• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Robotech question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagakure

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 11:11 pm Reply with quote
You guys sure are nostalgic about Robotech. I had got some money, and Robotech DVDs are really cheap, so I figured what the hey, why not check it out.

I never had the benefit of seeing it air on TV. So this was the first time I had ever seen anyhting Macross. I watched it about an hour ago. Some DAMN GOOD STUFF.

But I don't get it. How does Robotech relate to Macross? What is the Macross Saga exactly? And is there a subbed version of Robotech? (even though the dub on this one is pretty good.)

Please don't kill me for my ignorace Wink ...
Thanks!
Case

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hagakure wrote:

But I don't get it. How does Robotech relate to Macross? What is the Macross Saga exactly?

Robotech is actually made up of three totally seperate Japanese anime series: Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Super Dimensional Calvary Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada.

When the American company called Harmony Gold picked up the rights to SDF Macross in 1984, they decided that television would be the best medium for the show. But SDF Macross by itself is only 36 episodes long, and 65 episodes is the minimum for network television syndication in the United States. So, to compensate, Harmony Gold (led by a notable man named Carl Macek) bought the rights to Southern Cross and Mospeada, which were produced by many of the same people and shared many plot ideas with Macross. The three shows were fused together into one 85-episode long series based primarily on the plot of SDF Macross, and were released under the name "Robotech".

The three arcs of the Robotech story correspond to the original three series: The "Macross Saga" is SDF Macross, "Robotech Masters" is Southern Cross, and "New Generation" is Mospeada.

If you'd like more information on the differences between the original Japanese and the American adapation, you can check out THE ROBOTECH FAQ:
http://www.foundonline.com/robotech/misc/faq.html

Hagakure wrote:

And is there a subbed version of Robotech?

No; not per se. "Robotech", Harmony Gold's adaptation of the three series, was only produced in a dubbed format. Commercially subtitled anime wasn't as popular back in the 80's (when HG "made" Robotech) as it is today.

There IS a subtitled version of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross in production, though. AnimEigo worked on restoring and subtitling the series for the past several year, and released it in limited quantities last year as a preorder-only boxset. They are supposed to start releasing it to retail stores in three-disc sets starting this summer. (And as individual volumes later this year or next year.)

Commercial subs of Southern Cross and Mospeada are not available at this time. There are probably fansubs out there but, just looking at all of the restoration work AnimEigo did on SDF Macross, I doubt that they would be worth your time.
Confused
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 12:28 am Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:

Hagakure wrote:

And is there a subbed version of Robotech?

No; not per se. "Robotech", Harmony Gold's adaptation of the three series, was only produced in a dubbed format. Commercially subtitled anime wasn't as popular back in the 80's (when HG "made" Robotech) as it is today.

There IS a subtitled version of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross in production, though. AnimEigo worked on restoring and subtitling the series for the past several year, and released it in limited quantities last year as a preorder-only boxset. They are supposed to start releasing it to retail stores in three-disc sets starting this summer. (And as individual volumes later this year or next year.)

You're probably too young to remember, but Streamline did do a series of tapes with two episodes of Robotech followed by the corresponding episodes of Macross, but these were a b!tch to find (especially before there were places like Anime Nation). I'm not sure if they did it for Mospaedia and I'm almost certain they didn't do this for Southern Cross. Anyone know if they also did the hybrid Robotech/Macross volumes on LD?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ramen

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 2:54 am Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:

Commercial subs of Southern Cross and Mospeada are not available at this time. There are probably fansubs out there but, just looking at all of the restoration work AnimEigo did on SDF Macross, I doubt that they would be worth your time.

The subs are not available yet, but ADVision has picked up the rights to release both Southern Cross and Mospeada here in the US. I beleive both were considered failures in Japan, so it will be interesting to see how well they do here.

What I'm waiting for is someone to licence Macross: Do You Remember Love. Then my life will be complete! Smile I guess I should probably take a look at Macross 7 at some point too...never got around to it Confused

One other point of confusion I'd like to clear us is that the Robotech and Macross storylines are seperate and have nothing to do with each other. I've been asked before, "Is The Sentinels the same as Macross Plus? They are not because one is in the Robotech universe and the other is in the Macross universe. Robotech is not, and was never, considered a true dub of Macross. Oh boy, I hope that didn't confuse anyone more...

sailormech, I'm impressed with your knowledge on this subject. You sure you're still in high school Razz

Tenchi wrote:
You're probably too young to remember, but Streamline did do a series of tapes with two episodes of Robotech followed by the corresponding episodes of Macross, but these were a b!tch to find (especially before there were places like Anime Nation). I'm not sure if they did it for Mospaedia and I'm almost certain they didn't do this for Southern Cross. Anyone know if they also did the hybrid Robotech/Macross volumes on LD?

