• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic and Kingdom of Magic (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Honestly not very surprising that spoiler[Alibaba was working with the fog troupe, the nobles of Balbadd are corrupt, and leave the lower class to starve]. I am sure spoiler[Alibaba wants to help the people, he already used a great deal of what he got from his dungeon to help people, so now he using the mortal vessel to help distribute food and wealth to the neglected people.] Also looks like we may get a backstory that may explain is past including the skills we saw earlier.

Sinbad seems like an okay guy, although a bit of an idiot to have left himself so open, but at least he has the compassion. And his companions also seem interesting, it may be unfortunate that I automatically have negative thoughts for a person called Jafar, though he looks nice.

The Fog Troupe also looked cool.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

spoiler[Alibaba... again a thief.
Just what happened in the meantime..
So he's using Amon to plunder around.
The hero of the deprived or just a continuance of his previous profession?
Guess we'll see soon enough.
Poor Aladdin... no wonder he was depressed, but that kids sees positive things everywhere.
Flashback to Alibaba's childhood was interesting to watch.
That Kassim was just bad news.
From nothing to everything to nothing to everything to nothing again.]

That's just unbelievable, but that's Alibaba's life.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8
This latest episode was nice imo in terms of the reunion between the three main characters. It was also interesting to see some of spoiler[Alibaba's past with his childhood friend Kassim] even though his childhood wasn't exactly one of the best in the world, at least in the spoiler[slums].

This episode was quite sad in a way especially the latter half.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

My mind is getting a little twisted around with watching this episode after the recent episode pf Muv-Luv.

Hmm, so Kassim spoiler[took advantage of his friendship and stole from the treasury, knocked him out, and tied him up. Said act giving the current king a quick death, which likely prevented Alibaba from ascending to king, and be able to put in reforms that could have helped the people at the bottom of the barrel]. I can totally see why Alibaba would decide to help him [/sarcasm], though I guess there will be something about spoiler[Kassim's sister dyeing from the people that makes it into some revenge thing].

But it seems that Kassim is taking advantage of Alibaba, he is putting Alibaba up as the one to target as the leader, while Alibaba is the one trying to keep it from falling into bad territory. And thus I have to root for the thieves that help the poor, though I doubt that Alibaba has a good hold on them as he would hope.

Alibaba's past was nice too.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
What a boring, overused outcome. I simply had to give up after 2 minutes. Well then, how long till he realises that becoming the king himself would solve many more issues than leading a bunch of thieves.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

So when Alibaba got to balbad he knew something was spoiler[twisted with the country, and it put it down to the Fog Troupe until he learned of the countries dark secrets. At which Kassim asked Alibaba to be their leader so he could add weight as a prince, and so they would apparently not be criminals]. Although it was only after that they spoiler[began sharing their spoils with the people, and Kassim seems very little interested in actually creating peace]. Alibaba seems blind to his friend's actual motivations and how bad he is.

I was sure thrown off by Sinbad spoiler[being so harsh to Alibaba and on the Troupe, but then wanting to join them, and calling Jafar cold hearted for not agreeing]. It would seem he was actually doing a spoiler[test of character to see how dedicated Alibaba is, I do hope he also sees what Kassim is like]. And despite all the work for showing to have the people's trust, spoiler[the current king has no interest in creating stability for the people, calling his own people maggots, and refusing to accept his half brother]. It seems that the magi has some involvment, the same guy who worked to create the nutjob sheriff, I might even theorise that he has a hand in the spoiler[eppidemic that destroyed the slums.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 9
Well, Alibaba needs to take a chill pill although I don't blame his rage too much in the latest episode. Other than that, it was nice to see Sinbad and his buddies in action and doing what they do best.

However, I am much more excited to see the next week's episode especially sincespoiler[ Judal] (who earlier showed up twice in the series) will make his official epic debut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10
Alright, spoiler[Judal] makes his epic debut officially rather than showing up for a few cameos like before.

spoiler[Holy shit though, this episode was intense. Judal makes his moves and statements clear especially demonstrated by his powers. Poor Ugo-kun though ;.;. They're fighting that crazy bastard but gets injured.] Loved this episode!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I guess the bad guy is fighting the good guy, for literally no reason. I mean, to the point where the bad guy even points out "you know, I have no freakin' clue why I started this fight." While not a bad show at all, Magi has felt way too conventional for me to get into. It follows the rules of the genre almost painfully closely. Who is a good guy (chicks), who is an incompetent bad guy (fat dudes), and who is an intelligent bad guy (skinny dudes). The good guys have no apparent motivations aside from being nice. etc.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Ugo did an excellent job of demonstrating how much he cares for Aladdin as well as what a complete badass he is, all without saying anything.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
[Post Removed. You've been warned to use spoiler tags or face having your posts deleted.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Wow, Ugo is beast, he was cool enough spoiler[holding his own and when he got injured and all, but he just kept fighting and got way tougher when Aladdin was threatened. But he seemed to get even tougher when Aladdin supposedly stopped giving him energy, and when he got stabbed seemed to get angry and pummled Judal.] We did finally get to see his face in this episode, and I think he has become a favourite now.

Judal got quite annoying and tough, but by the end of it was so satisfying to see him get hit back. There was some pretty effective use of music again, especially in the fight, but the end when they stoppeed music made the scene feel so raw.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed episode 10. The fight scenes were very exciting and there was very effective use of emotion as well throughout. This is by far my favorite series this season. Can't wait for episode 11!
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
well since black butterfly dude was used as a hamburger patty being shaped we should be seeing a funeral next episode.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[When Judal accused him of cheating because he wasn't supplying Ugo with power and that someone else must be: I think Ugo was still fighting with his own power due to his promise to be Aladdin's friend. I'm assuming Djinn usually only work for the person as long as they can supply the power for it because it's like a contract, but they don't do any extra at their own expense. Due to promising to be Aladdin's friend, such a contract isn't binding; Ugo can choose to keep helping because he wants to.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 19