• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of Eva question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
At the very end spoiler[where it is explained that anyone with the will can return does this also apply to nature or is the planet a barren land of LCL for the rest of eternity?] Also spoiler[any interpretations on the final line? At first I thought Asuka was commenting on how no one else had returned aside from her and Shinji but I'm not sure what to think anymore.]
beast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
At the very end spoiler[where it is explained that anyone with the will can return does this also apply to nature or is the planet a barren land of LCL for the rest of eternity?]

That is pretty much left to speculation.. but.. [spoiler]Shinji and Asuka would have a pretty short return to life on earth if everything remained barren. Obviously the LCL would start to disappear as people started to return to the physical world. If I had to put money on it, I'd say that there is some sort of regeneration as what is left of Lillith-Rei does whatever it does. Being the mother of life on earth, I would imagine that would be her gift to her offspring. Obviously, I don't think they were trying to say that part of nature had a soul and consciousness that could experience 3rd impact, and then somehow will itself to return.[/spolier]

Cetus-kun wrote:
Also spoiler[any interpretations on the final line? At first I thought Asuka was commenting on how no one else had returned aside from her and Shinji but I'm not sure what to think anymore.]

The English translation of that line has been blasted often, and defended just as often. There are several meanings the line can have, but I would say something along the lines of spoiler[How disgusting is accurate to the situation].. Remember spoiler[.. well.. actually, first, there is a segment of an supposed interview with Asuka's seiyuu talks about how Anno didn't have a final line written, and asked for her help to come up with it. Basically, she didn't know what Shinji did over her while she was unconscious until 3rd Impact.. then she knew exactly what had taken place. The next time she is conscious as a separate being again, there is Shinji, the one who had enjoyed himself over her. What is he doing? Why, he's leaning over her! Knowing what had happened earlier, and being in such proximity to that person now, wouldn't that make you feel 'disgusting' or 'sick' or some such thing?]
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[Basically, she didn't know what Shinji did over her while she was unconscious until 3rd Impact.. then she knew exactly what had taken place.]

I never thought of that before. It makes a lot more sense to me now.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
Well the truth behind the phrase "I am Sick/How disgusting " is truly weird. Asukas seiryu answers this for us. Anno asks her " If someone comes into you room, and has a though about raping you, what would you say?" She replies to him "How disgusting", and Anno says i Knew so. I got to find the webpage on this so gimme some time .
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
NeonGEvangelion wrote:
She replies to him "How disgusting", and Anno says i Knew so. I got to find the webpage on this so gimme some time .

The wiki link quotes that exact story, and I wrote it out as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1