Are you talking about he perfect collection release? I never picked any up, but I do recall seeing tapes for all three generations at my local comic shop...It think. I know there was a release of Macross and Mospeada for sure, and I also know they never finished releasing the whole series. I have no idea if they did an LD release, but I doubt it.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 10:43 am Reply with quote
okay.... 5th time's the charm:

LIVE Entertainment apparently did LDs back in 1994. I don't know if they were the Dub+Sub ones you're talking about or not..

FHE (Family Home Entertainment) may have also done Robotech LDs, but I can only find vague references to the series. It seems this was dub-only, but I can't guarantee that it even existed (darn you, internet! why aren't you giving me the information i need to know?)

Hope this helps.. or at least mildly confuses..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ramza
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 11:12 pm Reply with quote
There are a few FHE Robotech LD's on ebay so they do exist.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the F.H.E. LDs were the "Perfect Collection"; I think they were just LD versions of the regular Robotech VHS releases. F.H.E. didn't handle the "Perfect Collection", that was just Streamline.

I did a little research, and, according to this page at Joy's Japanimationthere were "Pefect Collection" tapes for all 3 series, but only 8 volumes were ever produced for Macross, and 7 each for Mospeada and Southern Cross, with only the 2 different versions of 2 episodes per tape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Addendum to my previous post:

It seems that commercial subs of Super Dimensional Calvary Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada may be available very soon.

According to [url=http://www.animenation.net/news/"]Anime Nation[/url], ADV announced at the Project A-kon convention that "The classic Southern Cross, Genesis Climber Mospeada and Aura Battler Dunbine TV series will be released in multi-disc DVD sets."

You can find the article in today's news (Wednesday, June 5th [2002]), under the heading "AD Vision News from Project A-kon".

And thanks for the info Tenchi! I had heard of the Perfect Collection before, but I was never quite sure exactly what it contained.
Very Happy
skullone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:29 pm Reply with quote
There are rumors, according to which, Animeigo wants to license it and promote it in the US, subtitled.

If this is true, I hope Shin Kurokawa's departure won't negatively affect the quality.
Case

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:38 pm Reply with quote
skullone wrote:

There are rumors, according to which, Animeigo wants to license it and promote it in the US, subtitled.

Uhm.... Like I said in my previous post, AD Vision is the company that made the annoucement, so I'm guessing they will be the ones to release it; not AnimEigo.
Neutral
skullone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about DYRL, to which HG never had any license of any sort.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:26 pm Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:

It seems that commercial subs of Super Dimensional Calvary Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada may be available very soon.

Actually, that's pretty old news, I'm sure ANN covered it a long time ago.
Ramen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:41 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

sailormech wrote:

It seems that commercial subs of <i>Super Dimensional Calvary Southern Cross</i> and <i>Genesis Climber Mospeada</i> may be available very soon.

Actually, that's pretty old news, I'm sure ANN covered it a long time ago.

Yes, this is pretty old news. Umm, in fact, I stated as much earlier in this thread. Read people!! Razz heh ... and I hope DYRL rumors are true. That would be awesome.
Case

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:21 am Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:

Yes, this is pretty old news. Umm, in fact, I stated as much earlier in this thread. Read people!! Razz heh ... and I hope DYRL rumors are true. That would be awesome.

I knew somebody had aquired the licenses, but this is the first information related to an actual release that I have heard. You have to admit, a license and a release are two very different things. They can sit on those things and do absolutely nothing with them for an eternity. (How long has Disney been sitting on those Studio Ghibli licenses, anyway?)

And I don't seem to remember reading anything about the Mospeada or Southern Cross licenses on this site. But I've only hung around the site for about a year, so I could have easily missed it if it's indeed as old as you make it sound.
Crying or Very sad

skullone wrote:

I was talking about DYRL, to which HG never had any license of any sort.

Yes, I did forget to read your message's subject line. I tend to ignore them since most people in the forums I frequent use them as attention-getters, rather than as an introduction. I generally read all of what is written anyway and don't bother to skip between posts based on their stated subject, so they aren't usually of any use to me.

Gomen.
Case

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Second Addendum to my previous posts:

AnimEigo has announced that their remastered, uncut and unedited, subtitled only DVD version of the Superdimensional Fortress Macross TV series will debut to retailers and mainstream customers on July 1st. The first "mini boxed set" released on July 1st will contain 3 DVD discs and 12 episodes, the first third of the television series. The set will retail for $88.

A quick visit to http://www.animeigo.com/ reveals that ALL THREE mini-boxes are actually complete and available for order directly from AnimEigo. There is no indication of exactly what date each volume is supposed to street, however.

This will be the first time AnimEigo's Macross DVDs will be available at retail outlets.

That is all. Smile

_
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2