesting and compelling than the movies.

The first movie I feel is rather disappointing and overrated by itself. Its more like a lengthy OVA than a feature. The second movie fixed this some and gave us a much better, superior movie all around. It was a more complete cinematic experience.

I think it's more like the other way around. Personally, Innocence was hyped way too much, and the entire movie just strunk you along with awsome cinematography and what not, but the ending was just... foreshadowed up the wazoo and lame. :S

Quote:
The series lets us get to know and learn about the characters a lot more, something the movies never really did.

Eh... the "past" in regards to the characters was all to labored really... that and we really didn't see that much. I mean, Saito's past was just so lame... someone who is picking off your team members is just recuited on the spot when you defeat them? Come on... :/

Quote:

No, if we have another series now we won't have tachikomas... they'll be 'Uchikoma' now... D:
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:37 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:

Yeah, I hate those things...

That would just not fit in the movies. They are very dark, and Tachikomas are just too happy and bright, just like kids... Smile
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
I hope that it's another season of GitS: SAC. That would mean more Yoko Kanno music, & more of Koichi Yamadera as Togusa! Very Happy

Tammy
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, VileOne, you do need to take into consideration that the movies weren't really "Ghost in the Shell" per se, but instead "Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell".

Much in the way that Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner" isn't 100% "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick.

Oshii took Masamune Shirow's 80's cyberpunk staple manga and rearranged it to emphasize philosophies and statements that weren't critical to the original work. The characters, in the movie, became vehicles for Oshii's perception of Shirow's message, instead of remaining the characters Shirow created.

Taken on their own, the movies stand as phenomeonal pieces of arthouse anime, and "Ghost in the Shell" remains a landmark in the direction, cinematography, and mass appeal of anime, potentially only equalled in the modern era by "Akira" and "Princess Mononoke".

Oh, and Deacon Blues, kudos for taking the name of a Steely Dan song, though I'm more partial to Kid Charlemagne, myself. Wink
red stranger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
tlsmith1963 wrote:
...more of Koichi Yamadera as Togusa! Very Happy
And Crispin Freeman too. Smile

I'm glad that they are doing more GITS anime, but I hope its with the TV series staff, rather than the movie staff.

Seeing a SAC style adaptation of the manga would be nice, though the Puppet Master story isn't really a "Stand Alone Complex". Though they could always change the name and make it an OVA....
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:

I think it's more like the other way around. Personally, Innocence was hyped way too much, and the entire movie just strunk you along with awesome cinematography and what not, but the ending was just... foreshadowed up the wazoo and lame. :S

I don't see what was lame about it. The ending was fantastic and I was really into Batou and Togusa on the job doing detective work. Something I don't feel they did enough of in the first movie. The second movie just felt like a full movie to me. The first didn't.

Quote:

Eh... the "past" in regards to the characters was all to labored really... that and we really didn't see that much. I mean, Saito's past was just so lame... someone who is picking off your team members is just recuited on the spot when you defeat them? Come on... :/

Hey, if someone was that good, you'd want them on your side.

I'm just pointing out, the series gave us great character development and insight we never got in the movies. Plus, tons more sexual tension between Batou and the Major you could cut with a knife. Plus the sub-plot with the tachikomas and their beautiful moment in episode 25.

Quote:

Yeah, I hate those things...

That would just not fit in the movies. They are very dark, and Tachikomas are just too happy and bright, just like kids...

Happy and bright is not how I'd use to describe the last stand of the Tachikomas at all. How about poignant, tragic, emotional, raw, and beautiful?

They added a great element to the series. Featured characters that were really just artificial machines, that eventually developed their own personalities and desires.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Satanachia wrote:
plus idk if it makes a difference if i live in canada or the us for release dates.

No, it won't.
gundamfan80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
my mouth is already watering at the idea of getting more GITS. I really hope it is a 3rd season of SAC, that show just keeps getting better as it goes along.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2