• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
princess mononoke?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsune487

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:56 pm Reply with quote
is princess mononoke a good movie? i dont know if i should buy it please tell me! Laughing
FlimJam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:13 pm Reply with quote
kitsune487 wrote:
is princess mononoke a good movie? i dont know if i should buy it please tell me! Laughing

It's hard to say. It depends what kind of shows/themes you like. I thought it was really good and bought it.
kitsune487

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ok thnx!
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really like it at all, but thats just me. It just wasent my style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kitsune487

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:49 pm Reply with quote
what was wrong with it?
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:03 pm Reply with quote
There are some really good scenes but its long and it drags a bit in the middle. I liked it a lot, though.
kitsune487

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:06 pm Reply with quote
is there any romance in it? i like a sappy story every once in a while!
Anlushac11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Cool

I really liked it and thought the animation quality was superb. IMHO it ranks story wise in same category as Nausicaa and Laputa Castle In The Sky.
Otaku_No_Video

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the movie 3 times I just haven't gotten aroud to buying it, I've been tied up with Saliormoon 1st season uncut boxset and the Pioneer DVD's. Crying or Very sad
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Myazaki (sp?) at his finest hour.

The only anime movie in my Top 10 List of Favorite Movies.

Probably the most intelligent environmental movie ever made, awesome animation, soaring soundtrack, epic storyline... What's not to like?
kitsune487

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:29 pm Reply with quote
ok thnx!
Pitargo Nats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:38 pm Reply with quote
It's well worth the effort to watch it at least once. It definitely rates up there as one of the best animated movies ever made (It's rated #4 at the Internet Movie Data Base (http://us.imdb.com/Charts/Votes/animation). I would heavily recommend it. It is yet another masterpiece from Miyazaki!
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Whether you hate it, like it, or like me become obsessed with it; its mandatory viewing for any fan of anime.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:17 am Reply with quote
Meh... There are bits that impressed me, and I do have it on DVD, but much of the film does drag, and watching it all in one sitting without hitting "Skip" or "Forward" is quite the endurance test for me. It's really not my bag... the only Miyazaki films I get giddy about are Kiki's Delivery Service and, to a lesser degree, My Neighbour Totoro (and, maybe, Porco Rosso, but it's been too long since I've seen that one for me to say for certain), and, as some people on the Miyazaki Mailing List apparently remember (I was quite flattered), I also like Whisper of the Heart almost as much as Kiki's Delivery Service, but that's a Kondo production...

I did this review of Princess Mononoke for the Concordia University Concordian in November 1999. I actually had a couple of more nice things to say, but they were edited out, and the original WORD file is on my old computer.

Hmm... you know... for languidly-paced manga/anime with a strong environmental subtext, I far prefer Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou/Yokohama Shopping Log/Quiet Country Café, though it's not exactly comparable since Mononoke has exciting action scenes and YKK... doesn't. Yes, I get bored by the slow bits of Mononoke yet I find 5 minutes of Alpha spending the entire day brewing the perfect cup of coffee and falling asleep interspersed with shots of nature reclaiming the sinking landscape around Yokohama endlessly fascinating. I'm not exactly sure why that is... I guess the atmosphere of YKK just intrigues me more.

EDIT: Why did I give it 8/10? I guess I was in a generous mood... these days, I'd give it between 6 or 7 depending on what criteria I am using.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:54 am Reply with quote
I didn't like it, and my fellow Otaku friends Ostracized me... They stopped conversing with me, they began looking down on me. They stopped caring what I said about any anime good or bad.... ALL BECAUSE I HATED A FREAKING MOVIE!!! This forced me to turn to a life on the streets. It was a hard life, but I delt with it. My many bouts with the bottle made me think of the many edits done to dragon Ball Z (man they drank a lot of "water" on that show)... Then my angry former school teacher partner made me think of GTO.... Then the acronym GTO made me think of cars.... Making me think of Initial D..... TAKUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMIIIIIIII!!!!!

Well anyway, I like other works by Miazaki. He did my second favorite Lupin Movie, and Spirited away was just genius.

also if you haven't figured it out everything between the exclamation points is tru... er.... sarcasm....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2