• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animes with good CGI?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockhard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote
Hi

Recently I watched Appleseed and Wonderful Days and I was blown away by the quality of animation. Are there any more animes(series or movies) like this? I'm currently watching Ghost in the shell:Stand Alone Complex which has comparable animation quality. Can anyone please recommend some animes like the ones mentioned preferably with SciFI storyline?

[REMINDER: Don't list, give reasons for your posts]
kenpachi dude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote
I don't really think appelseed is anime. It's has computer graphics included. Anime is a sacred art. Computersshould not be used for anime.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:17 am Reply with quote
kenpachi dude wrote:
I don't really think appelseed is anime. It's has computer graphics included. Anime is a sacred art. Computersshould not be used for anime.

It's still anime.

And, like it or not, all anime nowadays has a good deal of computer involvement. Cels aren't used anymore. Everything is colored by computer. Many anime use computers for effects.

Anime is not some sacred, untouchable art. It changes and evolves, just like any other sort of animation (or, heck, art in general). Appleseed is animated and came from Japan, so, yeah. Still anime.
kenpachi dude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote
didn't know that. Does bleach and naruto also have computer stuff in?
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Bleach or Naruto, but odds are that there's some CG. Definately the color. Other than that? I dunno.

As for the original question... Embarassed

Have you seen The Animatrix? There's some nice-looking segments in there. There's one full CG, but others have some nice effects. I'm not too big on sci-fi anime, so that's really all I can think of.
oiattack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Anything Made By Gonzo, like Blue Submarine No. 6, Full Metal Panic!, Final Fantasy Unlimited, GANTZ, Last EXILE, Peace Maker Kurogane, Samurai 7, Trinity Blood, and Vandread
beast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I heard that the Macross Zero OVA uses a lot of CG.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Even though they're over 10 years old, AKIRA and Macross Plus still boast some of the best CG scenes in anime.

BTW, oiattack, I'm surprised you didn't mention Yukikaze among the Gonzo titles you listed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Xyex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
kenpachi dude wrote:

Never seen Bleach. But Naruto does, quite a lot. Aside from all the coloring being done on computer, there's several scenes where the BG is CG. I can think of the water tunnel during the Zabuza arc and of the room where the prelims are held during the Exams. (Several scenes replace the normal 2D BG with a 3D one for effect.)
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
kenpachi dude wrote:

You'd have to be completely blind not to see the CG effects in Bleach and Naruto. As I haven't seen much of Naruto I can only speak for Bleach. you know all those scenes with Ichigo of anyone else running through corridors? Guess what.........CG. Pretty much any series could use CG. The ones where you don't notice it are really well done. Some of the best CG have been in Studio Ghibli films such as Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
oiattack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
BTW, oiattack, I'm surprised you didn't mention Yukikaze among the Gonzo titles you listed.

I haven't really seen it yet, though I do want to.
I just listed what I've seen, that i know is good.

For a more complete list you can always look here

http://www.animenfo.com/animestudio,44,jurcem,gonzo__12288_di.html
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
To me, the ultimate in good CG in an anime is Howl's Moving Castle.
Kin7cato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Unlike other animes Appleseed abuses CG. And Cell Shaded Graphics.

Probably because its easier to use CG and Cell Shaded graphics than it is to animate frame by frame.

Its called the lazy syndrome. When over 3/4's of the anime is all special effects.

Because the art staff does not possess enought talent to actually draw frame by frame.

I think they even used motion capture for their characters.
Thats too extreme.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The intention with Appleseed was to make a CG movie, that's like saying the Incredibles abused CG despite the fact it was a CG movie. It's far from lazy to create those fully CG scenes to the degree of detail that they did and to produce a movie like Appleseed would take more work than if they'd done it in the standard style. Contrary to what some believe, CG is not some magical world creator that's incredibly simple to use
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oiattack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
The intention with Appleseed was to make a CG movie, that's like saying the Incredibles abused CG despite the fact it was a CG movie. It's far from lazy to create those fully CG scenes to the degree of detail that they did and to produce a movie like Appleseed would take more work than if they'd done it in the standard style. Contrary to what some believe, CG is not some magical world creator that's incredibly simple to use

Well said!

If you look back at the first appleseed, it was thought of as one of the greatest anime movies. So of course with the second on they'd do something to recreate the feel in a modern way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2